• 18(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
Music 
(2021-05-25, 12:00)Buschel Wrote:
(2021-05-24, 21:56)UlfSchmidt Wrote: And the remote control could benefit from a complete overhaul, too.
Take a look to the GitHub issue #310. I uploaded a few more screenshots. Remote look is now consistent with new icons, but might need some color tweaking.
Maybe I should really go for a github account either…
Some mild reduced use of color for the remote would make sense, I think. Not just black and white. Life is currently gray enough, isn’t it? Wink
What I don’t like is the use of headphones as the icon for music, better use a clef icon instead? And I agree that the recordings icon should remain and not being replaced by a cassette icon.
But, as often, a matter of taste.
(2021-05-25, 12:50)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Some mild reduced use of color for the remote would make sense, I think. Not just black and white. Life is currently gray enough, isn’t it? Wink
What I don’t like is the use of headphones as the icon for music, better use a clef icon instead? And I agree that the recordings icon should remain and not being replaced by a cassette icon.
Updated to less aggressive gray colors (see GitHub). This really looks a lot better compared to the quite harsh black-and-white. I still kept the headphone logo for consistency to Kodi 19. This can be changed on tester's feedback of course. I also updated the logos for screen-toggle (upper right) and the menu (bold instead of slim bars).
(2021-05-26, 19:51)Buschel Wrote:
(2021-05-25, 12:50)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Some mild reduced use of color for the remote would make sense, I think. Not just black and white. Life is currently gray enough, isn’t it? Wink
Updated to less aggressive gray colors (see GitHub). This really looks a lot better compared to the quite harsh black-and-white. I still kept the headphone logo for consistency to Kodi 19. This can be changed on tester's feedback of course. I also updated the logos for screen-toggle (upper right) and the menu (bold instead of slim bars).
When you talk about consistency with Kodi 19, you are in fact talking about consistency with Kodi‘s standard skin Estuary?
Since I am using my own skin, I wasn’t aware of this consistency issue. But you are right, this is a valid argument for the headphones then…
(2021-05-26, 20:04)UlfSchmidt Wrote: When you talk about consistency with Kodi 19, you are in fact talking about consistency with Kodi‘s standard skin Estuary?
Since I am using my own skin, I wasn’t aware of this consistency issue. But you are right, this is a valid argument for the headphones then…
Oops, I wasn´t mentioning this: Yes, I am referring to the estuary and estouchy skins which both use headphones as "Music" icon.
(2021-05-14, 21:11)Buschel Wrote: Yes, the buttons are not functional anymore -- I dropped this and focused on better usability of the slider. Of course the button functionality can be added again, if this is felt as an important functional loss.

Edit: Raised a PR #288 for this.
Thank you for the prompt response and re-adding of this functionality. I really like and appreciate the new mute button, but like users mentioned on github, I exclusively use the up and down buttons to control volume in small increments. Using the slider is difficult on my original-generation iPhone SE, which is the size of an iPhone 5S.
(2021-05-27, 05:46)darwin Wrote: Thank you for the prompt response and re-adding of this functionality. I really like and appreciate the new mute button, but like users mentioned on github, I exclusively use the up and down buttons to control volume in small increments. Using the slider is difficult on my original-generation iPhone SE, which is the size of an iPhone 5S.
You´re welcome. I really underestimated the importance of this feature. It was good to receive the feedback quite quick to be able to fix this with 1.7.1 in short time. It will help to have more users also working with the TestFlight beta versions to get such feedback before we release. That´s why a link to this thread was added in the AppStore release notes.
As I reworked the buttons and also the remote view itself to use newer / modern icons (see GitHub #310) I thought an updated App icon would be underlining this change. What I tried to do:
- Use the Kodi logo (in its blueish color)
- Visualize the remote (mainly via the 4 navigate buttons)
- Few colors only
- Less 3D look

I came across a variety of ideas, some of them in my opinion do not work well when scaled to the final App icon size, some are too reduced, some are quite nice (won´t share my favourites for now). Let me know your opinion.

https://abload.de/img/icon_overviewpmkap.png
A5 or C5 are my personal favorites.
Another thought: can’t we get rid of this ugly comic font used for the help screen. It looks so 1990! Wink
(2021-06-04, 15:08)UlfSchmidt Wrote: A5 or C5 are my personal favorites.
Another thought: can’t we get rid of this ugly comic font used for the help screen. It looks so 1990! Wink
Thanks, let´s see what others are in favour of. I am personally in for a more drastical change, like in column G. Somehow I find the idea quite nice to change the Kodi icon itself and let its corners represent the up/down/left/down arrows. Clean and minimalistic. I admit that the arrows need some color and form tweaking to seamlessly melt with the logo.

On your help screen comment: Oh yes, I would also like to remove this and added some thoughts in GitHub #317. Problem is that the text font is not selectable, the help screens are images. For the updated remote icons change I already moved the new buttons on top of the old ones and kept the text. As a cleaner solution I could either redraw the help screen with a "normal" font -- e.g. in PowerPoint -- and create images again. This will require some work to process the different languages with all their special fonts. Or I go for a programming solution (which I locally already did). This will allow to add localized strings and also change the help screen at a later point of time. But: The layout is a really nasty thing as the text labels are difficult to handle with different screen sizes and text contents. It will look different for each screen resolution and each language. Most flexible but hard to handle. Same applies to the gesture help screen.
By the way, does anyone really need these help screens? There is no need to explain the obvious. Smile
(2021-06-04, 17:41)UlfSchmidt Wrote: By the way, does anyone really need these help screens? There is no need to explain the obvious. Smile
Well, I see some of the buttons are not fully self explanatory -- like subtitle, audio streams and fullscreen toogle. I was also not aware of the longpress functions for some buttons.
Took only a few hours time to update help view images. It helped that I already worked on this and had some of the already done. Here are some impressions of how the help screens now look like. The screenshots only show English (on iPhone Xs) and German (on iPad 5G). The other languages are also updated, but reviews are required to check if there are any typos.

Screenshots:
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-ib5j8p.png
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-idkj8m.png

Next thing is to look at the gesture help screens.
Pssst! <oberlehrer>Du hast bei "Audio Spuren" eine Leerstelle, die da nicht hingehört: Audiospuren, bitte!</oberlehrer> Wink
(2021-06-05, 06:57)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Pssst! <oberlehrer>Du hast bei "Audio Spuren" eine Leerstelle, die da nicht hingehört: Audiospuren, bitte!</oberlehrer> Wink
Fixed Smile

Also updated the gesture zone images now:
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-iv5kec.png
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-itbkel.png
On the AppIcon part my last drafts are converging on a very reduced visualization. Mainly using the official Kodi icon, then applying some alpha except for the parts which refer to the remote´s navigations buttons and putting a background. The "Kodi"-blue is either used in the icon itself or for the background. These icons looks pretty good when scaled down the icon size f the devices. I also screenshots taken from the iPhone Xs simulator.

https://abload.de/img/icon_overview_2jej9u.png (overview)
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-iztktx.png (iPhone variant 1)
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-iepkva.png (iPhone variant 2)
https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-iv4k89.png (iPhone variant 3)

If at all we are going to change the icon, I will of course need to check, if it is formally ok to change the icon like this.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0