Adding an FTP network location segfaults XBMC
I've been already using XBMC for quite some time now in the Xbox. As a friend of mine also wants to run XBMC but doesn't own an Xbox, I installed it on my Ubuntu machine here to test whether different platforms work well too. I mainly wanted to test whether adding network locations works ok, but within 5 minutes I stumbled onto a segfault-bug. I tried to connect to a password-protected FTP-network server but it crashed XBMC right after pressing "OK" in the "Add network location"-dialog. It is reproducable everytime so I guess FTP network support is completely broken.....

ps. I also noticed that the stuttering of scrollers (like the RSS feed) seen on Xbox also exists on Linux :-(
i just tried my own ftp server - no issues. you need to provide more details
spiff Wrote:i just tried my own ftp server - no issues. you need to provide more details

I am not that familiar with XBMC on Linux yet (although do note I have been a Linux administrator/user for many years now). How can I ie. enable debug logging on Linux and where is the log stored, so I can provide some more info?
Reproducing the issue for me is as simple as this:
- Ubuntu 8.04.1 x86 (Hardy)
- I start XBMC
- In "Video" or "file manager" I say "Add source";
- Select "browse";
- Select "add network connection";
- Select Protocol "FTP";
- Server: myhost.org (it fails with any name);
- Shared folder: <empty>;
- Username: "x-arnova"
- Select "OK"
And voila I get:
(2 ~)% xbmc ret:139 sigConfusedegv (arnova@galactica)
StdString: Assertion Failed on line 916
StdString: Assertion Failed on line 917
[1] 6323 segmentation fault (core dumped) xbmc

(2 ~)% ret:139 sigConfusedegv (arnova@galactica)

Another odd thing I noticed is that when adding *any* new source (even local drives) succesfully, the next time you start XBMC, he seem to have forgot them again. Or am I missing something here (ie. is the behaviour of the Linux version somehow different from the Xbox version?).
Please see if you can get a backtrace and so on - see the sticky thread on how to do this.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Here is the backtrace of the crash:
http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/xbmc-gdb-18aug2008.txt

Note, that I just installed XBMC on my computer here at work too, and again I can reproduce the problem. Reproducing is really simple (for me). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have a completely "virgin" version of XMBC on my Ubuntu?
Other folks have been having issues since libcurl was not installed.

Can you make sure libcurl is installed?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Yep, libcurl is installed:

(1 ~)% dpkg -l |grep curl (arnova@galactica)
ii curl 7.18.0-1ubuntu2 Get a file from an HTTP, HTTPS or FTP server
ii libcurl3 7.18.0-1ubuntu2 Multi-protocol file transfer library (OpenSS
ii libcurl3-gnutls 7.18.0-1ubuntu2 Multi-protocol file transfer library (GnuTLS
Hmmm, I just checked my xbmc log file and I am seeing this:

19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(/usr/lib/libcurl.so)
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 DEBUG: Loading: /usr/lib/libcurl.so
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 ERROR: Unable to load /usr/lib/libcurl.so, reason: /usr/lib/libcurl.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(0xbfdca794) ftp://x%2duser:password@myhost/
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(/usr/lib/libcurl.so)
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 DEBUG: Loading: /usr/lib/libcurl.so
19:04:29 T:3072247616 M: 16199680 ERROR: Unable to load /usr/lib/libcurl.so, reason: /usr/lib/libcurl.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

I did a magic "ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 /usr/lib/libcurl.so" and this fixed the problem! But I guess the xbmc-package should take care of this, right? Note that I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1
I would think it should take care of it as well. We'll have to talk to the PPA maintainer.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

tslayer Wrote:I would think it should take care of it as well. We'll have to talk to the PPA maintainer.
It happened to me with update 8.10final1svn17663-hardy1, I had to make a link to libcurl.so.3 to make xbmc work.
piero Wrote:It happened to me with update 8.10final1svn17663-hardy1, I had to make a link to libcurl.so.3 to make xbmc work.

I had the same problem with 8.10final1svn17663-intrepid1.

Cheers
David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding an FTP network location segfaults XBMC0