v19 Bitrate for FLAC on now playing screen (default Skin)
In Matrix the "now playing screen" shows more info than in older releases, and I like it.

For FLAC files there is also a bitrate shown (in "kbps"). I'm not sure, but I think this is a new feature (but maybe it was also somehow in previous releases).
IMHO it makes less sense to show the bitrate for FLAC files (in all cases?).

For my FLAC flies (typically ripped from my CDs, by EAC) I get rates around 800 kbps, depending on the track.
IMHO the bitrate for FLAC files is typically not a quality attribute, like it might be e.g. for MP3.

Wouldn't it be better to ignore the kbps for FLAC?
Other info for quality (bit resolution and sample rate) is fine to see.

Or is there a way to hide the bitrate for FLAC only?
For other, lossy compressed files (e.g. MP3) I'd like to have it.

P.S.: It's for skin Estuary, currently upgraded to v19.
The information has always been available for skins to use, it's just that Estuary previously did not use the infolabel (infolabels are one of the means which Kodi uses to pass info to skins & addons) so it was added by me (I did the complete rework of the Now Playing screen). There is no easy way for us to only display for certain codec types so what you ask is not possible, other than remove it completely.
(2021-03-02, 17:21)jjd-uk Wrote: The information has always been available for skins to use, it's just that Estuary previously did not use the infolabel (infolabels are one of the means which Kodi uses to pass info to skins & addons) so it was added by me (I did the complete rework of the Now Playing screen). There is no easy way for us to only display for certain codec types so what you ask is not possible, other than remove it completely.

Okay, thx!

As I understand it: Skins have no or just little logic. They just display infolabels.
To catch this issue (I know, it is not a real problem) it should be done in Kodi itself.

It looks the bitrate (and others) are new for Kodi v19 (DB MyMusic82): https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17540
A dirty workaround might be to set the bitrate to zero for (my) FLAC files in my DB.
Of course, this is not a nice way and it would be fine to have an option/switch in the Kodi setting (or AdvancedSettings), not to write it to infolabels for FLAC. Or maybe it's better not to store the bitrate for loseless FLAC files.
(2021-03-02, 17:56)NeroRome Wrote: It looks the bitrate (and others) are new for Kodi v19 (DB MyMusic82): https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17540

For media items there are 2 types of Infolabels when it comes to the properties of the media item.

There are those that are generated directly from file during playback

https://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels#Player_labels

Then there are those that come from the database to provide the info in the navigation/browsing views that show the Library/Files

https://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels#ListItem

It is up to the skin dev's which infolabels they want to display.

What is new is the addition of that info such as bitrate to the database so they can be used by new ListItem infolabels and to also to allow filter by those properties in Smartplaylists/Nodes.

The player ones existed already for a long time.
(2021-03-05, 12:16)jjd-uk Wrote: It is up to the skin dev's which infolabels they want to display.

Since the skins don't have real logic (just display an infolabel) the origin might be not so important.
It looks the bitrate comes from the Player_labels. I set it to -1 in the DB (hopefully correct) and I still had it.

Anyway, we could also question the sense and meaning of the bitrate in the database for loseless compressed audio files. For me it also makes nearly no sense, also for filtering.
The bitrate is IMHO just relevant for lossy compressed audio, where it can be used to identify the quality (but also here you have to consider several other parameters and the algorithm itself). And maybe for uncompressed music.

If you try to filter your library for good quality files, e.g. >= 256 kbps, you might e.g. also miss FLAC's where a lower bitrate was required to compress it, even if it has full quality.

I understand the aim of Pull #17540 and I agree the adding of the sample rate and no. of channels but for the bitrate I'm somehow unsure.

At the end: Kodi (with Estuary) shows useless info (for loseless compressed audio). If I understand it right, it cannot be hidden by the skin and I suspect it will not be skipped by the player/core (soon).
The bitrate in the player label is calculated by the player while it is playing a track.  The bitrate displayed when navigating the library is read at scan time.  I suspect absolutely no-one will want to implement any core code to skip either reading or showing bitrate dependant on what sort of file it is.  You could probably hide it on the viz screen with some sort of visibility condition.  I'm less sure if that's possible to do whilst navigating the library without completely deleting the label.

I would have added bit depth at tag scanning time too, but the library that Kodi uses for tag reading doesn't support it for some of the file types that Kodi can read and play and I didn't want to add something that only works for a subset of file types.  Same goes for sample rate and bit rate.  It's implemented for all file types, not just a subset.

Anyway, Kodi supplies the information.  Whether you want to make use of it or not is of course, entirely up to you.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bitrate for FLAC on now playing screen (default Skin)0