Change in albums releasedates
I have noticed that Kodi 19 "Matrix" have some changes how it handles releasedates for albums.
In the previous MyMusic72.db database we had a column called iyear which worked with how I tagged my music with the releaseyear.
Now in MyMusic82.db iyear is replaced with two columns strReleaseDate and strOrigReleaseDate.
Where is these releaseyears coming from?
My tag which is only called Year in Mp3tag v2.97 was written to the column iYear before.
I would like to tag the music myself with releaseyear because I have noticed that some albums get the wrong releaseyear now.
Is this not possible anymore?
Kodi will accept release and original release date and stores it in ISO date format, but if your tags only provide a year it will still accept that. 

scott s.
Yes at users request in v19 the processing of tag dates was improved.

The library scanning now reads and stores:
  • the full or partial dates in ISO8601 format e.g. YYYY, YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD rather than trucate to just year only
  • reads release date from YEAR/DATE tag (called TYER & TDAT v2.3, TDRC in v2.4)
  • reads the original date from ORIGINALDATE/ORIGINALYEAR tag value (called TDOR in v2.4 , TORY in v2.3 see https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Tags_Kodi_reads for tag name in other tag formats)

Now Kodi stores more than just year, sorting "by year" can also include month and day values for those prolific artists that release multiple albums in a year.

There is a new music library setting the allows the user to choose to use the original release date at all times rather than album release date. When enabled, all dates used for sorting and display will only use the original release year.

In short @Depeche72 what was previously read  from YEAR tag into iYear column will now be read in full and stored in strReleaseDate, and you should not see any change in dates if all that was tagged was YYYY values. But if you can provide examples of anything that does not seem to follow what I describe then I will look into it.
Thanks for the info about releasedate.
I have found some albums that differed in the album year.
One album had song 1 with year 1981 and the other songs 1993.
In the old database that album got 1993 as the albumyear and in the new database that album got 1981 as release year.
Found some other albums that actually had the wrong year in the old database and the correct year in the new.
They were tagged with the correct year.
Also found albums that was mistakes from my side.
2 albums with the same tagname but one was a remaster with 2005 as year so in the new database only the remaster was scanned.
In the old database both album's songs were scanned as the same album with 1999 as year.
I'm still not sure about the difference in total number of artists (14 missing in the new database) and total number of songs (44 songs missing in the new database.)
I will now delete the new database and do a full rescan again and see if there are any differences.
OK your album experiences all make sense: the order things are scanned, and hence data added to the database, can produce different results when you have mixed song dates or albums with same tags
So I think I'm ok with the small differences that I still have with the new database.
The only thing that bothers me now is these releasedates with month and day.
What tagging software is the best to use?
I'm using Mp3Tag 2.97 now and I can't see these dates that now are written to the MyMusic82.db
It seems that my year tag in Mp3Tag is not used at all.
I guess these dates are embedded in the mp3 and flac files but I can't see them in Mp3Tag.
Do I have to use MusicBrainz Picard?
I don't like that software at all. I guess I can use it just to edit these dates.
I use both Mp3tag and Picard Smile
Quote:I guess these dates are embedded in the mp3 and flac files but I can't see them in Mp3Tag.
I don't have any problem seeing YEAR (Mp3Tag desciptive name for tag) of either FLAC and mp3 files in Mp3Tag, and Kodi certainly reads it. I don't have any thing special set in Mp3Tag to be able to do this. Values vary in format depending on what is known:  YYYY, YYYY-MM, or YYYY-MM-DD  are handled, put some other string in there and what happens will vary.

I am bemused that you can't see them. Perhaps provide a test file via link where you can't see the value and I will test it.
Sorry, maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly.
I have a lot of strReleaseDate and strOrigReleaseDate in the MyMusic82.db database with these dates like in the picture below.
But I don't have one single song in MP3Tag with more than just year. I have never tagged a song with more than just year.
I just installed Musicbrainz Picard which I really don't like but I can see the full dates there and there it is just called Date.
ImageFrom my databaseImage
Maybe I should update my version of MP3Tag?
Quote:But I don't have one single song in MP3Tag with more than just year. I have never tagged a song with more than just year.
Let me have an example file (via link I can download) from an album that has strReleaseDate in YYYY-MM-DD format that you think only has YYYY tagged.

I don't think the version of Mp3Tag is the issue.

BTW please stop hitting quote, I don't need to see my whole post repeated just reply.
Sorry I just saw that I used quote.
Yes I can link to a song with full date in the database and in Musicbrainz Picard.
Just a minute.
This song has 2021-12-02 in the database and in MP3Tag I have tagged it with just 2021
I just tried to add a new tag called just Date in MP3Tag and then I got 0212 in that tag.

@Karellen- Link removed
I added DATE as a tag in MP3Tag and deleted that value 0212 and now that song has only 2021 in Musicbrainz Picard.

Edit: I will try this on some albums and then do a rescan on my test machine.
So you are still using ID3 v2.3 format tags on your mp3 files (rather than multi-frame v2.4).
This version of the format has release date information in two parts - TYER and TDAT tags - that Taglib concatenates on reading so that Kodi only sees the combined string. It looks like Picard does the same and labels the resulting tag with description "Date" in their UI. But that Mp3tag shows the separate parts calling TYER "Year" and TDAT "Date" in their UI.

As I have warned before how tools describe the tags in the UI and the actual internal name used by the format can differ. I tend to use the Vorbis comment (as used in FLAC files) name for tags because they are nicely descriptive, which may just ad to that confusion!

This is also a v2.3 format issue, in v2.4 and other tag formats release date is a single tag value.
Ok thanks for info.
So do you recommend me to use 2.4 in the future? Maybe for some other issues apart from this date I may get?
I guess this full date is not a problem for most Kodi users but I have a lot of .asp webpages with connection to the Kodi database and those pages are messed up now with this full date.
I also have to change the database name on all pages.
Anyway thank you again for taking time to help with this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change in albums releasedates0