ODROID N2+
I'm looking at an ODROID N2+ for my new media center. Reading online I've found some things about CoreElec on the ODRIOD boards but I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference or advantage of having CoreElec vs having a standard Ubuntu/Linux distro with Kodi installed on the ODROID. I'm aware a Linux distro might have some overhead that Kodi doesn't need, but I'm thinking of using the N2+ not as "just" a media center, but maybe have some other stuff on it as well (Home Assistant, an internet PVR that shall not be named, ...). Will not using CoreElec have a negative effect on Kodi. What I mean is: is it possible that some features will not be available when using an other distro than CoreElec (thinking video transcoding, 4K, ...)?

I'm relatively new to the media center scene but I know my way around linux quite well. I'm looking for some explanation on what the differences might by between the two options, and why you might choose one over the other.

Thanks in advance!
Jelle
Generic Linux distro core support for optimum h/w decoding and playback that Kodi can use is limited on most arm solutions. 

You can install PVR on CE.  I have NextPVR running with Matrix on my N2 and it work and of course TVHeadend works too.

Martin
(2021-01-14, 16:35)Jelle_S Wrote: I'm looking at an ODROID N2+ for my new media center. Reading online I've found some things about CoreElec on the ODRIOD boards but I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference or advantage of having CoreElec vs having a standard Ubuntu/Linux distro with Kodi installed on the ODROID. I'm aware a Linux distro might have some overhead that Kodi doesn't need, but I'm thinking of using the N2+ not as "just" a media center, but maybe have some other stuff on it as well (Home Assistant, an internet PVR that shall not be named, ...). Will not using CoreElec have a negative effect on Kodi. What I mean is: is it possible that some features will not be available when using an other distro than CoreElec (thinking video transcoding, 4K, ...)?

I'm relatively new to the media center scene but I know my way around linux quite well. I'm looking for some explanation on what the differences might by between the two options, and why you might choose one over the other.

Thanks in advance!
Jelle

If you install Ubuntu on eMMC and CoreElec on an uSD/USB device you can have best of both "worlds".
What is uSD/USB?

Can't seem to find anything when I google it...
uSD = Micro SD card (u is used as an easy to type replacement for μ - the Greek letter 'Mu' - which is the regular abbreviation for micro in things like μV Micro Volts, μF Micro Farads etc.)
USB = USB

The N2+ can boot from on-board eMMC, its Micro SD card slot, or external USB storage devices AIUI.  The poster is suggesting you can dual-boot with Ubuntu installed on the eMMC and CoreElec on either a Micro SD card or a USB storage device (like a USB flash drive or SSD)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+0