• 2(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
Anyone tried the "nokia streaming box 8000"?. In spite of the silly name (and not really being made by nokia), it seems like a decent device: SD905X3, Android TV 10 & DV support, all at 100€ flat. Not sure about lossless audio though...
I just tested with the 22/01/2020 build on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro and Dolby Vision is working great on MKV files. No micro stutters after configuring to change refresh rate.

Dolby Vision content in MOV files (from an iPhone 12 Pro) does not play with Dolby Vision enabled. Will MOV support be coming in a future update?
(2021-01-24, 08:36)goldenegg Wrote: I just tested with the 22/01/2020 build on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro and Dolby Vision is working great on MKV files. No micro stutters after configuring to change refresh rate.

Which content did you play?

[email protected] and [email protected] -> no micro stutter problems reported until now
[email protected] (Gemini Man) -> micro stutter problems reported by two users
[email protected] (no DV) -> micro stutter problems reported by two other users

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
This is what I did:

NVIDIA Shield TV settings

Settings > Device preferences > Display and Sound > Advanced display settings > Match content color space - make sure this is on > Custom display mode > click Set to default (3840x2160 59.940 Hz YUV 420 10-bit Rec. 2020 HDR10 Ready)

Back > Back > AI upscaling > click AI Enhanced > click Medium (default)

In order for HDR10 to be available you'll need to turn on Input Signal Plus for the HDMI in the settings for the TV (Settings > General > External Device Manager > Input Signal Plus > click HDMI port that your Shield TV is using)

Kodi 18.9 Leia settings

Settings > Player > Videos > under Playback click Adjust display refresh rate > click On start/stop > right below that make sure Sync playback to display is not selected > scroll down - under Processing, make sure Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec and MediaCodec (Surface) are both selected

Back > Back > you should be on Settings main page > System > Display > Whitelist > click all 3840x2160p (4K) resolutions

Back > Resolution > click 3840x2160p (this will set the Kodi GUI to 4K) > Refresh rate > set to 59.94 > Delay after change of refresh rate > set to 3.0 seconds

Restart Kodi
(2021-01-24, 10:17)theghostnl Wrote: This is what I did:

Settings > Device preferences > Display and Sound > Advanced display settings > Match content color space - make sure this is on > Custom display mode > click Set to default (3840x2160 59.940 Hz YUV 420 10-bit Rec. 2020 HDR10 Ready)

In order for HDR10 to be available you'll need to turn on Input Signal Plus for the HDMI in the settings for the TV (Settings > General > External Device Manager > Input Signal Plus > click HDMI port that your Shield TV is using)

• So you do not activate Dolby Vision on your Shield. Is Dolby Vision triggered on your tv with these settings?
• Which content did you play (look at my last post)?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2021-01-24, 10:34)hoppel118 Wrote:

• So you do not activate Dolby Vision on your Shield. Is Dolby Vision triggered on your tv with these settings?

Regards Hoppel
I was just about to say the same if you do not enable Dolby vision + HDR10 in the shield setting then you have no hope of any DV playback with these builds
note that on the original shield 2015, there is no DV setting, just HDR10
Hi @sk83 just to verify, this link here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3002849 is the 64bit version of Kodi 18.9 with DV?
So i tried a few movies yesterday and it seems to work very fine.
I have a 2019 pro Shield TV, a Sony a9 oled tv and a Philips Hue Sync Box between 5he Shield and the TV.
My movies are stored on a homeserver and the Shield is connected via ethernet cable.

I had no microstutter or any kind of crash / black screen.

The only issue is that some movies did not launch a5 first play (kodi goes back to the movie list) and i had to hit multiple times the play button to get them started.
However, once started, there was no issue.

Very good job.
(2021-01-24, 10:34)hoppel118 Wrote:

Regards Hoppel

I find that DV is triggered on my 2019 shield pro regardless if DV is activated in settings. When it’s not activated, the only movie that won’t trigger DV is Gemini Man, DV has to be activated for it to trigger. I’m using an 18.9 build from @sk83 by the way
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2021-01-23, 19:56)MrMagic Wrote: I have it and I tried to play it today. I don't see any micro stutters.

I checked that my TV (Philips 48OLED935) was showing a DV signal at 60 Hz. Kodi showed the movie as 59.94 Hz.

I also tried three different motion settings on my TV (Off, True Cinema and Movie) and none of them showed micro stutter. However because the movie is 60 Hz, those options probably don't do anything anyway.

This was my first task, when I recognized the micro stutter. Tried different tv picture settings. With TrueMotion „off“, it should work out of the box. But it didn’t change anything.

Today I had the idea to check the movie with Emby for AndroidTV. Smile With Emby it works as expected. So, my hardware setup is fine. It must have to do with Kodi (or Kodi settings). I will generate a debug log. Maybe we find something.

(2021-01-24, 16:22)blackreign66 Wrote: I find that DV is triggered on my 2019 shield pro regardless if DV is activated in settings. When it’s not activated, the only movie that won’t trigger DV is Gemini Man, DV has to be activated for it to trigger. I’m using an 18.9 build from @sk83 by the way

Interesting finding, will check that.

Regards Hoppel

Took my time this weekend to work on having libbluray working on Android.
Spoiler, it's almost impossible without a proper java libjvm.so library to use. If someone has one working on Android (the one from Termux doesn't work) let me know and we can all enjoy full blurays and uhd blurays on Android devices.

Now, back to Dolby Vision.
The only change I made that could cause the micro stuttering that some are noticing is the waitforframe value.
The default value is 50. I have changed it to 250 so it improves playback from slow sources like google drive. 

Reverted to 100 and here's a test build. 
Tested with Gemini Man from google drive, so it's the worst case scenario, I can only see stuttering during one of the film making company's logo, the one with lava or a red sun. 
Nothing during the video.

If you still experience it try changing the number of frames to 2. 

And I just watched a full 2 hour 1080p movie streaming from google drive at 23.976. Nothing.
So even if there's a pattern like: I use this receiver, with this TV, my neighbor has the same receiver and same tv with the shield. It's not something worth pursuing. 

Please, test, and I hope it fix the problem for you:
https://mega.nz/file/yZ0DwKoB#_K0XcI6iTj...q42pjX9S-k
64 bits version for now to know if this is what caused the problem for some. 

And finally, @quietvoid you have a deeper understanding of how Dolby Vision works than me, what do you think about m2ts support?
Do you think it's possible?
(2021-01-24, 16:21)Tartifless Wrote: The only issue is that some movies did not launch a5 first play (kodi goes back to the movie list) and i had to hit multiple times the play button to get them started.

Very good job.

not sure that this has anything to do with DV. Or shield.I mean, I'm using RC1 on a SONY TV and this happens even with files that don't have any HDR format. Trying to replicate that with debugging is.......well, maybe one day if I leave debug on all the time.
(2021-01-24, 21:01)fandangos Wrote: And finally, @quietvoid you have a deeper understanding of how Dolby Vision works than me, what do you think about m2ts support?
Do you think it's possible?

It's possible if there's a way to get a frame from two different streams before sending the data to the decoder. I wouldn't know where to start.
You'd have to sync decoding from the 2 HEVC tracks, and insert the DoVi NALUs from the 2nd track into the buffer sent to the decoder.
Then it would be similar to decoding a single interleaved (BL + EL/RPU) stream like in MKV.

About stuttering, I've noticed some microstutter with Dolby Vision only, not HDR10.
Though I compared with ExoPlayer and that looks fine.

I have noticed before that Dolby Vision has awful slow panning shots, and that was before Kodi.
Maybe it's just because the builds are debug and not optimized? I don't know.

I'm gonna try reverting the changes and build for release, to see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Well I can't reproduce anymore, so I'm blaming the decoder.
(2021-01-24, 21:07)kinggo Wrote:
(2021-01-24, 16:21)Tartifless Wrote: The only issue is that some movies did not launch a5 first play (kodi goes back to the movie list) and i had to hit multiple times the play button to get them started.

Very good job.

not sure that this has anything to do with DV. Or shield.I mean, I'm using RC1 on a SONY TV and this happens even with files that don't have any HDR format. Trying to replicate that with debugging is.......well, maybe one day if I leave debug on all the time.
It has, it is even stated in the original post as 9ne of the issues.
With normal RC Kodi release no issue at all, but no DV.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0