v19 Stutter on Kodi 19 and shield
Hey, guys-

I was just about to submit a similar report for Fire TV.  I just need to grab a log file.  I suspect it's an issue w the Android builds since the same Kodi for Windows versions have no issues.  Here's the backdrop:

Problem: Significant video stutter and out-of-sync audio when playing Bluray ISO.  Kodi buffering every 15-30 seconds of playback.  Only happens with some Bluray ISOs (see below).
HW: Amazon Fire TV 4k playing ISOs off Synology NAS (gigE/NFS - no wireless)
SW: Kodi v18 and v19 (same issues for each)
SW Other: I did try the oldest, posted build of Kodi (17.6) from kodi.tv and it still had issue although not quite as severe
Bluray ISOs with issues: Dark City Directors Cut, V for Vendetta
Other: Kodi on Windows v19 plays the same ISOs just fine
(2021-04-06, 16:05)camira Wrote: Hey, guys-

I was just about to submit a similar report for Fire TV.  I just need to grab a log file.  I suspect it's an issue w the Android builds since the same Kodi for Windows versions have no issues.  Here's the backdrop:

Problem: Significant video stutter and out-of-sync audio when playing Bluray ISO.  Kodi buffering every 15-30 seconds of playback.  Only happens with some Bluray ISOs (see below).
HW: Amazon Fire TV 4k playing ISOs off Synology NAS (gigE/NFS - no wireless)
SW: Kodi v18 and v19 (same issues for each)
SW Other: I did try the oldest, posted build of Kodi (17.6) from kodi.tv and it still had issue although not quite as severe
Bluray ISOs with issues: Dark City Directors Cut, V for Vendetta
Other: Kodi on Windows v19 plays the same ISOs just fine

Yes not solved for me either, may have to go back to 18 again this is waay to buggy
I am having the same problem. Is there any way to go back to 18 without loosing the database?

It has been working for years Kofi 19 is a hard no on the shield.
Had this been fixed yet?
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Update, I've tried installing the latest alpha of Kodi 20 Nexus. The stuttering / juttering is virtually non-existent, so the issue is definitely Kodi.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
One other possibility, that came from the LibreELEC forum... Someone there switched his high grade hdmi cable for a cheap one, and jitters were gone. So apparently it is possible that a HDMI cable can case (small) hiccups.
When one version of Kodi has stutters and another doesn't, the issue is not the cable.
(2021-06-14, 23:42)MidnightWatcher Wrote: When one version of Kodi has stutters and another doesn't, the issue is not the cable.

Not exactly accurate.
New versions might send more metadata in frames and exceed the bandwidth cheap cables can deal with - just saying.
(2021-06-14, 17:05)MidnightWatcher Wrote: Update, I've tried installing the latest alpha of Kodi 20 Nexus. The stuttering / juttering is virtually non-existent, so the issue is definitely Kodi.
Well, looks like recent nightlies have reintroduced the stutter / jutter. I'm going back to v18.9. Screw it.
Downloaded and sideloaded the 18.9 APK. Went away for the weekend, came back and it was updated to 19.1 (?). I thought it only updated if installed from the Play Store. At any rate, so far the stutters are gone with 19.1 and I'm hesitant to change any settings, don't want to risk reintroducing the problem.
(2021-06-16, 14:07)a1rwulf Wrote:
(2021-06-14, 23:42)MidnightWatcher Wrote: When one version of Kodi has stutters and another doesn't, the issue is not the cable.

Not exactly accurate.
New versions might send more metadata in frames and exceed the bandwidth cheap cables can deal with - just saying.

I have HDMI 2.1 cables all round and can confirm I have the same problem. I have noticed that I get better results with Kodi "Adjust display refresh rate" set to "On start/stop" rather than "always on". I can also confirm that if I stop the movie and start it again the problem goes away for a longer time. Amazingly I managed to get through the whole extended Avatar (1080P) without a glitch so it may well be related to higher bandwidth rips....but that is only guessing on my part.
Same here on AndroidTV on an Philips 55PUS9104.
It's random and not really reproduceable. I am using zattoo pvr addon a lot. Sometimes it works without any hickups and next time the same channel stutters. During this, internet connection is good, because same channel running without any issues on the second ATV with kodi 18.9.

Also sometimes when OSD of kodi is displayed (it doesn't matter which one) pictures freezes like hell and also audio drops out.
That wasn't the case with 18.9.

Yes, audio of zattoo addon is also mostly AAC.

Because of the other issue I had with my ATVs I have to Downgrade to get my family members happy.

Just want to let you know.

pOpY
Can someone post a kodi Debug Log and a logcat when this issue happens, curious if we'd see something odd in the log.
Some logs in this related thread: here
I am currently on vacation and cannot upgrade my two ATVs anytime soon because my family don't want it.

What I can say that I am 100% sure that OSD plays a role. When it's shown, it doesn't matter which, SOMETIMES there are huge dropouts in video and also audio. But, also when no osd is shown there are frame drops in an interval.

I just can speak for my two ATVs from philips with Android TV 8. Yes I also got an shield 2019 to test, but there it was the same. Also when fast forwarding or rewinding on the shield the picture just freeze. You have to stop and start playing again, to get moving pictures again. This issue was just on the shield with kodi 19. The forwarding issue was not present on the ATVs.

Sorry, but did not got logs because I had another issue with the ATVs and kodi (force close, which is already fixed). So my family members where upset and now vacation.

Hope this issue 's get fixed.

pOpY

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stutter on Kodi 19 and shield0