Kodi 19 epg dead slow
One thing I'm seeing when navigating the guide on a recent nightly of 19.3 is that going up a row or down a row of the guide looks as if it moves half way to the next row and then the rest of the way. I don't know if this is some sort of animation artifact, but it definitely makes navigating the guide slower. This is on a FireTV Stick 4K. Is there a way to make it just move the full row each time, and not do any sort of animation or whatever it's trying to do?
Some of this behaviour is backend dependent so it should be posted in the relevant sub-forum  with debug logs and also using Estuary.  As an example the non-default setting for pvr.nextpvr is to grab show art from the backend on each loaded episode which can cause some delays.  My experience is it does move one row at a time.

Reducing the number of days of EPG guide data you download might also help.

Martin
(2022-01-02, 21:57)emveepee Wrote: Some of this behaviour is backend dependent so it should be posted in the relevant sub-forum  with debug logs and also using Estuary.  As an example the non-default setting for pvr.nextpvr is to grab show art from the backend on each loaded episode which can cause some delays.  My experience is it does move one row at a time.

Reducing the number of days of EPG guide data you download might also help.

Martin

It's only when you move up while at the top item, or down while you're at the bottom item. I checked that particular setting in NextPVR and it was set to the default, so that's not it, but I know you were giving an example. I'll test if it's NextPVR. And that reminds me -- I need to donate to NextPVR again.
I did some testing with NextPVR disabled, testing instead with PVR IPTV and Lunatixz Pluto TV addon for the guide, and still saw this, so it seems to be something more general in Kodi's guide interface.
(2022-01-04, 16:11)mmortal03 Wrote: I did some testing with NextPVR disabled, testing instead with PVR IPTV and Lunatixz Pluto TV addon for the guide, and still saw this, so it seems to be something more general in Kodi's guide interface.

Does using just NextPVR change things?  If so, possible consider using NextPVR to source IPTV and Pluto TV.  Letting the NextPVR backend control obtaining the EPG from the source not Kodi would reduce the memory requirements of those addons and the FireTV 4k isn't that fast anyway.  Plus you get the benefits of a full backend.

Martin
I think the problems could be related to fetching and caching thumbnails for the tv shows on demand while scrolling through the epg. These thumbnails usually are provided via http and getting and storing them could take some time, depending on the response time of the involved servers.
(2022-01-04, 17:39)ksooo Wrote: I think the problems could be related to fetching and caching thumbnails for the tv shows on demand while scrolling through the epg. These thumbnails usually are provided via http and getting and storing them could take some time, depending on the response time of the involved servers.

I agree I don't see it as a core issue and that is why I gave the example of using the NextPVR default which is to use the locally cached channel icon instead of http.  For the other two if they are pulling from the XMLTV icon source there could certainly be a lag and that is why I directed him to the backend support.

Martin
(2022-01-04, 17:22)emveepee Wrote: Does using just NextPVR change things?  If so, possible consider using NextPVR to source IPTV and Pluto TV.

Nope, it's the same (that's actually how I started out). I think there may be different issues being discussed in this thread, so I'll try not to hijack this thread with my own issue unless the underlying issue seems to be the same. I wanted to compare to 19.2, so I went back to an older Fire TV Stick that still had 19.2 installed. Navigating the guide there actually seemed slightly smoother but I could still see the same sort of animated movement going up or down to an offscreen row, so that's definitely not new to 19.3, but it just seems a tad more jerky on my Fire TV Stick 4K for whatever reason. Disabling Estuary slide animations has no effect on this, but it's got to be something like that. Anyway, likely not the same issue as the OP, and only a minor thing. It's like in Android where you can shorten or disable UI animations -- that's what I need for the guide in this instance, lol.
Hello:

I initially had an issue with the EPG being slow when I moved from Kodi 18 to 19 - around the time of 19.1.

It was so bad, I reverted back to Kodi 18.9 shortly afterwards.

Well - I've just tried it again - and the problem is still present in Kodi 19.4. I've also tried it in Kodi 20.0 Alpha 2 - same issue there.

I've grabbed a debug log - too long to upload into paste.kodi.tv, so posted here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_hkKpvQ...sp=sharing

...and screen-captured what I'm seeing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_hQZNQQ...sp=sharing

Here's a summary:

- On opening Kodi, once it has connected to the PVR backend, scrolling through the EPG is fast - even though the CPU usage is quite high, presumably due to Kodi pulling in all the data from the backend. The screen capture shows the effect of pressing and holding the arrow keys whilst in the EPG;
- Once the import from the backend has completed (I presume - certainly the backend CPU usage drops), scrolling in the EPG becomes much more sluggish: scrolling within items already displayed appears to be fast, but whenever data that was previously off the screen has to be pulled in, it becomes so much slower...

Side note: I'm also seeing that Kodi's 'idle' CPU usage whilst sitting in the EPG is about twice that of sitting in the home screen - though I haven't tried waiting a looong time to see if some EPG update process needs to complete first.

My system is running Kodi 19.4 on macOS 10.3.6; I'm using MythTV (on the same system) as my PVR backend.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information to help debug this - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 epg dead slow0