Multiple Artists Tagging by MusicBrainz Picard
There are two ALBUMARTISTS and one ARTIST in this track.  However when I play this track, I only get ARTIST, Johann Strauss, displayed.  I am using Artist Slideshow addon.

If I edit ARTIST to Erich Kunzel / Cincinnati Pops Orchestra / Johann Strauss, then all three are displayed.  How can I display these three without editting?

ALBUM    Ein Straussfest
ALBUMARTIST    Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
ALBUMARTISTS    Erich Kunzel
ALBUMARTISTS    Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
ALBUMARTISTSORT    Kunzel, Erich, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
ARTIST    Johann Strauss
ARTISTS    Johann Strauss
ARTISTSORT    Strauss, Johann
ASIN    B000003CTC
BARCODE    89408009822
CATALOGNUMBER    CD-80098
DISCNUMBER    1
DISCTOTAL    1
LABEL    Telarc Digital
MEDIA    CD
MUSICBRAINZ>LBUMARTISTID    99845d0c-f239-4051-a6b1 -4b5e9f7ede0b
MUSICBRAINZ.ALBUMARTISTID    d8fbd94c-cd06-4e8b-a559-76lad969d07e
MUSICBRAINZJXLBUMID    1851c70d-9a3c-4fed-9ca0-40c3ace1 c837
MUSICBRAINZRTISTID    8255db36-4902-4cf6-8612-0f2b4288bc9a
MUSICSRAINZ.RELEASEGROUPID    25a2bce8-68b6-387d-893f-c76l 7a99132f
MUSICBRAINZ.RELEASETRACKID    2da37050-09ec-450e-9347-ac6ef34b0312
MUSICBRAINZ.TRACKID    38a2f9e1-9db0-454f-8ee6-382lfa1b7950
ORIGINALDATE    1985
ORIGINALYEAR    1985
RELEASECOUNTRY    US
RELEASESTATUS    oHicial
RELEASETYPE    album
SCRIPT    Latn
TITLE    Explosions Polka, op. 43
TOTALDISCS    1
TOTALTRACKS    12
TRACK    1
TRACKTOTAL    12
YEAR     1985
Quote:when I play this track, I only get ARTIST, Johann Strauss, displayed. I am using Artist Slideshow addon.
Are you asking why Artist Slideshow addon is only showing the art for the song artist? I think that is the way the addon is designed, so you would need to raise it with the author on the addon thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=124880

If you are asking about what artist names the skin is showing then that is a skinning thing - both song artist and album artist names are available for the skin to show.

The tagging from Picard is consistent, if you are going to edit it manually then you need to take care to change both artist names and the matching Muiscbrainz ID. How the Musicbrainz community enters data for classical music varies, there is a guide but not everyone follows it. So sometimes you get like the example you list e.g. Conductor and orchestra as ALBUMARTIST and composer as ARTIST rather than all 3 as ARTIST. In that situation I would probably post correcting edits to Musicbrainz itself to match their guide, because I want all artists in ARTIST, or if feeling lazy I would edit the tags and mbids.

Quote:How can I display these three without editting?
That would mean you want Artist Slideshow and skin to combine album artists and artists (if they vary, but not have duplicates), possible but I don't know if they would want to do that.
(2021-03-05, 11:51)DaveBlake Wrote: That would mean you want Artist Slideshow and skin to combine album artists and artists (if they vary, but not have duplicates), possible but I don't know if they would want to do that.

Is there a way to show multiple artists using the tags from MusicBrainz?  I am open to any addons and skins.
I don't think Musicbrainz has anything to do with your question.

Say you tag a music file with artists A and B, and albumartists C and D. This can be done in a variety of ways:

1) For formats that support multiple frames e.g. ID3 v2.4 or Vorbis (Flac files), the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags can have a list of values.
or
2) Use a standard separator, by default " / " space-slash-space, e.g "A / B" will be read as 2 names
or
3) Add ARTISTS or ALBUMARTISTS tags. This is useful if either you want to see "A feat. B" as the song astist rather than "A / B".

If you tag using Picard this will also add matching musicbrainz ID tags, a mbid value for every individual artist or albumartist.

Having tagged your music you have told Kodi what album artists and song artists a track has. AFAIK the Artist Slideshow displays the song artist art, possibly only the art of the first artist when more than one. Skins show album artist and song artist labels and art in various places, none that I know of combines them.

So the simple answer is no.
(2021-03-05, 15:28)DaveBlake Wrote: If you tag using Picard this will also add matching musicbrainz ID tags, a mbid value for every individual artist or albumartist.
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

The tags shown above are obviously provided by MusicBrainz Picard as stated in the thread title.

What I am asking is if there is a way to use those tags as they are to show multiple artists.  If there is no way, what is the point of this https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#albumartists ?
I'm obviously still not understanding you.

With your example, any skin showing the listitem or player albumartist info label or album_artist property will display "Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra". That data is there for the skin to show, whether skins do or not is up to the skin author. An obvious place you will see that is when listing albums, most skins will show the album artist(s).

Also having tagged in the way Picard does you will have "Erich Kunzel" and "Cincinnati Pops Orchestra" as individual artists in your artist list.

That is how those tags are used. And the Musicbrainz id tags help with efficient scraping, and allow you to have multiple releases of the same album.

Quote:However when I play this track, I only get ARTIST, Johann Strauss, displayed
OK, so I'm guessing you mean that you are not seeing the album artist(s) in the OSD or now playing screen. Well that is up to the skin.

I would guess that most are designed around pop music, expecting either a single album artist who is also song artist on every track with the odd track maybe having a guest artist, or a various artist compilation album with different song artists on every track. So they only bother to show song artist(s) and not album artist(s) because album artist(s) are either a duplicate of the song artist or "Various Artists".
I don't use Artist Slideshow, mostly just the full screen player in Party Mode with Estuary. I just tag my albums by who I'd rather look at. So instead of the artist field being

The Chainsmokers feat. Louane

I tag it

Louane\\The Chainsmokers

I don't know of any skins that will show multiple artists or albumartists while playing music. Shouldn't be that difficult, but you'd probably have to put in a feature request.
Still not getting by what is meant by "show artist"?  Is it intended to show a text of the artist name in full screen music (music viz window)?  Or artist thumb and/or fanart?  Or extended artist info text labels?

It is correct that Artist Slideshow provides art and text data for the now playing song artist(s), with the option to fetch just the first artist or all artists (if more than one).  It will use the library to lookup mbid, if artist not in the library will parse the artist string to find multiple artists (assumption is that this song is from a stream source).

scott s.
@DaveBlake @scott967 ,

I am sorry to confuse you.  What I am trying to say is the display of background images of music visualization in full screen mode.  I simply can't get multiple artist images displayed if the tags are created by MusicBrainz Picard without any change.  
I wrote @pkscout about this and he would add this in the feature request list.  See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3020430

Now there is hope to resolve it.  thanks a lot.
So when I asked in #2 if you were asking why Artist Slideshow addon is only showing the art for the song artist, the answer was yes.
Quote:I simply can't get multiple artist images displayed if the tags are created by MusicBrainz Picard without any change
I am going to repeat for other users reading, this has nothing to do with Picard in particular, or whatever tool you might use to tag your music. It is simply that you have tagged the music files with song artist(s) different from album artist(s), and the viz shows fanart for the song artist.
Hi Dave,

I have a couple of somewhat related questions.

Question 1:

I have the collaboration album "Watch the Throne" by Jay-Z and Kanye West (both artists in their own right).
MusicBrainz Picard sets the Album Artist as "Jay-Z and Kanye West" (making it look like a single artist)
How should i tag this so that the album shows up under both artists' discogrphies in my library? 

Question 2:

Let's say I have the song "Yeah" by Usher which features Lil Jon and Ludacris. I'd like Kodi to display this as 
song: "Yeah"
Artist: Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris.

Do I tag it as...

ALBUMARTIST: Usher
ARTIST: Usher; Lil Jon; Ludacris

ARTIST: Lil Jon; Ludacris

ARTIST: Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris

Thanks for your help
@iLurk you do not mention the ALBUMARTISTS and ARTISTS tag value, and these are what allow users to have complex track artists or album artists and Kodi to be able to split them into the individual artists as well. Also I am going to guess that you are not tagging using Picard, and suggest that maybe you think about doing so.

Manually
So first let's assume you are tagging manually (not using Picard, or including mbids)

1) Looking at the first track from "Watch the Throne" tag as follows:
ALBUMARTIST: "Jay-Z & Kanye West" <-- a single string that will show as the album artist(s) in album lists etc.
ALBUMARTISTS: "Jay-Z", " Kanye West" <-- 2 values giving the individual artists
ARTIST: "Jay-Z & Kanye West feat. Frank Ocean & The-Dream" <- single string
ARTISTS: "Jay-Z", "Kanye West", "Frank Ocean", "The-Dream" <-- 4 values

2)
(no need for ALBUMARTISTS tag)
ARTIST: "Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris"
ARTISTS: "Usher", "Lil Jon", "Ludacris" <-- 3 values

Tagging tools vary how they display multiple tag values on their UI, I have used commas here just to list the values (I don't mean use that is the separator). Most tag formats support multi-value tags, but ID3 v2.3 does not, if that is the format of tag you are using (because you want to play mp3 files on some older player, otherwise use v2.4) then you have to use a separator ( " / " by default) to demark how the single string value can be split into multiple names.

Musicbrainz Picard
Or if that makes you head hurt then simply use Picard, which also adds muiscbrainz id values that make scarping additional data more efficient and allows support for more than one release of the same album in your library.

Sadly ALBUMARTISTS is not a default tag in MusicBrainz Picard, you need to change a setting before tagging your music files. See https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#albumartists.
To include this tag when using Picard add a new script under Options > Options > Scripting > Add new script and include the following code:
Code:
$setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%)

Picard displays multiple values as if they are separated by ";" but if you click on the value it shows a list of values, and saves them as multi-frame values when it can. Hence for ID3 v2.3 format tags, which does not support multi-frame (v2.4 does), it uses whatever you have set as the separator ( " / " by default).

1) Looking at the first track from "Watch the Throne" Picard tags as follows:
ALBUMARTIST: "Jay-Z & Kanye West" <-- a single string that will show as the album artist(s) in album lists etc.
ALBUMARTISTS: Jay-Z; Kanye West <-- 2 values giving the individual artists
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTIST_ID: f82bcf78-5b69-4622-a5ef-73800768d9ac; 164f0d73-1234-4e2c-8743-d77bf2191051
<-- 2 values matching the album artists, mbid for Jay-Z first.

ARTIST: Jay-Z & Kanye West feat. Frank Ocean & The-Dream <- single string
ARTISTS: Jay-Z; Kanye West; Frank Ocean; The-Dream <-- 4 values
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTIST_ID: 4 mbid values

2)
ALBUMARTISTS: Usher
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTIST_ID: 66a4b9d2-d5a6-40b8-93d5-0bdd1dbb4b43
ARTIST: "Usher feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris"
ARTISTS: "Usher", "Lil Jon", "Ludacris" <-- 3 values
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTIST_ID: 3 mbid values

I hope that clarifies things.
(2021-03-25, 12:22)DaveBlake Wrote: ...

Awesome thank you!
I actually only started using Picard today so still finding my feet.

I'll put it down to my willful ignorance that I did not realize that there were ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS fields.
But now that I see them and with your explanation, it's all making some sort of sense to me now.

I appreciate your help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Artists Tagging by MusicBrainz Picard0