EPG genre / subgenre
How does PVR WMC get the genre and subgenre values?  Reason I ask is that I am getting iGenreType in my Kodi EPG database of 15, but IIUC Kodi is using some sort of EU genretypes and the valid types are the high order 4 bits of some data byte, so must be powers of 16 (0, 16, 32 etc).  So where does the value of 15 come from?

scott s.
Hi Scott,

Its been a long time since I looked at genres so I will need to look at the code to be remember how it goes.  I know I had to create a mapping from the genres that the wmc epg uses to the ones the kodi genre/subgenre values and it was not an obvious map.  I'll have to get back to you after I do a refresh.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2021-03-07, 18:28)krustyreturns Wrote: Hi Scott,

Its been a long time since I looked at genres so I will need to look at the code to be remember how it goes.  I know I had to create a mapping from the genres that the wmc epg uses to the ones the kodi genre/subgenre values and it was not an obvious map.  I'll have to get back to you after I do a refresh.
Thanks.  I was out of town for a year and just had a laptop with me.  Got home and my HTPC had died.  Put together a new box and installed Win 8.1 / media center pack.  Now I am doing some skinning of the PVR stuff since Server WMC and my clients are all back up and noticed errors in my log where the skin tries to set a color on EPG entries for genre "15".  I looked in the Kodi EPG database and there are a lot of these (I guess originate with Schedules Direct and EPG123 input to WMC).

I don't see any documentation in Kodi on what's "legal" but Estuary skin only provides genre color overlays for certain values of genre (0,16,32, etc and I think all skinners just follow that model).  I did search and find some old kodi/xbmc forum threads that discuss the "theory".

scott s.
That sounds like a long business trip, welcome back.  A quick look at the code and it looks like serverwmc initializes the main genre to 15 (0xf) before it tries to map the wmc epg genre to kodi.  I suppose if there is no genre data at all for an episode from wmc then the 15 might end up surviving?  I need to spend some more time tracing how it works, but yeah - that's what I see so far.  Its not clear to me right now why I initialized it to that value, maybe it will become apparent later. 

btw, I used this for the def of kodi genre/subgenre:

https://github.com/zarboz/XBMC-PVR-mac/b...lation.xml
For PVR Genre mapping and how it works helps is This site helpful.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
(2021-03-08, 19:19)tehax Wrote: For PVR Genre mapping and how it works helps is This site helpful.
Thanks for the link.  That confirms what I got from various threads:  genre type 0x00 is "undefined" with no subtypes, so there shouldn't be genre of 0x01-0x0F as there is no way for Kodi to describe those genres.

scott s.
Yes and for each contentsubmask too (0xF)!
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
I guess its just a mistake on my part since I can't figure out why I initialized to the values I did (some five years ago).  Its a trivial fix though to serverwmc.  If you need the fix to do your development let me know.
(2021-03-09, 18:07)krustyreturns Wrote: I guess its just a mistake on my part since I can't figure out why I initialized to the values I did (some five years ago).  Its a trivial fix though to serverwmc.  If you need the fix to do your development let me know.
Don't need it changed (except as user).  But (not your problem) the valid values and their meaning should probably be documented in the skinning manual since skins can get the genre/subgenre for epg items as infolabels.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EPG genre / subgenre0