• 73(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
@Buschel,

Looks like a lot of fixes. Thanks! Unfortunately it looks like your fears were realized… I’ve encountered somewhat serious numerous regressions.

1) Start on movies. Set grid view. Then flip back to list view. Now tap in the search bar. The index has now duplicated itself. It looks like both list view and grid view indexes are visible since they are not aligned (grid view index is inset more). (Screenshot below)

2) The search box itself can easily be duplicated. Tap in the search box. Now pull down again, a second search box will pull down from under the active one.

3) The alphabetical headers over each group of movies are also shifted in grid view. No action required to see this. They’re just plain indented. In fact there’s other issues with the headers. The first one is not visible until you tap in the search bar but then the second header disappears. Repeatedly tapping cancel will reproduce the same issue, flipping between the top header and second header being visible.

4) I’m also seeing some new graphical artifact when flipping between grid view and list view. I’m certain this never happened before as I would be sensitive to it. I’m attaching a screenshot of these white bars I’m seeing. Looks like a new animation?

Edit: these strange white pillars are only visible flipping views for TV shows. It’s definitely new.

5) It is still possible to duplicate the settings menu on iPad. One additional step is required from the old method. You have to open a settings window like normal and then tap the “more” button. Now you can bring up the remote and open settings again. The floating panes will now be duplicated.

The rest of your fixes appear to be working as intended. 🙂

Edit 2: New observation. The vertical scroll bar is not visible in list view but is visible in grid view.

Also related to the scroll bar - it’s barely visible in grid view when using light theme. Again, not visible in list view at all.

New observation 2: When loading the “more” pane from settings the buttons on the footer appear left justified and the a second layer shift over to the right a slight amount.

Edit 3: Regression discovered. This actually regressed back in 1.11 build 3466 - prior to this there was no problem. If you are in the settings pane and you tap the “open box” button on the footer or the “box and filmstrip” button and attempt to use grid view nothing is visible. List view works fine.
When you are in some full screen view and touch Cancel on the search bar, the A-Z index disappears. Is this the intended behavior?
(1) Index. Confirmed, and I can already see the error in the code. Sorry for that.
(2) Doubled Searchbar. Confirmed, but not a regression. It's like this since 1.11. Does not worry me too much, but I will keep on the ToDo list.
(3) I had seen this a while back and fixed this for the use case I was seeing. Can you help me reproduce this? I just tested again on my iPhone Xs simulator and cannot see this.
(4) Flippig artifact. Oh my...
(5) Doubled custom button view. Yes, I am aware. But at least you cannot just add dozens of views by just hitting the gear. I mentioned the rework options in one my longer post a few days back. I am not planning to rework this further any soon.
(6) Vertical scroll bar. Confirmed, but no regression. Depends on light and dark mode, in list view it is visible in light mode, in grid view in dark mode. No-one ever has reported this, you have eagle eyes.
(7) "...more" button animation. Confirmed, but no regression.. It's like this for ages.
(8) Emtpy grid view. Confirmed, quickly checked and it came in with 1.11 already but was not reported yet.

1 will be easy to fix, 3 I need your support for reproduction (which iPhone ans iOS?), 4 is worrying me as I am even seeing more issues (in light mode), 6 I need to figure out how to set the scrollbar color, 8 I will also take a look at. The others I am not bothering too much about.
(2022-11-17, 07:22)UlfSchmidt Wrote: When you are in some full screen view and touch Cancel on the search bar, the A-Z index disappears. Is this the intended behavior?
No, it's not. In the former version you could not encounter this as the cancel button was out of the screen. I am even surprised to see this happening as the search is not active and cancel should not have any effect. Just one more thing to look at.
For #3 I don’t have to do anything. It just loads in incorrectly. In fact if you look closely you will see another problem with those headers. The text is squished and the top and bottoms are clipped a little bit. I didn’t notice that until I changed the sorting to year where there is a lot more text visible.

Using iPhone 12mini 15.7.1

4) Just to be clear you only see those white pillars for a split second. I had to take a screenshot of a video frame to capture it. It definitely only happens in the TV shows list though.

Regarding the cancel button on search- as mentioned above even for me it was having an effect with the flipping of which headers were visible. I’d probably have to take a video to show exactly what I mean though.
(1) Index. Confirmed. -> Fixed.
(3) I was misunderstanding you. The indentation I really cannot reproduce here. Tested also on iPhone Mini 12 15.5 and 16.0 simulator.
(4) TV Show animation. Confirmed. -> Fixed
(6) Vertical scroll bar. Confirmed. -> Fixed
(8) Emtpy grid view. Confirmed. -> Fixed

I have also fixed another crash on iPad and seem to have a reproducible other crash related to section handling I was not seeing before. Next thing for tonight is (4) which really bothers me, as I am seeing again issues with wrong background color here. I really face kind of whack-a-mole here ...

Edit: (4) is fixed now as well.
Looks like you’ve made a ton of progress in fixing these findings! The quick response and effort you put in is really incredible.

So I retested #3 and there is actually a process to trigger it.

You need to toggle grid and list views back and forth. On first launch grid view headers are fine.

I recorded a video to demonstrate this, as well as the alternating visibility of the first two headers (“/“ and “#”) when starting a search. I also trigger the same thing just by pressing the cancel search button at the end of the video.

Hopefully this helps.

I’m also attaching a zoomed in view of the header where you can see the squished text issue. Also looks like some headers could be improved. There’s plenty of space for the word “Decade”.

Note: The indented text, alternating visible header and squished text with cutoff word “decade” are not an issue on the previous beta. I just rolled back to test it. Everything is fine there. Could it be something to do with the search box and index changes?

Edit: New observation. When in movie collections if you tap in the search box and attempt to interact with an index (I realize there isn’t one there) the shadow box that is underneath the index becomes visible. I took a screenshot of this. If you look closely the vertical rectangle is visible but there is no index present. You will definitely have to open the full size image to see it.

(3) Section header layout. Confirmed. -> Fixed

Thanks for sharing the details for reproduction. This was a weird regression. While working on it I found that all toolbar buttons can cause weird behaviour when used during an active search. As the App now does not hide the toolbar while having an active search with an empty search string, these issues are now seen. I am now simply blocking the toolbar buttons in this case (empty search string) as well, and stop the search when dragging while the search string is empty.
(2022-11-18, 02:00)amasephy Wrote: I’m also attaching a zoomed in view of the header where you can see the squished text issue. Also looks like some headers could be improved. There’s plenty of space for the word “Decade”.
Also fixed with (3).
(2022-11-18, 02:00)amasephy Wrote: Edit: New observation. When in movie collections if you tap in the search box and attempt to interact with an index (I realize there isn’t one there) the shadow box that is underneath the index becomes visible.
Yes, I knew this but never bothered about it. This is just the background color of the index when it is touched. I can make this transparent for both grid/list view (like it is for my contacts in the phone app).
New series of observations. I had noticed this before but struggled to reproduce. It was no easy at all to reproduce these.

I have gotten the app into two weird states. One is where you can no longer enter into the search bar. The other results in a keyboard being visible that you can’t dismiss.

1) Broken search bar. To reproduce: Go to movies. You must be in list view. Tap in the search box. Scroll to dismiss. Change the filter type to something else. Attempt to interact with the search box. You are no longer able to without restarting the app.

2) Stuck keyboard. To reproduce: Basically the same as above but be in Grid view. Once you tap in the search box a second time he keyboard is stuck until you restart it.

3) Break light theme search bar. To reproduce. Start movies with grid view. Tap in search box. Scroll. Change sort type. Switch to list view. The search box is now dark colored when it normally is white in list view in light theme.

4) Dark theme under light them search bar. To reproduce: start the app with grid view and go to movies. Switch to list view. Tap in search. Pull down. The duplicate search box is dark themed.

5) Sync message not visible. This was something you fixed awhile back but with the search bar shenanigans it can be out of view once more. To reproduce: Open movies in grid view. Tap in search bar. Pull down. Switch sort type. Pull down to resync. The message will be hidden behind the duplicate search bar.

5a) Note: the main thing I’m doing here is scrolling to dismiss and changing sort type. When I do this the search bar is actually always visible. Normally it gets hidden away when changing sort how or grid to list view but once these particular actions take place the fun begins. Many bugs surrounding these actions.

Note 2: There is only a duplicate search bar in list view by default. Once you do the steps above you will eventually get a duplicate search bar in grid view.
@amasephy, thanlks for spending the time to reproduce and document. I followed your descriptions can confirm this. The good news is that all of this is fixed with the fix for section header layout. The main problem was that the App now shows the toolbar during an active search with an empty string. I am now ending the "empty search" on drag and -- needed for iPad -- block the toolbar buttons during such "empty search".

I also found a way to get rid of the moving toolbar buttons when pressing "...more". But there are still side effects I am not clear on, they seem to be again auto layout problems. Until I have clarity on this I am not planning to apply this change.
@Buschel

I am glad your fixes were already going to fix these issues. I had a feeling your fixes were already going to improve things but given how random the issues were and how hard they were to reproduce, when I figured them out I figured it was worth documenting them here.
The toolbar button glitch is solved with a proper solution now: Video.
(2022-11-17, 07:22)UlfSchmidt Wrote: When you are in some full screen view and touch Cancel on the search bar, the A-Z index disappears. Is this the intended behavior?
Also fixed now. Together with some other issues around the index in iPad fullscreen, see PR#788.
1.11.1 build 3581
Release Notes

Many fixes and improvements. Downside is that with all changes merged I am now seeing some problems on my iPhone I was not recognizing when working on simulator and with the single changes.

1. Some stuttering in GlobalSearch as soon as music videos are shown.
2. The grid view for the settings is not working as intended anymore. Will need to look at this again, most likely a side effect of other changes which causes the fix to fail now.

Edit:
3. Another bad one (at least in since 1.11, will need to go back in time to figure out when t this came in) for iPhone: Show a list view which has an index. Press burger to go to main menu and have a the list view shown partially on the right side. Now minimize the App for a few seconds and bring it back. Now go back to the list view. Error: Index ist moved left and hides most of the list view‘s content. Only happens with iOS 16+, so just the next behavioral change of iOS.
Hi @Buschel

I tried to reproduce the remaining glitches you mentioned in my environment (iPad), but was neither able to force any of these nor do I understand all of them from your description - which might be the reason I couldn’t reproduce them Smile

(2022-11-20, 18:15)Buschel Wrote: 1. Some stuttering in GlobalSearch as soon as music videos are shown.

Seems to work seamlessly in my setup. At least I do not see any stuttering when using Global Search and scrolling thru the results.

Quote:2. The grid view for the settings is not working as intended anymore. Will need to look at this again, most likely a side effect of other changes which causes the fix to fail now.

What and where is the "grid view for settings"? This look like another feature I am completely unaware of?!

Quote:3. Another bad one (at least in since 1.11, will need to go back in time to figure out when t this came in) for iPhone: Show a list view which has an index. Press burger to go to main menu and have a the list view shown partially on the right side. Now minimize the App for a few seconds and bring it back. Now go back to the list view. Error: Index ist moved left and hides most of the list view‘s content. Only happens with iOS 16+, so just the next behavioral change of iOS.

Okay, I’m on iPad…
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0