v19 Stutter on Kodi 19 and shield
same or similar problem here, on start the movie always says, slow bandwith Speed on source, also an ds918 synology NAS, Will try to find the way to go to older version of kodi, no problem with plex on same system

Enviat des del meu SM-M515F usant Tapatalk
Had the exact same Problem. Setup is a 2019 Shield TV and a Synology 1520+ connected by Gigabit LAN.
Never had problems until this summer.
1080p content regularly (every 5-10min) produced buffering pauses and "source too slow" messages.
4K was the same but every paused like every 30 seconds.
I tried to modify the buffer size but it didn't help.

Anyway I returned to Kodi 18.9 and everything is back to normal.
Hi Everybody

i’ve a similar issue since ten days only. I don’t know why but now video stutter  So i tried to change audio setting and i understood that if i use passtrought, player video miss same frames  (from 24,9 to 21 fps, sometimes too bad and go down to ,18, ) but if use PCM video everything is ok. 
My shield is linked on an AVR Yamaha by a 2.1 hdmi cable 
my Kodi ver.  is 19.3 and my source is unraid and gigabit lan 

sincerly i,d like to leave the passtrought but i don’t find other solution for now

ideas.??
Try builds from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=365127
I have the same issue here with Kodi Stuttering on my 2019 shield. The problem i have located is that it can't play Atmos. If i take the same movie with both Atmos and DTS-HD it stutters with Atmos but not DTS-HD
Kodi is version 19.3. And worked fine a week ago.
Netflix in Atmos works fine so its not my setup.
(2022-03-24, 14:07)Wollabille Wrote: Kodi is version 19.3

You need update to v19.4  that precisely fixes no TrueHD audio using RAW device and stuttering.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm64-v8a/

Then read this to configure Shield settings:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=365127
I still have stuttering on my Matrix 19.4 setup on a shield pro 2015. I tried every version of Matrix (foo and maven from kodinerds) but the stuttering was never gone.

So, after almost a year of tryouts I went back to 18.9. And the movies play smooth, without any stuttering.

Thus, how can the developers make such a big step backwards with Matrix 19 player? Why did they not let the player be as in 18.9? Now, I am forced to use Plex. I also tried Kodi 19.4 on a Apple TV HD and guess what? A lot of stuttering! Plex alongside plays the same movies as smooth as it should be.

So, in my opinion the developers of Kodi has killed a good piece of software without need. What a pity!
(2022-08-15, 13:14)loadamasta Wrote: Thus, how can the developers make such a big step backwards with Matrix 19 player? Why did they not let the player be as in 18.9? Now, I am forced to use Plex. I also tried Kodi 19.4 on a Apple TV HD and guess what? A lot of stuttering! Plex alongside plays the same movies as smooth as it should be.

Plex isn't only uPNP solution for Kodi.  I am curious what you don't like about Plex ?  I run Mezzmo, which allows you to use Kodi in its native mode or the Mezzmo GUI simultaneously and has superior library management capabilities.  Interesting that you don't see stuttering with uPNP vs. SMB tends to point to something in the network stack vs. the player.  I've used Mezmo for years on many different versions of Kodi across many different platforms and have never had to deal with the stuttering issues that I've seen some folks experience.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2022-08-15, 13:14)loadamasta Wrote: So, after almost a year of tryouts I went back to 18.9. And the movies play smooth, without any stuttering.

Thus, how can the developers make such a big step backwards with Matrix 19 player? Why did they not let the player be as in 18.9? Now, I am forced to use Plex. I also tried Kodi 19.4 on a Apple TV HD and guess what? A lot of stuttering! Plex alongside plays the same movies as smooth as it should be.

So, in my opinion the developers of Kodi has killed a good piece of software without need. What a pity!

I could ask similar questions. Why didn't you test the nightlies and reported the issue as soon as it came up. Why don't you bisect the issue?

We don't have a device zoo to test every possible hardware and software combination. Our free time we spend on Kodi is limited. We have to rely on user reports for such issues. Even worse, we don't have an active Android maintainer, just 2-3 guys running a shield (with no issues!).

So no, we have not killed Kodi. We have to rely heavily on user input in cases like this. If no one is testing new code, it is very difficult to rectify such situations afterwards. If no dev can reproduce the error and the error description is diffuse, chances are high this won't be solved in the future.

For example, I have no way to reproduce this issue. The devices I develop on consists of an Odroid C2, a low-end s905x box, a Intel PC with a HD 530 GPU, my workstation, a Pi 4 and a Chromecast; all paid out of my own pocket (except the last one). I don't possess hardware for audio formats more advanced than DTS. I'm also not familiar with Android, my area of expertise is limited to Python, the GUI system and GL/GLES video rendering. The last time I've broken something by accident, I've received almost immediate feedback, so I was able to rectify the issue in time. If this would have been unnoticed until release or later, someone else might have to pick this up because I'm not always able to dedicate time. If no one is knowledgeable in this field, this would be bad.

So please, don't just complain. Test regularly and open issues as early as possible. Kodi is a team effort.
I understand everything you say but you forget most of us just want to play movies and make our home cinema look great, we are not coder's just home cinema buffs and Kodi is our favourite software. What is hard to understand is why Devs insist on changing something like works fine ie going from v 18 to 19 when 18 is great. I understand that new formats come and go but just add to existing software don't change everything. I'm not ungrateful for all your work and would willingly pay for Kodi if you would only stop unnecessary updating.
(2022-12-21, 11:50)Bobbybuilder59 Wrote: What is hard to understand is why Devs insist on changing something like works fine ie going from v 18 to 19 when 18 is great.

Just like on any other Android device, you can disable the auto-update functionality. Then you can keep running your beloved v18 version.

(2022-12-21, 11:50)Bobbybuilder59 Wrote: I'm not ungrateful for all your work and would willingly pay for Kodi if you would only stop unnecessary updating.

Well, in that case... Why doesn't TeamKodi just stop right here, and grab our collective pensions from your payments? Big Grin

Sorry, but "unnecessary updating" may apply to you, while other Kodi users may be in dire need of those updates. Kodi runs on so many more devices than just a Nvidia Shield. There are millions of Kodi users worldwide, and here comes someone telling us "We don't need updates anymore".

Sometimes changes made in one area will affect things in other areas. Unintentionally, but it can still happen. And sometimes, there is no other way around it. That is what all programmers deal with all the time, certainly with a piece of software that is supposed to work on so many different platforms and different types of hardware.

Kodi v18 had its flaws, as does v19, as will v20 I'm sure. I could name a few bugs that are present since XBMC Dharma and still are present today. And as with most, of not all pieces of software: it is never bug free. It's what keeps us busy.

Plus, the Nvidia Shield is one of those devices where we as software application makers had/have to deal with divine (=Nvidia's) interventions such as destabilizing OS updates, debatable user experience updates, user right restrictions and more.
I understand the shield is complex but i am still on stable firmware 8.2.3 .
Every kodi 19.x had stutter, no matter what setting or protocol i tried with qnap nas.
This week i decided to try the nexus rc2 , great features (nfs v4, subtitles section ect).
But unfortionally everything i watch had still stuttering, like it just can not deliver a stable 23.976 fps playback.
My personal opinion is that Python 3 and Android is just not a good combination.
I went back to 18.9 (Python 2) and all has smooth and stable playback.
(2022-12-21, 21:25)bacardicola Wrote: I went back to 18.9 (Python 2) and all has smooth and stable playback.

Python 2 itself was EOL'd on January 1, 2020. That's 3 years ago by now.

Also I'm not convinced that Python is the main source for Kodi's stuttering, as ffmpeg is Kodi's video engine, not Python.
If fmpeg is the same then it is a mystery why up to 18.9 with Python 2 all playback has no stutter, and from matrix and now also nexus with Python 3 has stutter.
I pitte i can not use the latest version because it has really nice features.
But i will keep testing , as i did before, all next versions and hoping for that miracle of stable framerate playback.
Hi Klojum,

i dont know  i you read this but i discovered, while testing v20 final, that playback was still stuttering.

Than i decided to turn Bluetooth setting from the shield to “off” and from that moment on playback was so much better.
Now i connect my headphone with the tv itselfs. (Missing HD codec now but i dont hear the difference)
Playback is still ok and i decided to stay with this version.
Therefore i believe you were right and the problem was caused by the Nvidia shield and not kodi itself.

Maybe you can help other people with this .

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stutter on Kodi 19 and shield0