Going crazy over faulty tv/eyes regarding rgb vs ycbcr
So ive been at this for several months where ill go back and forth between different color space. And i cant seem to make my mind up where it should be.
Ive seen this : Video_levels_and_color_space (wiki)
Atm im running radeon settings at yCbCr4:4:4, tv cant be changed between Normal/low so it stuck on Normal, and kodi at full. This seems to be getting me the best picture for now. But reading that wiki this means i should get:
"Full, Limited, Full -- Video Level WRONG : Washed Out Colors"
But colors are not washed out to my eyes and black levels are as i think they should be. But this is where i'm probably wrong.

However if i run the suggested: " Full,Full,Full -- Both Desktop & Video Content will look correct " the blacks seems washed out like crazy. same as the : " Limited, Full, Limited -- Best option for embedded video player "

So somewhere im doing something wrong and my eyes are mabye not working correctly.

Using a samsung ue49mu6195(seems to be a nordic only tv). when i run Full RGB from the radeon settings i can change a option form normal/low on the tv.

How should i have it really? i cant fix this myself i need help.
(2021-01-17, 21:53)GreeM Wrote: So ive been at this for several months where ill go back and forth between different color space.
I feel your pain. With Kodi on Windows, with Intel on-board GPU, I always ran Kodi on "Limited" and my Samsung TV on "Low" (same for Kodi/LibreELEC on the same hardware). This has always given good results. Recently, I tried Kodi on "Full" and the TV on "Normal". Again, the "blacker-than-black" and "whiter-than-white" were adjustable and looked good.

However, when I ran a "grayscale ramp" calibration file after adjusting the BTB and WTW setpoints the gradient looked best with the Kodi on "Full" and the TV on "Normal" settings.

You can get calibration files here Calibration Files . The only ones I use are the Black Clipping, Grayscale Ramp and White Clipping files.

Try various settings on your hardware and run the calibration files to see which looks best to you. With the files you at least have an objective standard to judge with.

For me, the smoothest possible grayscale gradient with correct BTB and WTW setpoints gives the best results
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2021-01-17, 23:05)whysoserious Wrote:
(2021-01-17, 21:53)GreeM Wrote: So ive been at this for several months where ill go back and forth between different color space.
I feel your pain. With Kodi on Windows, with Intel on-board GPU, I always ran Kodi on "Limited" and my Samsung TV on "Low" (same for Kodi/LibreELEC on the same hardware). This has always given good results. Recently, I tried Kodi on "Full" and the TV on "Normal". Again, the "blacker-than-black" and "whiter-than-white" were adjustable and looked good.

However, when I ran a "grayscale ramp" calibration file after adjusting the BTB and WTW setpoints the gradient looked best with the Kodi on "Full" and the TV on "Normal" settings.

You can get calibration files here Calibration Files . The only ones I use are the Black Clipping, Grayscale Ramp and White Clipping files.

Try various settings on your hardware and run the calibration files to see which looks best to you. With the files you at least have an objective standard to judge with.

For me, the smoothest possible grayscale gradient with correct BTB and WTW setpoints gives the best results
Thanks for that im on it right away. Been using the "lagom lcd test" site but what that says and what i see is so different. So it might just be my tv is low tier crap so im trying to get good picture when it cant. Though it is an VA panel and im used to ips panels, and i think the blacks are washed out or waaaaay to dark there is no middleground.

Coming up for a new TV this year so im gonna buy the most popular one so people can just say "do this" Big Grin
(2021-01-17, 21:53)GreeM Wrote: Using a samsung ue49mu6195

Looks like your TV is a 4k UHD HDR type? HDR stuff is completely outside my experience, I don't know if normal SDR calibration tools will give good results.

This might be useful HDR10 Test files
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2021-01-17, 23:44)whysoserious Wrote:
(2021-01-17, 21:53)GreeM Wrote: Using a samsung ue49mu6195

Looks like your TV is a 4k UHD HDR type? HDR stuff is completely outside my experience, I don't know if normal SDR calibration tools will give good results.

This might be useful HDR10 Test files
As its a low end model im not using the hdr part, its an easy on/off switch in windows/kodi 19. Mainly i just want to get my normal blurays to work without hdr before i deep into that hole.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going crazy over faulty tv/eyes regarding rgb vs ycbcr0