Hitting back does not stop playback
Hello everyone,

Have been using Kodi with success and everything is great. But, have one minor nuisance, which is a bit annoying:

While playing a video file, if I hit the BACK button on the remote, it goes back to the menu / file list / where ever, which is fine. But it does not stop the video. I have to stop the video before getting out manually or need to scroll to the side bar and hit stop. Anyway I can have the BACK button stop the play back and go back ?

Thanks.
Forgot to mention critical info : I am using Kodi on a Sony Bravia Android TV, w/ Kodi version 19.
You can try remapping the Back button of your remote. Create a file keymap.xml in the userdata/keymaps folder, and put in the following content:

xml:
<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<remote>
<back>PlayerControl(Stop)</back>
</remote>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

And restart Kodi.
(2021-03-07, 20:01)Klojum Wrote: You can try remapping the Back button of your remote. Create a file keymap.xml in the userdata/keymaps folder, and put in the following content:

xml:
<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<remote>
</remote>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

And restart Kodi.
thanks for the reply, but do I have to pick one or the other or can I do both, i.e. Go Back and stop?
(2021-03-07, 21:40)dcabbar Wrote: thanks for the reply, but do I have to pick one or the other or can I do both, i.e. Go Back and stop?

dunno if it can be both, but use keymap editor and set some button that you don't use in KODI as stop. In my case that is EXIT (no more stop button) all the way down at player controls.
The reason why I recommend this method is because some buttons on SONY remote, at lest on mine RMF-TX600E, can't be used as custom buttons in KODI. Doing it directly in editor you will immediately see if button is responding or not.
Thanks for the info. A bit suprised that current implementation is the default behavior to be honest, but nevertheless thanks for the info.
Stopping the playback will take you back anyway, so in effect it will do both.

But some people use the back button to go and do something else in the menu whilst the media continues to play in the background (and can be listened to). Once they've finished what they were doing in the menu then they can just continue on with watching.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
This has worked for me to obtain in video playback (payback)
stop playback and return to the previous situation (file list with video file name)

I have in the Harmony app
at "Edit activity" --> Customize remote control -->
(redefine buttons) --> defined the stop button (square figure) with: both SHORT (press) and LONG (press) as
Mac computer --> s. (this point does not count, is distinguished by S capital letter)
----------------------------------
Maybe this, what I did beforehand, was also necessary:
within running KODI, choose Add-ons, choose Program Add-ons, choose Keymap Editor --- install add-on
install also a video add-on, e.g. VRT-max
go back to your add-on Keymap Editor and RUN-->
 EDIT ---> FULLSCREEN VIDEO --> PLAYBACK --> there you have the item: Stop --> there I entered s (lowercase) (KODI generated 61523) 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
(2021-03-07, 20:01)Klojum Wrote: You can try remapping the Back button of your remote. Create a file keymap.xml in the userdata/keymaps folder, and put in the following content:

xml:
<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<remote>
</remote>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

And restart Kodi.
This has worked for me to obtain in video playback (payback)
stop playback and return to the previous situation (file list with video file name)

I have in the Harmony app
at "Edit activity" --> Customize remote control -->
(redefine buttons) --> defined the stop button (square figure) with: both SHORT (press) and LONG (press) as
Mac computer --> s. (this point does not count, is distinguished by S capital letter)
----------------------------------
Maybe this, what I did beforehand, was also necessary:
within running KODI, choose Add-ons, choose Program Add-ons, choose Keymap Editor --- install add-on
install also a video add-on, e.g. VRT-max
go back to your add-on Keymap Editor and RUN-->
 EDIT ---> FULLSCREEN VIDEO --> PLAYBACK --> there you have the item: Stop --> there I entered s (lowercase) (KODI generated 61523) 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hitting back does not stop playback0