• 34(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
That sounds good. A perfect start for a good weekend. Thanks for sharing this Smile
@Buschel

Did some quick testing and noticed one change and an inconsistency.

When accessing the normal remote and the gesture pad is enabled you are now able to swipe back to the left pane or over to the right settings pane - provided the swipe does not occur over the gesture pad. So you can do it where the buttons are above or below it. I think this is a good compromise. Although this may be unintended functionality. I’m not sure of your intentions. 🙂

The bug I find then occurs when accessing the remote from the quick icon button version of the remote - you can swipe back left to “Movies” for example even while on the gesture pad area. This is inconsistent with the normal remote where you can only swipe back outside of the gesture pad surface.

May I also be picky about one thing? The spelling of “Favourites” on the left pane is the British spelling. Is there a way to detect “current culture” like in C# and adjust based on the users territory? In the US we spell it “Favorites”. 🙂
(2021-11-20, 04:06)amasephy Wrote: Is there a way to detect “current culture” like in C# and adjust based on the users territory?

it's possible, but would require maintaining 2 translation files - for US and GB. We'd better stick to the US one and just fix that string.
(2021-11-20, 04:06)amasephy Wrote: When accessing the normal remote and the gesture pad is enabled you are now able to swipe back to the left pane or over to the right settings pane - provided the swipe does not occur over the gesture pad. So you can do it where the buttons are above or below it. I think this is a good compromise. Although this may be unintended functionality. I’m not sure of your intentions.
Yes, this is intended. Smile
(2021-11-20, 04:06)amasephy Wrote: The bug I find then occurs when accessing the remote from the quick icon button version of the remote - you can swipe back left to “Movies” for example even while on the gesture pad area. This is inconsistent with the normal remote where you can only swipe back outside of the gesture pad surface.
Yes, I confirm this. Until now I found no way to handle this yet. But as the gesture zone in general is usable I would see this as a know bug, but not a blocker. I hope you would agree.
(2021-11-20, 10:21)kambala Wrote:
(2021-11-20, 04:06)amasephy Wrote: Is there a way to detect “current culture” like in C# and adjust based on the users territory?

it's possible, but would require maintaining 2 translation files - for US and GB. We'd better stick to the US one and just fix that string.
I am fine with moving to US as a default.
(2021-11-20, 11:05)Buschel Wrote:
(2021-11-20, 10:21)kambala Wrote:

I am fine with moving to US as a default.

Kodis and WebLate default is GB. Just saying, not sure that matters.
In general it is not much effort to also create an en-us localization. Yes, it adds three more localization files: plist (anyway same as GB English), root (only FAVORITES is different) and the bigger localizable file. The latter only need to have the strings defined which need to be different, for now only "Favorites".
@Buschel

I don’t see the swipe left gesture over the gesture pad as a bad thing but then again I don’t actually use it outside of testing. As you said it functions fine. I think users would feel the edge of their device and know they may trigger the swipe back gesture.

I would be curious, does this app collect any telemetry on how the app is used. IE what percentage of users have the gesture pad activated? If I recall correctly the App Store indicates no data is collected so I’m guessing no telemetry? If you did know it would give you an idea as to how often this would even likely be an issue. I suspect most people use the normal button view.

To the others who chimed in on the American English spelling I didn’t mean to stir the pot. I wasn’t sure how much effort this was, if possible at all, and figured I would just mention it. I’m sure it’s been a known thing. As was mentioned Kodi itself spells it in the GB fashion. Although with some skins you can simply create custom categories and change the spelling yourself. With this app that is not possible. I know there are other English speaking territories like Australia but I don’t know how it is spelled elsewhere. Maybe America is the only country where we omit the U on certain words. 🙂
@amasephy 

Thanks, I also guess many would not even recognize the pan gesture inconsistency. And: yes, the App does not collect any data. Just from the fact that nobody complained about the gesture zone not working when entering via the NowPlaying screen I assume there are not too many users.

On the English US part: If the default is GB for Kodi itself, I would keep the App default like it is. But I can add the en-US support as described above. This is no rocket science. But in fact the only difference is the spelling of "Favo(u)rites". I see no other string which should be translated different between GB/US -- but I might be wrong. Wink
(2021-11-20, 15:19)Buschel Wrote: @amasephy 

Thanks, I also guess many would not even recognize the pan gesture inconsistency. And: yes, the App does not collect any data. Just from the fact that nobody complained about the gesture zone not working when entering via the NowPlaying screen I assume there are not too many users.

On the English US part: If the default is GB for Kodi itself, I would keep the App default like it is. But I can add the en-US support as described above. This is no rocket science. But in fact the only difference is the spelling of "Favo(u)rites". I see no other string which should be translated different between GB/US -- but I might be wrong. Wink

Not sure you should invent something special for translations of your app. Translations are handled using Weblate, including several en variants. En_gb is the source language, everything else (even En_us) is a translation, with separate strings.po, provided by the translation community via Weblate as PRs for your app. Not sure the iOS app has special requirements, what I described was how it works for kodi core and Kodi add-ons.
@Buschel

I did some digging in the settings section of the app and unsurprisingly there are several more words that use the British spelling. These categories match Kodi itself. Maybe this is just opening a can of worms.

For what it’s worth here we’re the words I found.

Visualisation
Synchronise
Colour
Minimise

An actual problem I did find in the settings is found by navigating to —->
Settings - Interface - Skin - Stereoscopic 3D effect strength : The description text gets cut off at the very end “For a go…”
(2021-11-20, 17:15)amasephy Wrote: I did some digging in the settings section of the app ...

If you enter the settings session (not the App settings in iOS, but the Kodi settings inside the App), you are entering the Kodi server space. The strings are coming from Kodi server itself. Either the server is still using English GB, or there are some string translations missing.
(2021-11-20, 16:53)ksooo Wrote: Not sure you should invent something special for translations of your app. Translations are handled using Weblate, including several en variants. En_gb is the source language, everything else (even En_us) is a translation, with separate strings.po, provided by the translation community via Weblate as PRs for your app. Not sure the iOS app has special requirements, what I described was how it works for kodi core and Kodi add-ons.
This would be nothing special, but just the way it is done for any other language. Maybe the additional files need a configuration change in Weblate to support it. I could just raise a PR with the changes and keep it as draft.
@Buschel

I actually never thought to check if there were additional English languages in Kodi. I just assumed the correct English region would be detected based on the device in use. I never really thought about checking and changing the translation Kodi uses.

I’ll change Kodi to use English (US) as soon as Kodi 19.4 gets released. Since I’m on 18.9, which is essentially dead on Xbox, I currently get an installation failed error when attempting to change.

As for text in the settings area pulling from Kodi, the issue I mentioned in the stereoscopic section does seem to be an iOS app issue as the full sentence is present in Kodi itself.
(2021-11-20, 18:06)amasephy Wrote: As for text in the settings area pulling from Kodi, the issue I mentioned in the stereoscopic section does seem to be an iOS app issue as the full sentence is present in Kodi itself.
Looks like the App is just truncating as there is not enough space. Maybe I'll find a way to allow more rows.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0