Event log wiki page could use some improvement
The event log wiki page seems to list features, but doesn't really do a great job at explaining where one would use or need those features.

A very basic feature newbies (like me) would try to find, "how does one enable (some type of) logging" seems to be somewhat unclear. Ready-built distributions like osmc by default don't seem to have logging on, so users who don't need it don't fill up their rather limited disk space.

The difference between the Debug log and Event log is somewhat unclear, even after reading the general logging page. (Yes, I can guess, text files vs. nice icons etc. but it really should be spelled out clearly somewhere, again for eternal newbies like me)

Section 4.1 has the phrase "as shown in the image", but it seems that the image is missing?
@ExTechOp

I am all for improving the wiki, but I think all the comments you raised are already answered.

(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: The difference between the Debug log and Event log is somewhat unclear, even after reading the general logging page.
From "Event Log"
Quote:The Event Log is a feature introduced with the release of v17. It is a user accessible and easy to understand log of Kodi events which will display information such as failed video library scraping, Add-on updates and PVR activities, to name a few.

From "Debug Log"
Quote:The Debug Log is Kodi's most basic diagnostic tool that assists in fault finding and troubleshooting. Kodi records a process and error log at all times, but this may not be sufficent and more detail is required. The Debug Log records additional data that may assist in resolving issues experienced by the user. The Easy and Advanced methods are the two options to create the Debug Log. The method you choose will depend on your requirements.

(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: Section 4.1 has the phrase "as shown in the image", but it seems that the image is missing?
The image directly above that paragraph?

(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: A very basic feature newbies (like me) would try to find, "how does one enable (some type of) logging" seems to be somewhat unclear.
Debug Log ?

Which is why I need you to be more specific and point me to the exact words that need changing, because as far as I can see everything you asked for is answered or explained. So if it needs to be made clearer or simpler, I need you to be more specific.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-01-31, 21:57)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: The difference between the Debug log and Event log is somewhat unclear, even after reading the general logging page.
From "Event Log"
Quote:The Event Log is a feature introduced with the release of v17. It is a user accessible and easy to understand log of Kodi events which will display information such as failed video library scraping, Add-on updates and PVR activities, to name a few.
From "Debug Log"
Quote:The Debug Log is Kodi's most basic diagnostic tool that assists in fault finding and troubleshooting. Kodi records a process and error log at all times, but this may not be sufficent and more detail is required. The Debug Log records additional data that may assist in resolving issues experienced by the user. The Easy and Advanced methods are the two options to create the Debug Log. The method you choose will depend on your requirements.
It would be nice to have a bit about this difference in the general logging page I mentioned above. See below.
(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: Section 4.1 has the phrase "as shown in the image", but it seems that the image is missing?
The image directly above that paragraph?
Strange. For me, the image appears as part of section 3 Settings, which made me think the text was referring to another (missing) image. With an around 600-pixel wide window width it could totally be out of view. Maybe phrase it "as shown in the above image of the Event log"?
(2021-01-31, 19:19)ExTechOp Wrote: A very basic feature newbies (like me) would try to find, "how does one enable (some type of) logging" seems to be somewhat unclear.
Debug Log ?
Which is why I need you to be more specific and point me to the exact words that need changing, because as far as I can see everything you asked for is answered or explained. So if it needs to be made clearer or simpler, I need you to be more specific.
Above, I was trying to explain how someone completely unfamiliar with the subject might not find the current setup terribly informative. The general logging page should perhaps try to briefly summarize the information about the usage of logs that now is split between the two subpages. Maybe something like, the event log is typically for self-testing of different Kodi features in an user-friendly fashion, and the debug log is for more advanced troubleshooting when things are going wrong, if I've understood correctly.
The pages will be updated for v19, so I'll see what I can do.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Event log wiki page could use some improvement0