• 81(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
I just looked a little deeper into color blind support in iOS and it turns out that while iOS doesn’t implement color blind colors, there’s an alternative. Color filters can be set in the system settings. So those users have a way to solve the problem individually. Given this I wouldn’t go too deep in changing colors.

Most users are familiar with the green/red paradigm and they look good.

I admit I wasn’t closely watching what buttons you were pressing in subs vs audio tracks. Since they were in German I didn’t follow at a glance. Maybe green works fine when switching. Red for when no subtitles are found? Whatever you come up with it’s going to be an improvement over the current implementation. 🙂
In the video red messages were used when
a) no subtitles available
b) no audiostream selection available
c) user selected to disable subtitles (here we could show a green message as the action was executed successfully)
For what it’s worth, when you use custom buttons to disable subtitles the message is green.
Smile Thanks for sharing, then maybe I should just make the message green for the remote as well.
Hi Buschel,

Idk why I was thinking that flip animation was new. Not enough sleep apparently!

Anyway, I’m noticing something weird with one of my TV shows. Kodi server information display hud shows this show as 7.1 channel but on the now playing screen on the app information screen it says 2.0? Codec is Dolby-HD. Given the cumulative nature of Dolby tech this variant is Atmos, which includes base Dolby and True HD.

Any idea how we can determine why sever and the app would have a discrepancy?
I just downloaded a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 test file (www.demolandia.net) and the App shows the following, which looks good for me. This was tested with Kodi 19.5 and 20.0. How did you manage to let the number of channels show up?

It’s in the spot that aspect ratio is in on your screenshot. Also I was mistaken, it’s not Atmos it’s just TrueHD but shouldn’t matter.

Also one thing that could be related is it’s mapping the aspect ratio to audio channels. In this case the content aspect ratio is an unusual 2.00:1. So I bet the app is getting confused about this and setting audio channels to the aspect ratio.

I’m guessing there is no 2.00:1 aspect ratio graphic and it’s falling back to using the channels graphic. Apparently more TV shows recently are using this. Maybe you can download a trailer some place and test against it. In this case it’s House of the Dragon.

While I don’t know the actual implementation of the aspect ratio display, I had expected that the numbers shown are not coming from some fixed, predefined graphic, but are simply calculated and shown, so that any aspect ratio can be displayed correctly. @Buschel, is it really implemented differently?
Nice one. In fact, the channels and aspect ratios are just images named by the number, e.g. "1.85", "2.20", "2" or "8". If the aspect ratio "2.00" is sent, the image "2" (= the stereo channel image) is loaded. The image names need prefixes to resolve this, e.g. "aspect_1.85" or "channels_2".
No offense to anyone, but this is really a nice real world example of bad software design leading to unwanted and unexpected side effects.
Looks like this was taken over from Estuary skin, which does it the same way. It also seems that images for aspect ratios "2.00", "1.19" and "1.00" were added in the past 1.5 years. I can add those as well.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion Buschel!

Out of curiosity, you have a confirmed Atmos file but still the app says TrueHD, is it not possible to display Atmos in the app? I know Dolby did funky things that make it harder to detect their advanced codecs. While rarer, there’s a DTS equivalent called DTS:X. Is that implemented in the app?
The App is not detecting anything, it just displays what Kodi tells, in this case literally "truehd".
As always you guys challenge me Smile

I now changed the implementation to only use background images for aspect ratio and channel number. The numbers themselves are text. This allows to for example write aspect ratios like "2.34" (rightmost screenshot). In addition, I am also changing the fontsize for better readability of bitrate / sampling rate / bits per sample. Can overall still improved a bit, but I am quite happy with it.

Screenshots: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-02z9fr9.png
Sounds like UlfSchmidt will be happy with that implementation. 🙂

It was the better route though. You’ll always be chasing your tail with new aspect ratios being introduced all the time.

Looks good!
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0