Solved Has anyone successfully built Kodi using -flto
Is it possible to build Kodi using the -flto switch?  When I tried doing so, my build ended in multiple errors.

Just a sampling:
Code:
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans103.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function lpc_apply_welch_window_sse2: error: undefined reference to 'pd_1'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans103.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function lpc_apply_welch_window_sse2: error: undefined reference to 'pd_2'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans103.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function lpc_compute_autocorr_sse2: error: undefined reference to 'pd_1'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans103.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function lpc_compute_autocorr_sse2: error: undefined reference to 'pd_1'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_ar_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bF8'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_ar_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bFC'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_ar_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bF8'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bF8'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bFC'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_X_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bF8'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_2_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bFC'
/tmp/kodi-x11.6b8G37.ltrans120.ltrans.o:<artificial>:function yuv2rgb565_1_mmx: error: undefined reference to 'bFC'

Complete build log: https://gist.github.com/graysky2/951bb36...c75ba99dd3
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I've been building v19 with lto for months.
These errors seems to come from linking to ffmpeg libs.
However my buildsystem and tuning is quite different (tuned for ryzen).
I build ffmpeg separately without lto because I've stumbled into issues with ltoed ffmpeg before.

Where does -fno-plt comes from? I'm not familiar with what this flag actually may do.

As a wild guess try building with ld.bfd as opposed to gold.
-DENABLE_LDGOLD=OFF
AFAIK gold is (almost) dead and not being actively developed.

You also have a lot of nasm warnings (nasm 2.15.x) which can be fixed with a patch from upstream ffmpeg.
@asavah - Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, the -fno-plt flag is an Arch Linux default:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -O2 -pipe -fno-plt"

I tried removing it and using this as the CFLAGS but it ended in the same errors (undefined reference to xxx).
Code:
-march=haswell -mtune=haswell -O2 -pipe -flto

Next I tried adding the alternative linker you mentioned but that too ended in errors.

Can you provide a link to the upstream patch to which you referred to silence or fix underlying problem with the nasm 2.15.x warns?
See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8771 , the last post has link to the relevant commits, you need all 3 of them, all apply fine to kodi ffmpeg fork.
But I don't think these patches will fix your linking issue.
Try (no idea how and where) preventing injection of -flto into ffmpeg cflags.

I'll try building both ffmpeg and kodi with lto and see if I can reproduce this.

Update: nope, could not reproduce.
Thanks for the link to the patches.

To simplify things, I just tried building ffmpeg alone since it is a smaller project/faster to build.
I used these:
Code:

unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS
  export CFLAGS=" -march=haswell -mtune=haswell -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fdiagnostics-color -flto"
  export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

I was able to successfully build ffmpeg.  I wonder if something in the kodi cmake stuff some how causes differences when building kodi vs just building ffmpeg alone?

Here is the build log building ffmpeg: https://gist.github.com/graysky2/ee4452c...804774fa55
But did kodi build succeed with "standalone" ffmpeg build?
kodi has native support for building with lto for a while now.

option(USE_LTO "Enable link time optimization. Specify an int for number of parallel jobs" OFF)
@asavah - I did not try building kodi without ffmpeg.  I just built ffmpeg (totally separate package).

@wsnipex - I added -DENABLE_USE_LTO=ON to my cmake stanza but found this in the output:
Code:
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

ENABLE_USE_LTO

As well, the build failed at the linking step as before.  Here is the build log if there is something diagnostic in there: https://gist.github.com/graysky2/a484fb9...7f2945e939

EDIT: did you intend me to build with the cmake option enabled but without the hardcoded make flag?
@graysky it's -DUSE_LTO=ON or even better -DUSE_LTO=$AMOUNT_OF_CPU_CORES, my bad I assumed you were using it already so I didn't check cmake output for it.
Thanks for the tip.  Removing -flto from my CFLAGS and adding -DUSE_LTO=8 to my cmake stanza worked.  I understand there are some secondary benefits of minor speed increases so this is nice.  I did notice a 9% size reduction (overall package).
Code:
# pacman -U kodi-haswell-19.0b2.56932.962f842855-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) kodi-haswell-19.0b2.56932.962f842855-1

Total Installed Size:  82.12 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -8.24 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
size should decrease even more if you use internal ffmpeg.
(2021-01-15, 08:55)wsnipex Wrote: size should decrease even more if you use internal ffmpeg.

I am using internal ffmpeg.  Here is my cmake stanza:
Code:
  _args=(
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib
    -DUSE_LTO=8
    -DENABLE_EVENTCLIENTS=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FFMPEG=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FMT=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_CROSSGUID=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FSTRCMP=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FLATBUFFERS=ON
    -DENABLE_INTERNAL_SPDLOG=ON
    -DENABLE_MYSQLCLIENT=ON
    -Dlibdvdcss_URL="/libdvdcss-1.4.2-Leia-Beta-5.tar.gz"
    -Dlibdvdnav_URL="/libdvdnav-6.0.0-Leia-Alpha-3.tar.gz"
    -Dlibdvdread_URL="/libdvdread-6.0.0-Leia-Alpha-3.tar.gz"
    -DFFMPEG_URL="/ffmpeg-4.3.1-Matrix-Beta1.tar.gz"
    -DFMT_URL="/fmt-6.1.2.tar.gz"
    -DCROSSGUID_URL="/crossguid-8f399e8bd4.tar.gz"
    -DFSTRCMP_URL="/fstrcmp-0.7.D001.tar.gz"
    -DFLATBUFFERS_URL="/flatbuffers-1.11.0.tar.gz"
    -DSPDLOG_URL="/spdlog-1.5.0.tar.gz"
    -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=x11
    -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl
  )

cmake "${_args[@]}" ../xbmc
ok, for reference: this is the binary from our ubuntu PPA:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55M Mai 12  2013 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin
My build of kodi (lto, ld.bfd), external ffmpeg (static libs, no lto), multi-windowing (xorg + wayland + gbm).

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 45M Jan 13 21:04 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin
(2021-01-15, 15:04)wsnipex Wrote: ok, for reference: this is the binary from our ubuntu PPA:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55M Mai 12  2013 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin

I do not have a kodi.bin but I do have:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 45M Jan 14 13:03 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-x11

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has anyone successfully built Kodi using -flto0