XBMC Hardware: Intel G45 Asus setup recommendation help
proctor Wrote:Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" is preferred, XBMC will lag like hell with NoAccel

Not sure if the bug is with the intel driver or ubuntu.

On my system right now, I am running xbmc standalone with no desktop and it works without using any of the above workarounds.

Hi Proctor i'm still having a lot of problems getting it working
what I have done is:
installed ubuntu 8.10 beta server
tried to do install from apt-get (not working)
so did make install for xbmc (worked)
when I do xinit and then xbmc (with computerscreen connected) it's working
but when I do it with only my plasma screen on it it fails
tried many diferent setting in xorg.conf but can't get it to work
can you show me your xorg.conf so I can compare it?
because I really have no clue anymore

If there someone else with the DG45ID board who got it working please let me know your settings

Thanks in advance!
Star 
With the current daily build of ibex (18th oct) the video do not work with resolutions above 1024X768.

I am using motherboard DG45ID connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia KDL-40D3000.

Tried to added Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" to xorg.conf device section.
Still no resolution above 1024X768.

However if i use Ubuntu 8.10 beta release the video works fine but then there is no network connection.
mvdaat Wrote:Hi Proctor i'm still having a lot of problems getting it working
what I have done is:
installed ubuntu 8.10 beta server
tried to do install from apt-get (not working)
so did make install for xbmc (worked)
when I do xinit and then xbmc (with computerscreen connected) it's working
but when I do it with only my plasma screen on it it fails
tried many diferent setting in xorg.conf but can't get it to work
can you show me your xorg.conf so I can compare it?
because I really have no clue anymore

If there someone else with the DG45ID board who got it working please let me know your settings

Thanks in advance!

There really isnt anything special in my xorg.conf for the display. xorg picks up my TV automatically. I'm away from my xbmc for a couple days, but will post the file for you when i get access.
The log generated by Xorg often can tell you much about what's going on with display setup - including if you've got bad EDID data as my display does.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Indeed my plasma tv was giving me wrong edid information (1920x520) and not 1920x1080
managed to fix it by ading modeline and disabling edid in xorg.conf

Does one of you have the LCD screen of the antec enclosure working btw?
Quote:Does one of you have the LCD screen of the antec enclosure working btw?
Is your remote working?
I have the same hardware. For remote to work i think you need lirc 0.8.4 installed, i don't know how. If you do, please share.
For LCD to work, you need LCDproc v0.5.2 with this patch.
Quote:http://codeka.com/blogs/imon/lcdproc-0.5...-0.3.patch
Again , i don't know how to do it Sad
If someone managed to get this things working, please share !
I've been away for a few weeks, but heres my xorg.conf, for those that wanted to see it.

Code:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "intel"
        Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
mdalacu Wrote:Is your remote working?
I have the same hardware. For remote to work i think you need lirc 0.8.4 installed, i don't know how. If you do, please share.
For LCD to work, you need LCDproc v0.5.2 with this patch. Again , i don't know how to do it Sad
If someone managed to get this things working, please share !

There is a great sticky post about getting the LCD and remote working:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40290

I tried it and it's working great only problem I have I don't have all the codes for my antec mini remote
Getting close to a good working system but:

Still have when I play a movie that the screen sometimes shocks a little bit
I was wondering if everybody is having this problem? (cpu usage is only arround 30 percent)
Also under kunbuntu my processor is running at 2Ghz speed I know how to change it to 3Ghz only my question is should I do that

Also I have 4 Ghz memory in my system but XBMC is saying I only have 3 Ghz of memory

Does it matter a lot in performance if I run xbmc with or without a desktop installed?

Hope you guys can help me!
mvdaat Wrote:Getting close to a good working system but:

Still have when I play a movie that the screen sometimes shocks a little bit
I was wondering if everybody is having this problem? (cpu usage is only arround 30 percent)
Also under kunbuntu my processor is running at 2Ghz speed I know how to change it to 3Ghz only my question is should I do that

Also I have 4 Ghz memory in my system but XBMC is saying I only have 3 Ghz of memory

Does it matter a lot in performance if I run xbmc with or without a desktop installed?

Hope you guys can help me!

Leave the CPU, it's autoscaling from 2GHz to 3GHz when more power is needed. Thats actually good cuz it keeps it cooler.

My screen have some tearing at the bottom, but it doesn't happen too often here and I can live with it. My system is pretty much out-of-box Ubuntu Intrepid.

Your 3GB memory is because you are using Ubuntu 32bit. To fix it you need to install another kernel that support 4GB ram in 32bit OS. I think it was PAE patched one, should be in the repositories. I DO NOT recommend you 64bit Ubuntu - I did that, but XBMC 64bit is somewhat unstable.

With or without desktop, with 4GB ram and 3GHz doesn't matter much. I would add gnome just for the sake for easy of use when you need to install, upgrade, configure stuff.
desertoak Wrote:OK. Thank you guys. I think i finally made up my mind. Smile

- Mainboard: Intel DG45ID
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3GHz
- Memory: Corsair DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL5 4GB
- Eclosure: Antec Fusion Black 430
- HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 32MB 750GB
- Keyboard:Ione Scorpius p20
- Blu-ray/HD DVD drive: None. Although i found this: Play HD DVD and Blu-Ray films under Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Comments:
I choose a Intel G45 mainboard because i think they would be most likely to support hardware acceleration in the future an i like their support of open source drivers.
After reading althekillerConfused post i also think a Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3GHz will do just fine.
4GB of memory may be overkill but it won't hurt (thinking about the future). Memory is anyway cheap nowadays.
I also think Antec Fusion Black 430 is an affordable alternative.
I think i just wait with this raid controller and buy one if i need one. With no raid i will have my photos remote-backuped to another computer in my LAN. HDD performance when torrenting/watching movies maybe suffering but i will test it first to see if it is really a problem.
Blu-ray/HD DVD drive: I think i'll wait to buy it. Although it seems to be possible playing blueray/hd-dvd, xbmc have no support for it.
I will install Ubuntu from a left over dvd drive i have at home.

Any commets? suggestions?

Hi there desertoak,

Did you successfully get your XBMC setup with this hardware? I'm thinking of getting something similar, especially as I also want to go with the Intel graphics card. Any gotchas I should be aware of?
Thumbs Down 
fiveisalive Wrote:Hi there desertoak,

Did you successfully get your XBMC setup with this hardware? I'm thinking of getting something similar, especially as I also want to go with the Intel graphics card. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Dont buy it. Still not working in ubuntu 9.04. No sound via spdif and graphics not working.

Update:
Sound + graphics working on ubuntu 9.10 alpha 4 Smile Waitning for final release.
Take a look at this HOWTO from the ubuntu forums ... That if you've not already seen it.

JAUNTY INTEL GFX HOWTO
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

warning - long post ! requires at least 2 cups of coffee.
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
desertoak Wrote:Dont buy it. Still not working in ubuntu 9.04. No sound via spdif and graphics not working.

That's not good to hear. Any idea which component is causing the problem(s)? Is it the motherboard or video card? Is the Antec Fusion case at least working out?
I have the DG45FC and it works splendid, http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Mo...erview.htm

It however have the squeking capacitors and 65nm isn't working for me but it's nothing wrong with HDMI + audio and such for me. it all runs beutiful besides these issues.

S3 isn't working but I suspect it's due to my PSU and not the motherboard but I wouldn't rule it out but until confirmed I consider it PSU problems.

All in all, the card is good but takes some linux know-how to get it working (need to compile new ALSA but karmic should work out of the box). Personally I would be more inclined recomend to buy a zotac ion board (which I have ordered now), or any other ION system, but you won't have the same sw encoding umph in that board and have to rely on hw encoding.

Hope it helps you.
Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Hardware: Intel G45 Asus setup recommendation help0