Remember window position and size for Kodi on windows
Have Kodi remember the application windows last position and size in Windows and reopen in that position at that size. 

Use case: Open Kodi, put it in windowed mode.  Size and position to your liking.  Close Kodi.  Reopen Kodi.

Current behavior: Kodi will open at the same size but centered on the desktop regardless of the last position.

Desired behavior: Kodi opens at the same size and in the same position on the desktop where the user last left it.
(2021-03-01, 09:40)repros896 Wrote: Have Kodi remember the application windows last position and size in Windows and reopen in that position at that size. 

Use case: Open Kodi, put it in windowed mode.  Size and position to your liking.  Close Kodi.  Reopen Kodi.

Current behavior: Kodi will open at the same size but centered on the desktop regardless of the last position.

Desired behavior: Kodi opens at the same size and in the same position on the desktop where the user last left it.
Oh pretty please, this has played havoc with my OCD for years. ;-)
Upgrade to 19.4 from 18.1 on Windows 10. 

Kodi v.18.1 remembered my window position.  Kodi v.19.4 doesn't.  Why? Guess I need to downgrade till you get that sorted.
(2022-08-18, 16:49)flskydiver Wrote: Upgrade to 19.4 from 18.1 on Windows 10. 

Kodi v.18.1 remembered my window position.  Kodi v.19.4 doesn't.  Why? Guess I need to downgrade till you get that sorted.

Might be a stupied question, but why would you watch kodi in Window mode , not full screen.
(2022-08-19, 03:05)Sidewinder_2011 Wrote: [W]hy would you watch kodi in Window mode[?]
Because I use Kodi to manage my collection, not to watch it (I use Infuse for that, on my televisions through AppleTV);

And because I'm sitting 2 feet away from a 28" 4K monitor when I work with Kodi (scraping metadata and tagging my collection), and I don't need a fonts that are between 1/2" and 1" tall (1/16" or less works for me).  Kodi is designed to be viewed for "10 feet away" (depending on television / monitor size). It's just far too large sitting this close.  And with it resting comfortably in the corner of my screen, I've got the other 75% available to do all the other file management tasks that go along with moving content to my server.
I do remember some public domain software that re-positioned windows, running Kodi through a batch file would allow entry of the position of the window as last command. You'll have to source out this little pearl (see post #10) or just update to Nexus beta.
(2022-08-24, 14:38)PatK Wrote: I do remember some public domain software that re-positioned windows, running Kodi through a batch file would allow entry of the position of the window as last command. You'll have to source out this little pearl and write up the batch on your own.

Why is it so hard to make Kodi do this on its own?  Most all apps do.  This should be the default behavior of ALL software.
I can use advancedsettings.xml to specify the window size — but not start location? This is absurd.
(2022-08-24, 16:23)flskydiver Wrote: I can use advancedsettings.xml to specify the window size — but not start location? This is absurd.
For all operating systems, hum... absurd is in the eye of the beholder. I am sympathetic to the plight of the op, but it goes well to understand Kodi wasn't designed as just a simple windowed player, but the option exists as a maintenance tool or full screen windowed mode for the ease of some gfx situations. There is a possibility of a work-round using External players (wiki) if you can find a player that will open via co-ordinates and set that up prior to launch. If you choose to advance the software, your submissions will be taken with seriousness, and your contributions will be welcomed by all.
Implemented with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21820

Will be included in Nexus 20.0 Beta 1
Here's a tiny Windows app for that, and works with *all* versions of Kodi:  http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

HTH
(2022-09-10, 17:35)jogal Wrote: Implemented with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21820

Awesome!! Thank you for the head's up!

How cool is this community? I only started asking about a few features I hoped could be added to or improved in Kodi a few weeks ago, and already all three have since been added or improved. Wild.
(2022-09-10, 17:35)jogal Wrote: Implemented with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21820

do you know if a linux version is being worked on? Smile

Praise be to the Kodi wizards!
I haven't looked at the code, but this seems to have caused an issue with remembering the window size/position that is *slightly* larger or slightly off-screen. A reason for needing this is to avoid the longstanding issue where someone wants the Windowed Mode to fit exactly within the desktop space above the taskbar, such that no clicks at the edge of the screen will accidentally click on windows behind it (such as scrollbars, and close buttons in the top right corner!).

To get around this up until now, I'd made my Kodi shortcut start with the window maximized. Unfortunately, this is now causing a further problem, now opening the Kodi window with space to the bottom and to the right. I recall similar issues in the past having to do with Windows and DPI scaling at higher than 100%, but, unfortunately, DPI compatibility options aren't fixing this issue right now, either.

If I set it back to open as a normal window, remembering the size/position *would* work, but only *if* it could remember size and position *slightly* off-screen. Unfortunately, that's not working, either. I can understand not remembering a window position to the extent that you can't find the window title bar to drag (for safety reasons), but this doesn't seem to be allowing the necessary *slightly* larger window to be remembered.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remember window position and size for Kodi on windows0