• 29(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
@UlfSchmidt, @ksooo, thanks for the quick feedback!
ksooo Wrote:Now lets give your other pending modifications a go! Thanks and use the rainy weekend to the outmost extent possible.
On its way. Smile
ksooo Wrote:What also should be fixed is to separate between timers (planned recordings) and timer rules. Currently there is only timers, mixing rules and timers in one view, nothing a user can work with.
As I am not using timer rules, maybe you can point me in the right direction. How can this be differentiated via the JSON API? Simply via the property istimerrule?
(2021-10-30, 17:41)Buschel Wrote: @UlfSchmidt, @ksooo, thanks for the quick feedback!
ksooo Wrote:Now lets give your other pending modifications a go! Thanks and use the rainy weekend to the outmost extent possible.
On its way. Smile
ksooo Wrote:What also should be fixed is to separate between timers (planned recordings) and timer rules. Currently there is only timers, mixing rules and timers in one view, nothing a user can work with.
As I am not using timer rules, maybe you can point me in the right direction. How can this be differentiated via the JSON API? Simply via the property istimerrule?

Yes, just „timerrule“
I’m using the latest beta version and noticed massive amounts of stutter while scrolling the TV Shows list. I thought it might have been only the first time scrolling through while it cached the banners but repeat scrolls result in the same choppiness. There is no problem with scrolling through Movies.

Using iOS 14.8.1 with an iPhone 12 mini so it can’t be a device performance issue.

I really like the swipe back gesture being enabled on the remote screen. Makes the navigating the app feel more natural. Glad this was quickly added to the beta. I see my other idea of play/pausing was added to the GitHub issue tracker. Looking forward to the introduction of that feature.

I also noticed something else recently reported that I always felt was off, that being the skip forward and back steps. It always seemed like skipping forward on TV shows varied how much it skipped ahead. While on movies it seems like it matches the system setting of 30 seconds. I finally confirmed that there was something off with the app when comparing it to using my Xbox controller and found that it acted as expected there and that the app had the inconsistent behavior.

I had a potential idea for the dark theme of this app. Would it be possible to tweak the theme to use more true blacks? I ask this because newer devices are starting to use OLED panels and the try black would actually turn off the pixel lighting yielding greater contrast and possibly a minute amount of power savings. I don’t think an all black screen would look great but potentially the back panel of the remote screen being true black and maybe leaving the buttons as they are or maybe vice versa? Just a thought.

One final question- I noticed there was a note on GitHub regarding iOS 15 bugs. Is this app ready for iOS 15 or is that still being worked on? I typically wait to update iOS until Apple starts releasing their x.1 or later releases but also want to make sure apps I use are without major issues in new OS releases as well.

Thanks again for all of the active development of this app!
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: I noticed there was a note on GitHub regarding iOS 15 bugs. Is this app ready for iOS 15 or is that still being worked on?

if you mean https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Re...issues/411, then it only happens when toolchain used to build the app is updated. Currently we use an older toolchain to build betas/releases and with it there are no bugs on iOS 15 afaik.
ksooo Wrote:Yes, just „timerrule“
Ok. I created a GitHub issue to look into this: #444. The feature seems possible, I just need to find a good way to hook it up to the UI.
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: I’m using the latest beta version and noticed massive amounts of stutter while scrolling the TV Shows list. I thought it might have been only the first time scrolling through while it cached the banners but repeat scrolls result in the same choppiness. There is no problem with scrolling through Movies.
Can you check if this vanishes when disabling the "rounded corner" feature in the settings? Can you also try to roll back to older versions in TF and test, if a specific version introduced this?
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: I also noticed something else recently reported that I always felt was off, that being the skip forward and back steps. It always seemed like skipping forward on TV shows varied how much it skipped ahead. While on movies it seems like it matches the system setting of 30 seconds. I finally confirmed that there was something off with the app when comparing it to using my Xbox controller and found that it acted as expected there and that the app had the inconsistent behavior.
So, you would expect the seek/skip to use the +/-30 seconds? You are using the seek buttons or the navigation left/right buttons?
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: I had a potential idea for the dark theme of this app. Would it be possible to tweak the theme to use more true blacks? I ask this because newer devices are starting to use OLED panels and the try black would actually turn off the pixel lighting yielding greater contrast and possibly a minute amount of power savings. I don’t think an all black screen would look great but potentially the back panel of the remote screen being true black and maybe leaving the buttons as they are or maybe vice versa? Just a thought.
This is in general possible. Currently the background uses a bit of grey to have some contrast to the buttons themselves. When I was using pure black buttons during the initial remote rework this was not readable well. So I was not looking into this further.
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: Thanks again for all of the active development of this app!
Welcome! Smile
(2021-10-30, 19:45)kambala Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 19:05)amasephy Wrote: I noticed there was a note on GitHub regarding iOS 15 bugs. Is this app ready for iOS 15 or is that still being worked on?

if you mean https://github.com/xbmc/Official-Kodi-Re...issues/411, then it only happens when toolchain used to build the app is updated. Currently we use an older toolchain to build betas/releases and with it there are no bugs on iOS 15 afaik.

Yes that is what I saw. Glad it’s just affecting Xcode and not the distributed app. Thank you for clarifying.
Sorry about not replying to the previous message the normal way. I find it very confusing to try and quote a long message like the one above while on mobile.

Disabling rounded corner does eliminate the issue! Interestingly I don’t really notice a visual difference and I can usually detect slight differences.

For the seeking I finally dug in and tested on various media. This one just got more puzzling.

Here’s my findings - note I’m on 18.9 on Xbox which you may or may not know of all the current issues with Kodi on Xbox. When I saw trouble coming months ago I disabled automatic updates to prevent Kodi from immediately upgrading and this saved myself a lot of headaches users are currently having. With that said here’s the behaviors I’m seeing.

Xbox remote D-Pad while playback paused:

First slow 3 taps skips 10 seconds
4th tap always skips 16 seconds
5th tap skips 20 seconds
6th tap skips 20 seconds
7th tap skips 10 seconds.

Under the current movie time/movie duration a notification displays showing “seeking +10 seconds” each time which clearly is broken.

While playback is active it skips ahead 20 seconds and maybe + a few more seconds randomly.

While double tapping seek which is supposed to skip 30 seconds (as displayed on the hud “seeking 30 seconds) it always skips 40 seconds.)

With the app using either seek buttons or the navigation left right buttons (both appear to exhibit identical behavior)

Payback paused:

First tap: skip 30 seconds, no hud notification.

Second tap: skip 36 seconds, no hud notification.

Third tap: skip 40 seconds.

Playback active:

First tap: skip 40 seconds
Second tap: roughly 40 seconds
Third tap: roughly 30 seconds?

With app double tap does not appear to be detected and thus the seek amount seems to be fixed and does not increment like using the physical controller.

Now here’s the biggest curiosity. When I play back different movies the actual skip time varies!

Seeking back times differ from seeking forward. This appears to be the same for both Xbox controller and the app.

Strangely, while using the controller it initially skips as expected and then a fraction of a second later skips an additional random amount. For example a single press will skip 10 seconds and the currently movie time reflects this, and then without any interaction less than a second later an additional variable amount extra gets skipped to. Very weird. The app does not exhibit this behavior.

I guess there are a bunch of issues that need to be looked into regarding seeking on Kodi. The app definitely seems to use its own behaviors. It would be nice to see the hud reflect seeking like using a physical remote. Having consistent seeking across the controller and app would be ideal, and having Kodi seek correctly would also be great but I realize that is outside the scope of this thread. I wonder if this is a known issue.

Sorry for the long post but figured it was time I compile my findings.
@amasephy, thanks for the detailed response.

1. Loss of performance with active "rounded corner": I understood the basic problem and am working on a solution.
2. Seeking: I definitely will have a deeper look into this. The current seek-implementation is using so-called big and small step seek commands. The remote does not specifically ask for a special amount of seconds. Problematic is some special treatment which depends on the Kodi server's state (e.g. fullscreen playback, timer bar shown yes/no, and such).
(2021-10-30, 11:58)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Thank you also for the introduction of the "pull down and update" functionality for TV recordings, which also worked flawlessly during all of my tests. A much appreciated addition.
Hi @Buschel,
Just discovered a small bug with respect to TV recordings update: when starting Kodi Remote, there is no longer an automatic update of the TV recordings which happened in previous versions. So nowadays one has always to use "pull down and update" at least once after switching to TV recordings…

Kind regards,
Ulf
(2021-11-03, 22:33)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Just discovered a small bug with respect to TV recordings update: when starting Kodi Remote, there is no longer an automatic update of the TV recordings which happened in previous versions. So nowadays one has always to use "pull down and update" at least once after switching to TV recordings…
Yes, this is how it also works for all other items (like albums, artists, movies, tv shows, ...) and I did not add any special treatment for recordings. I admit, that recordings change more often. Let me take a look into the code, if this is feasible.
(2021-11-04, 08:01)Buschel Wrote:
(2021-11-03, 22:33)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Just discovered a small bug with respect to TV recordings update: when starting Kodi Remote, there is no longer an automatic update of the TV recordings which happened in previous versions. So nowadays one has always to use "pull down and update" at least once after switching to TV recordings…
Yes, this is how it also works for all other items (like albums, artists, movies, tv shows, ...) and I did not add any special treatment for recordings. I admit, that recordings change more often. Let me take a look into the code, if this is feasible.
I would not mind if an automatic refresh would be done on any item list when it is opened for the first time. Smile
(2021-11-04, 08:19)UlfSchmidt Wrote: I would not mind if an automatic refresh would be done on any item list when it is opened for the first time. Smile
I am sure this would impact the performance of the UI too much. If there are thousands of items which will be synchronized each time the user enters a menu, this will take a while.
@Buschel,
Can only speak for myself and my setup, where it takes a not recognizeable amount of time, talking about milliseconds for thousands of items.
1.8.2 build 2805
Release Notes

This update carries a huge set of changes as the release notes show. Let me point out the main changes:
  • Bugfix: Fix crash when accessing channel guide from channel group list (was a regression of the latest Radio/TV menu changes)
  • Feature: Introduce Videos main menu entry (includes optimizations for the music videos submenu as well)
  • Feature: Filter for artists and album artists (can be toggled when pressing the artist icon)
  • Improvement: Better performance when "rounded corners" is enabled (issue was reported here, mainly for the TV show view)
  • Improvement: Unified layout for detail views (nearly completely reworked the layout and content for detail views with several fixes and optimizations)

The two main features (new video menu, switchable filter for artists and album artists) and the two improments ("rounded corner" performance and the detail view layout) required quite some code changes. Even though testes as good as I could, it will be helpful if you can walk through the new and changes menus and report any glitch you should observe. Thanks!
Hi Buschel,

Here are some findings from testing on today’s latest version. Most of these issue have probably been present in previous version but one is a big bug.

1) Search bar from keyboard button - add a keyboard down button someplace to make it more obvious how to discard the keyboard screen. Currently it seems like I’m order to dismiss this keyboard screen you need to hit return, or tap one of the buttons that’s still visible above it, such has the Stop button. If you’ve ever used the MS OneNote app you will see that it has a down arrow button on the keyboard that lets you dismiss the keyboard. Right now it’s confusing on how to dismiss it.

2) Undocumented feature/ bug? - long pressing toggle full screen button pops up dialog asking about saving a resolution change? No long press ability is listed for this in the help section of the app. Seems like a bug.

3) Gesture pad gets reset to default remote button view when gesture pad is activated and you press the hamburger button and tap remote control but not from simply tapping the visible portion of the remote screen. I assume the behavior here is to reinitialize the remote screen every time the left pane remote control text is tapped, rather than retain session settings? I would expect this to be the case every time the app was freshly relaunched but not within a single session. Seems like the current state of the remote control is not preserved within a single session.

4) Here’s the biggie and this is definitely a bug. I figured out a way to trick the remote control with gesture pad enabled to have that swipe navigation behavior, which as reported to you completely breaks the navigation pad. So here’s the trick- if you just select remote control from the left pane, you’re intended functionality is rock solid. No left pane navigation gesture is possible, just remote navigation.

However, if you select the Movie category (or any category that gives you that remote icon button at the top right) from the left pane and use that nice new remote button you added at the top of the app to make getting to the remote control section from nearly anywhere the problem manifests. So go to Movies, tap the remote icon to quickly get to the remote control, tap the enable gesture pad and viola it’s broken.

5) Finally, I tested rounded corners and it’s buttery smooth. Based on your post it sounds like this was a lot of work. Thank you for taking the time to optimize that code.

6) I accidentally came upon a feature that was discussed a few pages back that you added for someone. Tapping the button icons in a view that filters things like played, not yet played, or all. I like the behavior but it’s definitely not obvious that this functionality exists unless you are reading forum posts.

Thanks for all your hard work on this app. Every release gets that much better.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0