What is Kodi's Projected path to the future?
@DarrenHill, @PatK 

Thank you for your answers and the added clarity. I've always appreciated to hear about the team, not just Kodi.

I think we're fast approaching the crux of all things, and while I'm not the best one to identify it I'll try to write about it while I don't mean to offend.

I struggle with this reality, with some of the points made above; especially because they are true. Kodi is all free work. More; Kodi is other people time and effort donated for free. And we ripped the benefits of that for what is close to 2 decades now. For free. Probably a faceless team to most, too often pounded with "when is it ready?" the team kept working all these years. One would have to have a pretty poor character to argue against it.

Maybe you sense a "but" coming. It's not that. I just read the playing field.

A new version of Kodi used to arrive about once a year (official, final releases). Leia took 2 years. Matrix took 2 years. With the Python 3 switch flipped somewhere within the cycle of Leia development, the said migration took... 2-3 years? Not that the implementation of Python 3 took that long but to get all the dependencies migrated, it suddenly showcased how vulnerable Kodi was to the will and timetables of a lot of people from all over, who have no responsibility, implied or otherwise, to keep contributing.

The Kodi skins, probably the most visible aspect of Kodi.... I wanted to write a piece in the skin dev section, but I didn't know how to avoid making it adversarial. It mainly asked one simple question: "Why is it OK to wait a year for a skin to be released?" Me a supporter of the Aeon-flavored skins I know too well how it took much longer for certain releases while others are still in the pipeline after many years. Because life gets in the way. What can be done about that (specifically skinning)? Change the framework they are produced within so it's accessible to more people? (I leave it at that as this is not the main point of discussion; besides my next few words would be anathema around here Smile)

I'd say the delays are obvious with various causes (and pandemics definitely don't help). I don't have a problem with that. This is the world of Open source. But think about the position that Kodi as a project is in. If this would be a commercial product, this position would be deemed untenable by its management.

Kodi has become too successful, and too important to too many people to continue to be developed on enthusiasm alone.

This may go counter to everything the team believed in (and may still do) when the project started. But this is not 2003 anymore and everybody who was there are a bit older now and all have their own lives to worry about. Users too (and the users are in far greater numbers now). And if somebody was a broke guy in his early 20's back then, he's probably much closer to "take my money and expedite this" now. As a thought, other (unrelated) projects kept their releases free for individual use and had a different, paid license for business use. I just wish that somehow you guys rip more benefits for your work and in turn, it creates more (tangible) interest to contribute.

How many Kodi users are out there? Half a million? 30 million? Many more after all these years? This far exceeds the mechanics and the sustainability of a passion project. It is probably a testament to the strength of Team Kodi that things are moving ahead even under this completely out of whack balance devs vs users. But is this the best way for the future?
(2021-07-14, 03:35)Daydream Wrote: It mainly asked one simple question: "Why is it OK to wait a year for a skin to be released?"

Or the other way around: "Why shouldn't it be OK for people to wait for me to update my skin in my own free time?"
Although not Kodi related but open source related, to really show how small a team can get but how big the user base can get, I read somewhere once regarding internet security that there was ONE dev doing something with TLS, and that nearly 4.5 billion people are benefiting from this person’s code, and he was doing it for free.

It’s not just a Kodi issue, there are other open source projects out there that have similar small teams but large user bases.

Kdenlive has 6 devs, just for another example. People do it for the love of writing the code and not for fame or money.

If you do feel that the devs need paying, donate to the project, it means that they will be able to go to a devcon and meet up, bring new ideas to the table, and most importantly probably have a round of beers for their hard work.

Also remember, one person created the World Wide Web, gave it to us for free, and to this day we are reaping those rewards and ‘all’ he got in return was a title!!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
@Daydream

I found your post quite interesting, if I understood you right, you wrote from an user standpoint that likes Kodi a lot and feels that things go too slow, especially about skins and that assumes that by putting money somewhat into the equation (as you think many Kodi users would be willing to do) the final result would be much better.

I would like to add my two cents, and this time from a skinner standpoint. As you can see, I’ve been a user of this forum for ten years now and (probably like you) I fell in love with the Aeon skins available back then. I had written software before, even professionally, but Kodi skinning engine was something far more complicated, beyond my reach. However, I’m of the stubborn kind and I like challenges, so little by little I started to learn how to make small changes to skins. My imagination started to flow and after many, many, many hours of hard work and many, many, many nights going to bed later than I dare to admit, I could release some mods; years went by and finally I got to have a skin in the official repo (Aeon Tajo). In the meantime, I feel proud that some of my ideas for Kodi (for instance videolyrics) have been adapted by other skinners and now make part of their skins.

All that time I had a full time job, but suddenly, after many years, 9 months ago I lost my job. A thought was in my mind: I really like Kodi skinning, I’m still full of ideas, wouldn’t it be great if somewhat I could work now full time on it? It seemed like a win-win, I could work in what I like, and my ideas could come true, benefiting thousands of Kodi users. Obviously, I knew that this forum wasn’t the place to get that, but I supposed that somewhere, somehow, my Kodi skinning skills, my 10 years of experience helping users in the forum, would get me some kind of attention in order to get a job.

I sent my resume to several companies, offered my services in online webs, created a profile in link****… all to no avail. I soon discovered that the work in Kodi must be for free and in your free time, since there’s no way to work in a professional manner on it (legally, of course).

Also, to make a test, I added a donation link in the thread of Aeon Tajo in the Kodi forum. I had never done that, but since I was unemployed I thought that the money I could get would be of some help to me. At the same time, I could learn if users would be willing to support my work even in a small manner, at least to show their appreciation… Want to know the result? In all this time only one donation from one user, 10 eur (thanks again to him). By the way, the last update of the skin was downloaded more that 103.000 times in little more than a month…

To cut a long story short, I can tell you for sure that there’s no chance to make a living with Kodi, even if you intend to. I will keep working on my skin now and again while I feel motivated, but I must confess that maybe that motivation won’t last much longer… it’s sad to say that nowadays users don’t even express their gratitude in any way. It’s easy to see the reason why many devs leave Kodi; do the math: Hard work + For free + Real life + Lack of appreciation… Now I’m working again temporally to replace a worker while he’s sick. It’s a very small company, only my boss and I. Sometimes I thought crosses my mind: What a pity that one single person can afford my wages, while (at least) 103.000 can’t…  Soon I will be unemployed again, but sadly this time I know where not to look for a job.

Long live Kodi anyway!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2021-07-16, 00:19)manfeed Wrote: only one donation from one user
Yup been there, seen that. Many eons ago, a short program that copied the disk o/s into recoverable ram for very sprightly reboots in a time of floppies., everyone used it. One donation from a buddy I knew. Knowledge of computers, and experience opened a few doors that would have stayed closed if I hadn't had the interest. Those where very heady days, a new frontier with just about every discipline getting a big digital shake-up, creative directions unparalleled and whole new venues opening, from gaming to communications.

It doesn't hurt to have Kodi experience in your resume, and it can be fun. To have contributed a skin that literally thousands enjoy, should speak volumes to your creative side and understand that you have added to human journey of exploration in many ways. Equate the hard-work on the keyboard to the farmer who toils in the field to ensure his crop feeds us all with little reward, for some of us it's been a harder journey but still appreciated.
(2021-07-16, 00:19)manfeed Wrote: can tell you for sure that there’s no chance to make a living with Kodi,
Yes, and it's likely to stay that way as the community has invested their combined efforts into it as volunteers without pay. There are opportunities presented on rare occasions, but far too little to have any hope of it's capitalization. Given the atmosphere of mostly the hobbyist, I would dissuade anyone from seeking monetary rewards through contributions, other than to suggest those that carry Kodi, carry the worlds interest. It has been a fascinating journey, an educational tool for me, and not to forget a great community.
Maybe I missed the point of the thread but I have to ask. Why does it need to "go somewhere?" Personally I am quite happy with it the way it is aside from the occasional bug (nothing is bug free). I think we live for change which is fine and good but change also brings new problems. Why can't it just be a solid reliable 10 foot media player / hub for local media. People can write addon's seemingly easy enough. 

New features and such are great but then you end up in a potential mess. I know Kodi isn't Linux specific but the Linux philosophy really has it's upsides. Do one thing and do it really well. Certainly beats doing 100 things half assed at best.
(2021-09-06, 20:21)jmgibson1981 Wrote: Why does it need to "go somewhere?
There are deficiencies to be addressed, and indeed Kodi has made many people happy as a solid 10 foot media player containing your personal library. The latest efforts to match Kodi with the latest hardware and software standards is testament to change. I suspect the o/p was reflecting the change in media delivery and referenced in post #6 and not much added beyond that.
(2021-09-06, 20:21)jmgibson1981 Wrote: Do one thing and do it really well.
If only this mantra would prevail in all aspects of life.
(2021-09-07, 17:19)PatK Wrote:
(2021-09-06, 20:21)jmgibson1981 Wrote: Why does it need to "go somewhere?
There are deficiencies to be addressed, and indeed Kodi has made many people happy as a solid 10 foot media player containing your personal library. The latest efforts to match Kodi with the latest hardware and software standards is testament to change. I suspect the o/p was reflecting the change in media delivery and referenced in post #6 and not much added beyond that.
(2021-09-06, 20:21)jmgibson1981 Wrote: Do one thing and do it really well.
If only this mantra would prevail in all aspects of life.

I appreciate your ability to be pragmatic about it all. I still have the need to hoard data but I also need to be able to entertain myself, family, and guests. That requires either a separate box (I use an Nvidia Shield but have yet to attempt to configure kodi on it with my mysql db to use that...so I use Plex on that tv) or just using a smart. If we can just add these inside Kodi, it will have a long life. Otherwise, it's just holding a lot of us (especially us Windows HTPC users) back in ways. I appreciate everyone's efforts, either way.
(2021-09-20, 15:30)debennett2 Wrote: Nvidia Shield but have yet to attempt to configure kodi
Then; you're simply missing out, no shame in that, but what a shame! Nothing against the simplicity of Plex, nor the cost (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Plex) Let's not hold you back from downgrading your set-up, I do own a Shield, and have a connection to my PC without issues.
(2021-09-20, 18:46)PatK Wrote:
(2021-09-20, 15:30)debennett2 Wrote: Nvidia Shield but have yet to attempt to configure kodi
Then; you're simply missing out, no shame in that, but what a shame! Nothing against the simplicity of Plex, nor the cost (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Plex) Let's not hold you back from downgrading your set-up, I do own a Shield, and have a connection to my PC without issues.

I think it's likely because I can't definitively find a guide to do so, honestly.
(2021-09-21, 20:38)debennett2 Wrote: I can't definitively find a guide to do so, honestly.
To be honest have you looked? https://kodi.wiki/view/Main_Page to carry this discussion further, post in the support forum of your choice with a debug log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is Kodi's Projected path to the future?0