[LINUX] Improve XBMC by using FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) best practices?
Lightbulb 
Hi, i'm not a developer but just a linux packager, i work with source code any day, ad i have to say the true, i don't like so much XBMC code/installed files. It just think to be in windows even if is not.

XBMC is infact (maybe) the only software i know the have all windows problems, and do not care about linux standards/improvments...

examples: xbmc.bin and xbmc-xrandr MUST go in /usr/bin
all libraries considered as plugins should go in LIBDIR/xbmc (where LIBDIR is /usr(/local)/lib(64)

and so on

1st) it don't care about LINUX FHS ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ) That is a STANDARD and should be followed

example

2nd) it provides his own NOT VERSIONED (all of the are just *.so), NOT SHARED (they are used only by XBMC) , BAD LOCATED (they are not in default system libdir) libraries.

example: /usr/share/xbmc/system is the same one you found in windows, where you provide your own dll. in linux you should use as much as possible shared libraries already installed on the system (and you know they are because the are REQUIRED to successful compile it) and the libraries should be located in /usr/lib(64) or /usr/lib(64)/xbmc you can of course use /usr/local instead of /usr

3rd) other stupid things like: /usr/share/xbmc/system/players/dvdplayer/etc/fonts/* why are they there when /etc/fonts/* already existHuh

4th) you tell your software provide 64bit support but almost all distros (excluding ubuntu : you can refer to a very old post i already published)

use /usr/lib64 for 64 libraries. i still wonder to understand why you still don't want to check for dbus-1.0 and glib-2.0 headers in -I/usr/lib64/*/include folders

i like your software, but i think there is lots of work you can do it to really improves it
Agreed, but following the fhs standards does not make the software better Wink

EDIT: I've renamed this thread to use a proper title.. "HOW TO" is kinda misleading.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:Agreed, but following the fhs standards does not make the software better Wink

EDIT: I've renamed this thread to use a proper title.. "HOW TO" is kinda misleading.

no problem about 3d title, but use shared libraries instead of your own ones make it..

for the following reasons:

1st) less code to maintain
2nd) less code to maintain means you have more time to work on xbmc code Smile
We hack and wrap all libraries not currently included in the --enable-external-libraries configure option (new as of a couple days ago). Maybe once we get the code in a state we think is good enough we'll worry about the formalities. But right now, it is of zero concern to us.
althekiller Wrote:We hack and wrap all libraries not currently included in the --enable-external-libraries configure option (new as of a couple days ago). Maybe once we get the code in a state we think is good enough we'll worry about the formalities. But right now, it is of zero concern to us.

fsh maybe a formality, but using your own not shared libraries hits performances really..
Since XBMC is a cross platform media center we will have to deal with it in some parts i guess. The newly added external-libraries stuff is something only Linux will benefit from.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
anubisg1 Wrote:fsh maybe a formality, but using your own not shared libraries hits performances really..

Patches welcome Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Improve XBMC by using FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) best practices?0