Solved Media Information from Iso Files
(2021-04-07, 17:20)brazen1 Wrote: I was using v20 since inception but went back to Matrix a couple weeks ago because something screwy happened to Artist Slideshow and Embuary Helper.  Constant pop-up errors regarding those two addons. 
Hi brazen1,
this is off topic but i notice this issues too, together with some other addons like Amazon VOD from Sandmann79. The last working v20 beta version without error messages for me is the build 20210316-43561ce1 on windows x64.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
(2021-04-06, 23:19)black_eagle Wrote: .... Probably best to use portable mode so as not to disturb your current set-up. Details on how to do that if you need them are here.
...i am struggling with Step 7 of the "portable Mode Instruction".
I was able to install on a USB Drive, create shortcut on Desktop and modify properties by adding the "space-p" to the target.
But when i look for the New Kodi Entry in the Star Menue i find nothing. Only the Kodi Entrie to my pre-existing installation.

But i would assume i can still run the portable Test Version from the Desktop-Shortcut, right?
Instead of portable mode, I just make a copy of the entire AppData\Roaming\Kodi folder.  It also makes a great backup for the future and I update this backup from time to time.  This way when you test something, such as this custom build, nothing will get disturbed in your original.  Renaming your original and your test Kodi folders to toggle back and forth takes just seconds too.

@tehax 
I just started a thread here if you want to add to it and be sure to add a ping for the correct dev of your add-on(s) if you know who.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=361955
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-04-07, 19:13)Reelyator Wrote: But i would assume i can still run the portable Test Version from the Desktop-Shortcut, right?

Yes, that's correct.  Use the modified Desktop-shortcut to launch it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
...Nice, i just did a short test with one 3D BD Iso. Video and Audio Media Infos are displayed after Playback:-)

10 Points from me!!
Thanks for the feedback so far!  Just wondering if anyone has spotted any regression or issue while testing this such as wrong number of channels, wrong aspect ratio, missing flag etc?  I don't think that will be the case, but I only have a limited amount of stuff to test with and most of that is DVD related so the feedback regarding the BD stuff is much appreciated.

Thanks once again Smile
As mentioned earlier, one thing is for sure:  If you ignore the blu-ray setup menu for language and/or subtitles preferences, etc., and play the title with audio and/or subs you don't prefer (and perhaps which cut like directors or theatrical)... there's no going back and changing.  Whatever defaulted is what gets flagged.  However, this can be quickly remedied by bringing up the context menu © then Manage, then remove from library.  After that, bring up the side menu and select Update Library so the title can rescan clean of the prior flags.  Once the title is added back to the library, you can play it again entering the correct setup options in the blu-ray menu and they will flag.  You only need to play the title a few seconds for the flags to associate.  I'm also finding not all titles display all flags.  The 5th Wave (2016) 4k HDR for example shows no aspect ratio while other iso titles do - SDR and HDR.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-04-08, 01:46)brazen1 Wrote: However, this can be quickly remedied by bringing up the context menu © then Manage, then remove from library.  After that, bring up the side menu and select Update Library so the title can rescan clean of the prior flags.  Once the title is added back to the library, you can play it again entering the correct setup options in the blu-ray menu and they will flag.

Actually, it's easier than that.  You just need to get up the infodialog and hit refresh to reload the details.  Stream details will disappear. Then just play a bit again.
(2021-04-08, 01:46)brazen1 Wrote: I'm also finding not all titles display all flags. 

OK, that could be quite important.  Can you supply a list of what is missing, which aspect ratios etc?  Also, when playing the ISO, if you press <i> do the flags show there or are they missing from there too?

AR's that Estuary can display are listed at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...spectratio .  If it's an odd AR then the skin might not have a flag for it. If it does, then Kodi might be obtaining the wrong, or no, AR.  If that's the case, if you can supply me with the dimensions of the video (mediainfo should tell you) then I can try to mock something up and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Thanks.
(2021-04-08, 01:07)black_eagle Wrote: .... feedback regarding the BD stuff is much appreciated.....

.... i will try some more BD- and UHD-Iso´s this evening and then come back.
(2021-04-08, 10:56)black_eagle Wrote: AR's that Estuary can display are listed at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...spectratio .  If it's an odd AR then the skin might not have a flag for it. If it does, then Kodi might be obtaining the wrong, or no, AR.  If that's the case, if you can supply me with the dimensions of the video (mediainfo should tell you) then I can try to mock something up and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Thanks.

As long as the AR can be extracted and passed through to https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...#L589-L611 then a flag should always appear, but the displayed AR could be slightly off if there's no exact match found in that code, so if there's no flag then that probably suggests the AR does not get as far as StreamDetails.cpp
@jjd-uk Sure. According to Blu-ray.com, the ISO mentioned should be 2.39:1 so I would have expected Kodi to show 2.40:1  However, the flags in the info overlay do not come from the same set of data that is used to write the stream details to the db.  It's possible that it is present in the first set but not the other.  As I don't have any actual 4K iso's to test with I'm only guessing right now.  I did author an HEVC 4K mkv back to a BD iso (at the same AR) to test here with but I didn't have any missing flags Sad

As number 5 would have said "Need more input" so need to see if anyone else has missing AR values and then look for a common denominator there.
(2021-04-08, 10:56)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-04-08, 01:46)brazen1 Wrote: However, this can be quickly remedied by bringing up the context menu © then Manage, then remove from library.  After that, bring up the side menu and select Update Library so the title can rescan clean of the prior flags.  Once the title is added back to the library, you can play it again entering the correct setup options in the blu-ray menu and they will flag.

Actually, it's easier than that.  You just need to get up the infodialog and hit refresh to reload the details.  Stream details will disappear. Then just play a bit again.
(2021-04-08, 01:46)brazen1 Wrote: I'm also finding not all titles display all flags. 

OK, that could be quite important.  Can you supply a list of what is missing, which aspect ratios etc?  Also, when playing the ISO, if you press <i> do the flags show there or are they missing from there too?

AR's that Estuary can display are listed at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...spectratio .  If it's an odd AR then the skin might not have a flag for it. If it does, then Kodi might be obtaining the wrong, or no, AR.  If that's the case, if you can supply me with the dimensions of the video (mediainfo should tell you) then I can try to mock something up and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Thanks.

Thank you for the easier way to clear the flags.  The info page shows the same flags as the library title in focus and the missing AR flag doesn't appear in either.  I've played several titles.  Every title returns a 1.78:1 AR flag.  This is incorrect.  There is no way Media Info can retrieve the AR from an iso.  It always shows 16:9.  Complete 1:1 iso folder structure is not anywhere near the same as putting an mkv in an iso and calling it an iso.  With no way to find out the correct AR for a title, I google it.

I think the problem is that Kodi is flagging the iso MENU (before the title plays) which I think is always 16:9 (as Media Info reports) and is also 1.78:1 (as Kodi reports).  An iso menu is always fullscreen.  The entire 16:9 screen is filled.  However, the movie itself is not fullscreen.  It has black bars top and bottom.  A different aspect ratio.  Commonly 2.39:1 or 2.40:1.  The menu is flagging instead of the main movie because the menu plays 1st imo. 

I tried to confirm this by changing the Kodi setting Player/Discs/Blu-ray playback mode/ from Show Blu-ray Menu to Play Main Movie.  Although it skips the introduction menu (and settings for the disc) this made no difference and still returns a 1.78:1 AR flag although google tells me the title is 2.39:1.  This leaves my diagnosing at a loss.

Fwiw, my skin has ample AR flags because I see 2.40:1 flags for mkv's.  I tried Estuary anyway but nothing changed.  I have no idea why that one title doesn't scrape any AR flag?  I cleared the nfo thinking that was preventing it but it didn't matter.  I've only done about 30 titles.  There could be more.  I don't understand what dimensions you want me to supply you?  I've been trying 3840x2160 and 1920x1080 iso video.   Fwiw, madVR OSD reports 3840x2160, 16x9 using an external player as an example.

At least the other flags seem to be spot on and that in itself is huge progress imo.  Thank you for pursuing this and trying to help us.

(2021-04-08, 18:41)brazen1 Wrote: I tried to confirm this by changing the Kodi setting Player/Discs/Blu-ray playback mode/ from Show Blu-ray Menu to Play Main Movie.  Although it skips the introduction menu (and settings for the disc) this made no difference and still returns a 1.78:1 AR flag although google tells me the title is 2.39:1.  This leaves my diagnosing at a loss.

My bet would be the black bars are encoded into the video so the videos is seen as having dimensions of 1920x1080 (1.78:1) rather than the dimensions of 1920x800 (2.40:1) of the active video area excluding the black bars. Your mkv's likely report correctly as in the ripping process any black bars are likely removed leaving only the active video area of 1920 x 800. If that's the case I don't think there much Kodi can do about it without user intervention as I don't believe we have any mechnism to detect the presense of black bars if they are encoded into the actual video stream.

When playing a movie use the letter O key (O as in Olive and not a zero)this displays the Player Process dialog and this will give you the reported dimensions and AR.
..i tried out 8 different Iso´s from BD, 3D-BD to UHD with different Audio Formats and i could not detect any incorrect Media Information related to:
- Resolution (1080p, 4k)
- Aspect Ratio or
- Audio Format (DD, DTS including Hi-Res Formats)
- Channels (2.0, 5.1, 7.1)
Thanks.  I'm aware of the 'O' OSD for AV specs.  It too returns 1.78:1 AR for iso's only - not mkv's, avi's, mp4's, etc.  They have correct AV flags.  To be clear, letterboxes are not encoded into the video anymore than they are when ripping mkv's which are derived from the same video (folder structure aka iso).  A main movie mkv rip is identical to an iso main movie.  An iso can be unpacked and the main movie is in the streaming folder.  It just uses an m2ts file extension which is what converts when ripping to mkv.  It's the same video file.  One isn't encoded with black bars and the other isn't.  They are identical.

I have quite a few multi aspect ratio movies.   IMAX for example.  TRON: Legacy (2010).  The Dark Knight (2008).  Interstellar (2014).  Catch Me If You Can (2002).  Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004).  Etc.  No matter which aspect ratio is playing at the time, it reports as 1.78:1 for iso's.  Sort of the same for an mkv.  The Aeronauts (2019).  Reports as 1.85:1.  There is an aspect ratio change at 52:53 but it still reports as 1.85:1.

I should also note that only the language selected during playback gets flagged (as expected).  An mkv flags all the languages available for audios and subtitles.  If a subtitle wasn't used during playback of an iso (because I viewed it alone not wanting subs), none will be flagged although several might exist.  I only bring this up because I rarely use subs.  However, I do have hard of hearing guests all the time that need subs.  When we scan my library for titles with subs, none ever show because that info didn't flag.  It's usually a 'let's try this movie you picked and see if there are subs for you or not'.  It would be wonderful if glancing at the flags we could know that as we flip through titles in the library.  That's just one small example of what flagging iso's means to us that use iso's.  At least when viewing a new iso alone, I can briefly turn on subs, quit the movie, let the sub flag, restart the movie and turn of subs.  Better than nothin'.

This is all getting overly complicated for me as a user.  Personally, when Kodi displays the wrong AR for iso's isn't a deal breaker imo.  I don't use AR too much anyway.  I'm not a PJ user.  What I'm really drawn to is video resolution, type of audio format, audio output, and audio/subtitle languages that weren't flagged before.  I don't know how others feel or if they can provide more ammo to keep pursuing this but I'm good and hope what we have so far gets merged.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Information from Iso Files0