• 54(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
DV is still kinda awful even with the APK support. It works well for local files but anything else like streaming, it struggles. For example, The Book of Boba Fett plays the largest files with no stutter, but cannot get past the first minute in DV. Hopefully, this will be fixed in the future.
(2021-12-29, 20:00)otarie Wrote: here you go: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre...b5d545548a

Thanks. In your earlier post you mentioned that Fire TV needs either the standard Matrix version or the Master version. Which one do you think is best for Fire TV 4k?
I use the Maven build on a 4K Firestick Max - the Matrix-FireTV from 16 December and DoVi works fine. This one https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7n9tnp70jtjwe...UTjHa?dl=0 . I've also installed the Kodinerds Android Installer add on. 

I'm not sure why @otarie is recommending the standard Matrix or Master version rather than the Matrix-FireTv or Master-FireTV for a FireTV device.
(2021-12-30, 00:47)pxr5164 Wrote: I use the Maven build on a 4K Firestick Max - the Matrix-FireTV from 16 December and DoVi works fine. This one https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7n9tnp70jtjwe...UTjHa?dl=0 . I've also installed the Kodinerds Android Installer add on. 

I'm not sure why @otarie is recommending the standard Matrix or Master version rather than the Matrix-FireTv or Master-FireTV for a FireTV device.
THank you!

I ran some tests here in my devices. Here are my findings:

FireTV 4k - kodinerds-20211229-2037e462-master-ATV-113-armeabi-v7a.apk:
  • .mkv DV runs really fine. I get the media flag on my TV 
  • .mp4 DV - it dropped a lot of frames, not sure if it was the content but I tested with 2 different movies.
  • Here is the debug info: http://paste.kodi.tv/qugovoxoto

Shield TV Pro 2019 - kodinerds-20211229-2037e462-master-ATV-140-arm64-v8a.apk
  • DV content, regardless of whether it is .mkv or .mp4: they display funny collors (purple and green). I would like say that the test was done on a non DV TV. I wanna make sure this solution is backwards compatilble: meaning, the same content I can run on a non Dolby Vision supported system as well.
  • Here is the debug: http://paste.kodi.tv/renirobuke

Thanks
(2021-12-30, 00:47)pxr5164 Wrote: I use the Maven build on a 4K Firestick Max - the Matrix-FireTV from 16 December and DoVi works fine. This one https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7n9tnp70jtjwe...UTjHa?dl=0 . I've also installed the Kodinerds Android Installer add on. 

I didn't recommend any version. If you follow the link, you'll find maven's android builds. You can choose the version you need from their page. If you have a fireTV you should choose the release accordingly. I thought it explains itself.
Hey guys

I'm having trouble playing Dolby Vision files on my Sony X900F TV. I've tried using several versions of Kodi, including the front page and other Maven versions. But I always have the same result: The DV logo appears in the corner of the screen, the video is played, I get Dolby Atmos in my sound bar, but the colors are totally wrong. It's not the same when I play MP Classic on my computer, which doesn't have anything to play DV installed and everything turns purple and green. On TV's Kodi it doesn't look too bad, but all the colors look weird, faded and shifted. There's also a red haze in the black bars of the movie.

Can you tell me if any version of Kodi would solve this problem? Or my TV is not able to do this?

I'm running the files through a USB HD and 3 MKV files that I tested, they are displayed with this information in the media info:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

If I can't play DV files on my TV, is it possible to fix it with a Firestick TV 4K? Or would it be necessary to purchase a Shield Pro?

Sorry if I asked any dumb question. But it's all a little new for me and I'm trying to learn :)

Thanks.
(2021-12-31, 07:27)jjtec Wrote: Hey guys

I'm having trouble playing Dolby Vision files on my Sony X900F TV. I've tried using several versions of Kodi, including the front page and other Maven versions. But I always have the same result: The DV logo appears in the corner of the screen, the video is played, I get Dolby Atmos in my sound bar, but the colors are totally wrong. It's not the same when I play MP Classic on my computer, which doesn't have anything to play DV installed and everything turns purple and green. On TV's Kodi it doesn't look too bad, but all the colors look weird, faded and shifted. There's also a red haze in the black bars of the movie.

Can you tell me if any version of Kodi would solve this problem? Or my TV is not able to do this?

I'm running the files through a USB HD and 3 MKV files that I tested, they are displayed with this information in the media info:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

If I can't play DV files on my TV, is it possible to fix it with a Firestick TV 4K? Or would it be necessary to purchase a Shield Pro?

Sorry if I asked any dumb question. But it's all a little new for me and I'm trying to learn Smile

Thanks.
I have an LG C1 that supports DV but Kodi can not be installed on an LG (WebOS). Strangely the LG's built in media player can't play DV either and gives the green/pink problem. So I resorted to using a Firestick 4K Max. I used the Matrix-FireTV build from Kodinerds on page one of this thread and it works fine.  As you get the DV logo when you play back through Kodi on your TV, I'm assuming your Sony must support DV content.

The Kodinerds builds in the thread I linked to are tuned to a Shield and Fire TV, so I guess your only option is to go with one of those. There is a nice Kodi addon for the Kodinerds build here which you can then chose which build you want to install. A Firestick 4K Max can be picked up pretty cheaply from Amazon and are often on offer.

[mod edit] we don't allow links to builds or non-vetted software, I'm sure a Google search will disclose.
(2021-12-30, 14:32)gilsonsjc Wrote: Shield TV Pro 2019 - kodinerds-20211229-2037e462-master-ATV-140-arm64-v8a.apk
  • DV content, regardless of whether it is .mkv or .mp4: they display funny collors (purple and green). I would like say that the test was done on a non DV TV. I wanna make sure this solution is backwards compatilble: meaning, the same content I can run on a non Dolby Vision supported system as well.

The build does not provide backwards compatibility (other than simply decoding the file) if your TV doesn't support it.
Kodi behaves as expected:
Quote:CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open Dolby Vision playback support: Display: false, MediaCodec: true

There's nothing to do until either image processing is implemented to process the image and make it into HDR10.
Though I'm unsure if it would ever be supported on Android.
Thanks for this and DV files finally playing via Kodi (Sideload) via my LG DV TV and my Shied TV Pro. 

Very quick question to the fantastic developers of this app.... I can see that link on the 1st page is for Kodi 19.0 and just want to check when this patch version available in Kodi 19.3.

Big thanks again....
For the record I use the lastest Master v7a on my FireStick 4K and FireStick Max, these seem to work fine and I update maybe once every 2 weeks.

When I first started looking for DV support and started using Maverns builds back in early Nov, the specific ‘FireTV’ builds did NOT include the DV support.
I don’t know if this has changed since then ?

But the standard Master and Matrix v7a versions have always worked perfect (for DV) on my FireSticks.
(2021-12-31, 22:03)quietvoid Wrote:
(2021-12-30, 14:32)gilsonsjc Wrote: Shield TV Pro 2019 - kodinerds-20211229-2037e462-master-ATV-140-arm64-v8a.apk

The build does not provide backwards compatibility (other than simply decoding the file) if your TV doesn't support it.
Kodi behaves as expected:
Quote:CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open Dolby Vision playback support: Display: false, MediaCodec: true

There's nothing to do until either image processing is implemented to process the image and make it into HDR10.
Though I'm unsure if it would ever be supported on Android.
I suspected that was true since I did the same testing with the Shield TV PRO on a DV supported TV and it worked just fine. That is a pity since it would force me to have both version (DV and HDR) of the files to be able to play them on my devices.

How about the .mp4 DV dropping frames issue? I noticed that also happens with Shield TV PRO http://paste.kodi.tv/hezozavodi
(2022-01-01, 17:35)gilsonsjc Wrote: I suspected that was true since I did the same testing with the Shield TV PRO on a DV supported TV and it worked just fine. That is a pity since it would force me to have both version (DV and HDR) of the files to be able to play them on my devices.

How about the .mp4 DV dropping frames issue? I noticed that also happens with Shield TV PRO http://paste.kodi.tv/hezozavodi

I have no idea. I suggest playing the file locally instead of streaming.
(2022-01-01, 15:11)Slickric21 Wrote: For the record I use the lastest Master v7a on my FireStick 4K and FireStick Max, these seem to work fine and I update maybe once every 2 weeks.

When I first started looking for DV support and started using Maverns builds back in early Nov, the specific ‘FireTV’ builds did NOT include the DV support.
I don’t know if this has changed since then ?

But the standard Master and Matrix v7a versions have always worked perfect (for DV) on my FireSticks.

Just to update this, I’ve just tested the FireStick version of Maverns lastest DV Master build and it does indeed now work for DV mkvs.

However I’m going to keep using the Standard version as I’ve noticed that files with TrueHD audio are sending 2.0 channel DD+ to my AVR with the FireTV version.
Standard version sends 5.1 channel DD+ to my AVR.

Can’t noticed any other differences between the 2 builds for a FireStick
@fandangos @quietvoid  reading thru this thread, am I right to assume the official version still doesnt support DV because of the reasons mentioned in your first post and that if you need DV then download the version in your github repo? If so, is there any update from Kodi Devs on what the current state and whether FFMpeg supports DV now? Thanks in advance!
(2022-01-02, 22:57)rathin1980 Wrote: If so, is there any update from Kodi Devs on what the current state and whether FFMpeg supports DV now? Thanks in advance!

The required patches are not merged in FFmpeg upstream yet.
There might be hope for them to be in the next FFmpeg release (5.0).
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0