Linux Missing Puzzle Piece for 10-bit HEVC support on Linux with Nvidia?
I'm new to this, but I know people have been trying for a long time to play 10-bit HEVC video on Linux with Nvidia.

I have Kodi 18.9 installed on Ubuntu 20.04 with a GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER.

From what I know, Nvidia has finally implemented 10-bit HEVC support in vdpau as evidenced by vdpauinfo on my setup:

HEVC_MAIN                      153 262144  8192  8192
HEVC_MAIN_10                   153 262144  8192  8192
HEVC_MAIN_STILL                --- not supported ---
HEVC_MAIN_12                   153 262144  8192  8192
HEVC_MAIN_444                  153 262144  8192  8192

vainfo does not show any support for 10-bit HEVC or HVEC at all, but that's not surprising since my motherboard dates to 2009.

I know that vdpau 1.4 now supports 10-bit HEVC (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/vdpau/lib...leases/1.4) and even ffmpeg supports hardware accelerated 10-bit HEVC playback (https://developer.nvidia.com/FFmpeg

I'm still seeing ff-hevc (SW) on playback.  I would expect to see ff-hevc-vdpau (HW) if it was working, correct?

So what is that last piece of the puzzle for me to enable hardware accelerated playback of 10-bit HEVC on Kodi?

I'm going out of my mind trying to find a solution for this.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Beny
No 10 bit GLX Interop -> won't work with kodi. In normal words: you can decode it, but not zero copy render it with the GLX implementation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you @fritsch.  This is the kind of information I'm asking about.

So in the context of Ubuntu, what package/software needs to implement 10 bit GLX Interop.  OpenGL, correct?

And if this support would hypothetically become reality, would 10-bit HEVC HW playback just start working with Kodi 18.9?  Or will Kodi then *also* need to be updated to support it?
It needs kodi changes if an alternative to vdpau + GLX is implemented, e.g. nvdec or cuda what's ever.
If vdpau is kept as is, nvidia driver needs internal support to do the GLX transfer of 10 bit textures while doing 10 decoding and dithering them down into the 8bit GLX buffers.

We currently don't have a dev that invests into nvidia.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Missing Puzzle Piece for 10-bit HEVC support on Linux with Nvidia?0