v18 Unable to get artist images to work
Any success @Yponac ?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Lightbulb 
(2021-01-05, 20:49)Yponac Wrote: That is the artist name. The scanned folder names has been obfuscated as I do not wish to share my entire library publicly.

I doubt anyone here cares about your library. If it's really that much of a concern, copy a few albums to a "test" folder and set that as your source. You'll have a much smaller log, as well. After you figure out the problem change it back to your main source.
(2021-01-07, 23:02)burcs Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 20:49)Yponac Wrote: That is the artist name. The scanned folder names has been obfuscated as I do not wish to share my entire library publicly.

I doubt anyone here cares about your library. If it's really that much of a concern, copy a few albums to a "test" folder and set that as your source. You'll have a much smaller log, as well. After you figure out the problem change it back to your main source.
Most likely no one cares about my library, but remember that everything you put online is there, forever. 

Anyway, your idea is solid. I'll do something similar next time it's needed.

Cheers,
-Yp
(2021-01-07, 00:11)Karellen Wrote: Any success @Yponac ?

Sortof? Once I found the context menu I was able to try and refresh/select the artist image that I wanted. I wasn't able to get it to do it automatically (even with images named folder.jpg), but I was happy enough to be able to do it manually.

I have another thread open on the forums regarding a slow rescan upon restart, in there it was suggested that I swap from SMB to NFS. Funnily enough once I did that, the rescan did start to see the folder.jpg images for artists and set them! If this is due to me removing the old source and adding a new one, or if it's just a side effect of me having set them manually first, I don't know. In several cases I had set the artist image to a file _not_ named folder.jpg, that seems to have become undone. 

My plan from here on is to try and convert all images I have to jpg (I have quite a lot of artist images in png) and have Kodi rescan for them.

As an aside, when selecting choose artwork in the context menu, if there was a folder.jpg file available, the file browser window jumps directly into the artist folder, however, if no folder.jpg file is available, you end up at the initial file browser location. In my case, it then involves quite a number of folders to jump down into (and I guess some connection plumbing is done since opening the SMB share takes a extra seconds), making the whole procedure take a lot longer. If I could suggest an improvement it would be that when selecting the artist image from the context menu, that Kodi should always start in the artist folder.

Thanks for checking in @Karellen !

Cheers,
-Yp
(2021-01-10, 11:37)Yponac Wrote: Sortof? Once I found the context menu I was able to try and refresh/select the artist image that I wanted. I wasn't able to get it to do it automatically (even with images named folder.jpg), but I was happy enough to be able to do it manually.
Let me make some assumptions...
1. You have scanned your music files into the library. You may have also scraped additional information at the same time
2. You have local artwork that you would like to use in the library
3. After advice from me, you ran the Export Artist folders which successfully created all your artist folders.
4. You have now added your local artwork into the Artist folders.
5. Now you want to know how to get Kodi to read the new Artwork you added

The problem here is the chicken and egg scenario. You need your Artist folders to be created, but you can't do that until you add your music to the library. After the music is scanned, then you miss out on the artist scan.

@DaveBlake has been working on a bulk art refresh feature, that would quickly solve the above scenario. Unfortunately he has been distracted with releases and other fixes so he has not quite completed the feature. Looks like it will be bumped to v20.

If you are using v18, there is really only one option. Start again. Delete your music library, then rescan it. This time you have both Artist folders and Music files available and they will be scanned in the same process.

If you are using v19, in Music>Files pick "scan to library" in the context menu, and say "yes" to scanning even when files unchanged. That does not work for artist art in v18, and while in v19 it will fill gaps in artist art (even for previously scraped artists), it will not switch links from remote to local.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-01-05, 12:01)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 11:21)RobinTW Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 11:16)jjd-uk Wrote: Query All Artists

Where is it?

Make sure default scraper is set, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Mu...nformation , then it's simply Query info for all artists from the Context menu on any Artist within the Artist node see https://kodi.wiki/view/Scraping_Music
Is it possible to scrape info on the fly, meaning only when a song/album/artist is selected?  Building a library for a large collection of albums takes a long time and scraping info of it takes even longer.  If there is no such feature, I would like to make a request for this feature.
(2021-01-13, 07:09)RobinTW Wrote: Is it possible to scrape info on the fly, meaning only when a song/album/artist is selected? 
Additional information and artwork for a single artist or album can be (re-)scraped by clicking the "Refresh" button on the Album/Artist Information dialog for the selected artist or album. The Album/Artist Infomation dialog is displayed when click on "Information" on the context menu when viewing and artists or albums node.

(2021-01-13, 07:09)RobinTW Wrote: Building a library for a large collection of albums takes a long time and scraping info of it takes even longer. 
Yes scraping takes time, quite reasonably as a free resource the remote sites throttle data access. However it can be done in the background while listening to music, watching video or browsing either library.
(2021-01-13, 13:41)DaveBlake Wrote: Additional information and artwork for a single artist or album can be (re-)scraped by clicking the "Refresh" button on the Album/Artist Information dialog for the selected artist or album. The Album/Artist Infomation dialog is displayed when click on "Information" on the context menu when viewing and artists or albums node.

It would be a lot more convenient and user friendly if the info can be scraped when a song/album/artist is highlighted without bringing out the context menu and clicking "Information".  If it's too much of work, then never mind.  Thanks a lot.
It might be "belt and suspenders" but i still run artwork beef for local artwork.  My general workflow is to add new music, scan with "get additional info" off (my artists are obscure so mostly I will get wrong artists on an auto scrape).  Then I export all artists / album artists / other artists to my AIF.  Now I manually add art and data into the nfo files.  Then I can restart kodi and do a "query info for all artists".  But that has a side effect if some of your new nfo files haven't been updated Kodi will still treat the artist as having been scraped so "query info for all" will never try again to update the artist.  So you have to go one-by-one through the artist information dialogs and refresh.  The AB addon will go through your local AIF and add any new art it finds.

As far as file types, png art will work and in the past XBMC thumbnails (tbn) worked but I think support for that was removed.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to get artist images to work0