• 74(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
@Buschel

Testing performed on iPhone…

The first one I found before coming here to read your post was the settings grid one.

If I recall correctly the toggle for his view was never visible on the first settings screen so I know something was fishy from the start.

I can confirm massive stuttering in global search (iPhone) but it doesn’t have to do with “music videos” as I don’t have any in my library.

Edit: stutter on global search only happen when sorted by name. Sorting by type i experience no stutter.

New Regression: go to a music album or tv show. If I’m tv show tap the “i” for more show info. Now swipe back. The search box immediately drops down.

Edit: the behavior above can also be reproduced in the settings menu just start delving into the settings and then start swiping back.

Looks like there’s been a large improvement surrounding the index. It acts different now visually (a good thing). One thing I noticed that’s goofy is when resyncing in list view the index bounces. No such thing happens in grid view. I still detect a slight offset of the index compared to the two view types. Clearly the index is implemented differently.

Finally, a good observation this time, not in release notes. Triggering double search box is no longer possible. You should be bragging about this! 😉

Edit: iPad results….

1) Global search stutters with both filters here but In Name is stutters considerably worse.

2) The settings grid view works properly on iPad. I can confirm that grid view was never possible for the initial list. I’ve never seen those folder glyphs with gears in them as a grid before. They look blurry and low resolution to me. Note: as soon as you start going deeper into the settings the panes switch to list view with no mechanism to switch views.
(2022-11-20, 22:03)amasephy Wrote: I can confirm massive stuttering in global search (iPhone) but it doesn’t have to do with “music videos” as I don’t have any in my library.

Edit: stutter on global search only happen when sorted by name. Sorting by type i experience no stutter.

Now I can see and confirm the stuttering too, on iPad. But for me it happens only if I haven’t searched for anything, but simply start immediately scrolling thru the Global Search results list. Independent from whether I sort by type or by name.
What / where is this Settings Grid View? I’m lost... Sad
Go to remote, then press the gear, then press "...more". These are settings. Now enter the box (= plugins). You cannot get the grid view to work there.

Edit:
In the meanwhile I found and fixed the reason the the laggy scrolling. This was a regression by the "hand coding" I needed to hide all keyboards, as iOS was not able to. This caused the cell layout to be called with high frequency. Funnily enough I figured this out after an nice bug I called "Dr. Bibber": video.

I also could now fix the settings grid view. The fix I did simply was never working and made things even worse. I was not testing it properly.

Edit 2:
(2022-11-20, 22:03)amasephy Wrote: New Regression: go to a music album or tv show. If I’m tv show tap the “i” for more show info. Now swipe back. The search box immediately drops down.
Confirmed.
Thanks for the explanation to find what you call "Settings". Was there only once before and didn’t find it of any use.

But, what I would find really useful and what I’m missing is a way to remove unwanted - i.e. not working or not supported - options from the Power Off menu.

Earlier in my life, when I was working in the UX/UI department, I learned that unavailable options should be disabled or even removed from menus. Here the App offers me options like Power Off System (even in red), but my Shield doesn’t support this. So I get "Cannot Do That" in the end. Similar for my second Kodi system, based on LibreElec. Here, Power Off works, but other options don’t.

I would really like to reduce the number of available options shown to the single one that’s working. Any ideas how to implement this? Can you query from Kodi server which options will work?

Thanks for consideration! Smile

Ulf
@Buschel

I’m afraid I have bad news. Those white pillars you were upset about are still present but now appear while scrolling down in TV shows. If you scroll up and down several times they go away until the next app reboot. Highly distracting and far more obvious than when you had to flip between view types to see them. Note: only happens in list view.

This could be related to the stutter issue. I’m getting stutter with tv shows now.

Here’s a video of the situation along with the issue mentioned below. Equally bizarre behavior as your Dr video.

Also more bad news related to light mode. I’ll let this screenshot explain the situation. Hint: background color inconsistency behind the index.

Edit: new observation. Pretty obscure and deep but here goes. 🙂

Go to movies. Tap the ellipses (…). Tap Files. Navigate to some folder you have as a source. For me I have a main folder named “movies”. Here I have most movies in this root directory but some movies are nested in another folder. Tap such a folder. Now swipe back. The empty footer has disappeared.

Edit: the disappearing act of the footer is not so obscure. It happens in tv shows seven going to details and swiping back. Further more there’s some strange dismissal of the keyboard that can happen here too. Instead of it pulling down out of sight it can be made to slide off to the right. Posting an other video of this behavior. Please note the footer when heading into the tv show. First it’s populated with buttons. Then disappears when going to a show. Then reappears once show has loaded. Then disappears again until some swiping has occurred.

Edit: two new observations. Triggered the same way but iPad and iphone issue differs.

To reproduce: Go to music. Long press on an album. Tap Album Details. Tap the album label where the clear art normally is. You should be in ken burns mode now. Leave ken burns mode.

Iphone: you will see that up arrow that I had you implement for quickly scrolling up to the top. Here it is pointless as no scrolling is necessary or even possible.

iPad: Album art has shifted up and the top is underneath the header now.

Final edit: One last one for tonight. Mysterious vertical white line.

On iPad go to TV shows. Long press the TV show. Go to TV show details. Press the TV icon in the upper right corner of this floating pane. Slide this season/episode pane to the right but have it still be visible, not out of view entirely. The show art should be in the middle of the screen. Now enter the ken burns view. Exit ken burns. Swipe back to make the main menu visible. You will now see the vertical white line.

Final edit 2: my apologies for yet another one but this is actually the most likely bug that a casual user will encounter. The frozen progress bar on now playing - iPad only.

To reproduce: start a movie. Bring up the remote. Dismiss the remote. You can no longer interact with the progress bar, no moving the current position. To fix you must tap Now Playing from the main menu.
I will need m ore time to go through your feedback. I am becoming kind of frustrated by the TV Show stuff and now understand why the old code used a kind of tacky solution for the default thumbs which caused the thumbs to slightly overlap with the text fields (you might remember). I maybe need to undo a lot of the work of the past weeks as this is obviously leading to a too complicated solution.

Edit:
About TV Shows. The problem is that TVShows are a list view which looks like a grid view when banners are loaded. To make this look nice there are quite some tweaks required, e.g. having dark background for cells which show a banner, and automatic background where no banner is present. When using the default iOS index this different background also shows up under index (see amasephy's screenshot). I can make all views use the same App-specific index which allow transparent overlay. Looks like this, allows to remove some special treatment, behaves same and does show the iOS16 error I was mentioning earlier for the iOS index:

https://abload.de/img/simulatorscreenshot-i97fpf.png

Second major topic is that the thumbnail loaded is usually the full-width banner. If this is not present, the thumb needs to fall back to a default icon which is a lot smaller and only shown on the left side. So the layout will change from row to row depending on the content. During scrolling the next visible cell first uses the banner size (and the default thumb zoomed up the full size which causes this "two vertical line" effect -- these are the left and right border of the zoomed up TVShow icon), and later loads the banner or falls back to default with a smaller icon size. As I cannot predict what is loadable in the upcoming cells this either this effect (vertical bars) or another one (banners shrinked to small thumb one the left) will become visible until the cell "settles". Only way to resolve this is to use "fake default thumb" image which has the size of the banner and is transparent except for the default icon on the very left side. This is what was done before and really seems to work best. I need to change this all back.

Nearly all of the issues seen before in the TVShow are caused by making this specific view look nice...
I realize you are still going through my list of reported issues but I’d like to suggest something related to the tv banner art issue. What I gather from your response so far is that a bunch of workarounds were used to make this list visually appealing but made the code messy. You refactored to make the code pretty but introduced the issues.

Would it be possible to eliminate the issue by extending the banner art across the entire row instead of stopping wherever the index column starts? You are already forced to have the index overlap in grid view. I don’t see it being a big issue here in banner art view. If it worked, it would preserve all your refactoring work.
(2022-11-21, 01:25)amasephy Wrote: Go to movies. Tap the ellipses (…). Tap Files. Navigate to some folder you have as a source. For me I have a main folder named “movies”. Here I have most movies in this root directory but some movies are nested in another folder. Tap such a folder. Now swipe back. The empty footer has disappeared.
Yes, confirmed. I also saw this and with a change I already did it looks like it is back to old behaviour.
(2022-11-21, 01:25)amasephy Wrote: To reproduce: Go to music. Long press on an album. Tap Album Details. Tap the album label where the clear art normally is. You should be in ken burns mode now. Leave ken burns mode.
Iphone: you will see that up arrow that I had you implement for quickly scrolling up to the top. Here it is pointless as no scrolling is necessary or even possible.
iPad: Album art has shifted up and the top is underneath the header now.
Yes, confirmed. For iPhone this happens only for albums with few metadata (where you cannot scroll up anymore). For iPads this issue was there since 1.9 or earlier, but with more problems like arrows shown during Ken Burns view.
(2022-11-21, 01:25)amasephy Wrote: On iPad go to TV shows. Long press the TV show. Go to TV show details. Press the TV icon in the upper right corner of this floating pane. Slide this season/episode pane to the right but have it still be visible, not out of view entirely. The show art should be in the middle of the screen. Now enter the ken burns view. Exit ken burns. Swipe back to make the main menu visible. You will now see the vertical white line.
I tried and see nothing obvious. Can you post a screenshot?
(2022-11-21, 01:25)amasephy Wrote: To reproduce: start a movie. Bring up the remote. Dismiss the remote. You can no longer interact with the progress bar, no moving the current position. To fix you must tap Now Playing from the main menu.
Ouch, confirmed. It's like this since the remote popover was introduced with version 1.10.
Buschel,

Here’s a video of the white line issue.

You may already know this but it is possible to create infinite duplicate tv show panes. You make it happen by loading show details, tapping on an actor, tapping on the show they’re in and rinse and repeat. I don’t have time to demonstrate but I’m guessing a solution won’t be easy similar to the settings pane issue.

With this my testing is on pause as I’m going on holiday now.
Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your vacation! Smile

In the meanwhile I
- have a good solution for the banner default thumb
- reworked the index view (now grid / list view use the same one)
- improved some index-based scrolling (for grid view the last items were partially hidden behind the toolbar)

So, I hope this will be a good step forward again.
1.11.1 build 3632
Release Notes

This build fixes the reported regressions that were mainly caused by the rework of TV Show views and the toolbar behaviour during search. In addition several other UI glitches were fixed which I came across while testing. Two other areas now are also majorly reworked: First, the index is now using the same implementation for both list and grid view. This feels smoother, avoids an iOS16 bug I reported earlier and also resolves a visual glitch with the TV Show banner view in light mode. Second, the App is now migrated from the deprecated NSURLConnection to NSURLSession. This prepares the App for the future and also quite nicely improves the performance when synchronizing / loading from Kodi server.
Buschel,

I tested on iPhone and this build looks really good. I definitely notice a performance improvement while synchronization occurs. Very nice.

The major problems from the previous build are all now resolved.

A couple quick notes: looks like it is still possible to trigger duplicate search boxes. It doesn’t happen like it used to a couple of builds back though. I assume you are aware of this. Previously I thought with some of your changes that it wasn’t happening anymore.

I quickly reach through the GitHub notes but I can’t quite tell if the strange keyboard animation of slidding off to the right was supposed to be addressed or not. It only happens in very specific scenarios - usually when I have the app doing something it shouldn’t be doing.

Regarding the index, is it possible to adjust its position? Visually it is more comfortable to look at if it was touching the edge of the right hand of the screen like it was in previous builds in list view. Now there is no padding to the left of the index and the row item text.

With that said the build is very good overall. I made several new observations. I’m not sure if any are regressions or not.

Note! For the first two items listed below you must perform an app reboot between each for some reason or you won’t be able to reproduce them both.

1) Appearing footer after search cancel. Go to a tv show season list. Tap the search box to make it active. Tap a season to list it’s episodes. Collapse the season. Scroll to dismiss search. The footer is now present.

2) Broken search Tv show season view:
Make search box visible but not active. Tap a season to expand the list of episodes. The Search text dims (barely readable). Typing in search box now results in completely unreadable text. Scrolling does not dismiss the keyboard.

3) Scrolling tv season view - the thin white space between seasons turns dark once it hits the header area. Just scroll over the space and scroll back up. You will notice a visible change.

4) Another light theme issue. The hamburger buttons are barely visible when editing a list of custom buttons.

iPad testing will be forthcoming in another post.
1) Confirmed
2) Confirmed
3) Can you share a video, I am not seeing what you describe
4) Confirmed and already implemented this locally
Buschel,

Here’s an example. It’s fairly subtle. I knew something g was going on because when I was playing with the search bar I kept noticing some visual change when I pressed cancel. Finally it dawned on me what was happening.

In the video I slowly scroll passed the divider and then scroll back up to make it visible. Then I do another one. Finally I scroll back to the search bar and press cancel to clear the visual change.

Edit: iPad testing

Looks fine. All previous issues appear to fixed on my end.

The darkening season border issue I noted above is also present on iPad.

I did notice a couple of additional issues. One is a little nasty visually.

1) Start a tv show. Make sure you have tapped “Now Playing” and don’t have any floating panes present. Now long press the playlist entry and tap TV show details. The Now Playing progress bar, episode name and studio all overlap the show details.

2) While in TV show details the vertical scroll bar has poor visibility in light theme. This is an iPhone issue as well.
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0