Solved How to copy and paste using Kodi File Manager?
I need to copy files and folders from the read-only usr directory to the writable storage directory. When I select the file and bring up the context menu I am offered Copy or Move so I select Copy. But when going to the opposite screen I can find no Paste option in the context menu. I tried Move but that does exactly what it says which is not what I want to do. 

Can someone please explain the procedure required to paste content once in the clipboard?
Copy will copy from one window to the other window.
(2021-03-19, 19:34)Hitcher Wrote: Copy will copy from one window to the other window.

Thanks. I will try that tonight.
(2021-03-19, 15:45)QT-Pro Wrote: I need to copy files and folders from the read-only usr directory to the writable storage directory. When I select the file and bring up the context menu I am offered Copy or Move so I select Copy. But when going to the opposite screen I can find no Paste option in the context menu.

It's not a copy/paste that you need, but mark/select (with long press) the object you need to copy, which will bring up a window where you choose "Copy". 
If in the other window you have selected a writable path/folder, it will bring up a confirmation window where you have to select "Yes" Wink
(2021-03-19, 21:28)Sholander Wrote:
(2021-03-19, 15:45)QT-Pro Wrote: I need to copy files and folders from the read-only usr directory to the writable storage directory. When I select the file and bring up the context menu I am offered Copy or Move so I select Copy. But when going to the opposite screen I can find no Paste option in the context menu.

It's not a copy/paste that you need, but mark/select (with long press) the object you need to copy, which will bring up a window where you choose "Copy". 
If in the other window you have selected a writable path/folder, it will bring up a confirmation window where you have to select "Yes" Wink
Unfortunately, it did not work. If I try to copy a file, it works perfectly, but when I try to copy the skin.estuary directory from /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary, there is no copy option. The only options I get after a long press are: 
Edit Source
Make Default 
Remove Source 
Choose Thumbnail

Knowing I could copy a single file, I did manage to copy the zipped version of skin.estuary from a USB drive to the /storage/.kodi/addons folder however, despite having an archive support addon installed, it was not possible to unzip the file.
It doesn't sound like you're in the file manager if you have those options.

(2021-03-20, 10:59)Hitcher Wrote: It doesn't sound like you're in the file manager if you have those options.

Yes, I am but I'm using CoreELEC. Being Kodi based, I did not realize there was any difference. 
And yes, I have posted about this on the CoreELEC community but the guy who provided me with the file won't respond as he is upset that I don't know how to use SSH.
(2021-03-20, 11:21)QT-Pro Wrote: Yes, I am but I'm using CoreELEC. Being Kodi based, I did not realize there was any difference. 
And yes, I have posted about this on the CoreELEC community but the guy who provided me with the file won't respond as he is upset that I don't know how to use SSH.

I have read your conversation on CE forum, and as I remember you got a complete version of Estuary skin, only with a modified "Home.xml". All you have to do is install that skin via "Install from zip file" option (NOT copy it) and you'll get the skin addon it the right path (storage/.kodi/addons) where you can do any other changes. To use this skin after installation, first  you have to enable it so it shows in your skin list to be chosen for use.

And if you want to copy complete "skin.estuary" folder first unzip it on a PC machine and transfer it to CE via USB stick to proper path.

Btw, you should be able to copy skin folder from root location to storage, as you tried. If you cannot do that, there is something wrong with your settings/installation. More info on File manager here
"as I remember you got a complete version of Estuary skin, only with a modified "Home.xml". All you have to do is install that skin via "Install from zip file" option (NOT copy it) and you'll get the skin addon it the right path (storage/.kodi/addons) where you can do any other changes.

To use this skin after installation, first  you have to enable it so it shows in your skin list to be chosen for use."

I am already using a significantly modified version of Estuary. If I select this default version, surely I will lose all the customization I have already added? And, if the skin I am already using is Estuary, are you sure I'm not setting myself up for trouble by installing the same skin again?

"And if you want to copy complete "skin.estuary" folder first unzip it on a PC machine and transfer it to CE via USB stick to proper path."

I tried that but copy was not possible. As I said in my previous reply to you, the only options I get after a long press are: 
Edit Source
Make Default 
Remove Source 
Choose Thumbnail

"Btw, you should be able to copy skin folder from root location to storage, as you tried. If you cannot do that, there is something wrong with your settings/installation. More info on File manager here"

Same answer again. There is no copy option available in the context menu when selecting a folder. The File Manager page gave no info relating to settings or this issue. Sad 

I'm thinking that the ideal solution would be to open the Home.xml file in some kind of app and edit it. Surely a simple select all > copy, and then paste to the original > Save, would do the job. Is there an addon or app that would allow me to do that?
(2021-03-20, 13:31)QT-Pro Wrote: I'm thinking that the ideal solution would be to open the Home.xml file in some kind of app and edit it. Surely a simple select all > copy, and then paste to the original > Save, would do the job. Is there an addon or app that would allow me to do that?

No, you cannot copy anything to original location, as it's READ ONLY like all files in root location. You have to copy "skin.estuary" to storage/.kodi/addons folder, and then you can do changes on that location. There is NO COPY/PASTE option in Kodi file manager. It works as I explained before.
Did you try to install the Estuary skin in zip format that you received (from here), as I suggested?

To be able to use all potential of Kodi File Manager you have to fulfill some prerequisite, did you do that?
(2021-03-20, 13:31)QT-Pro Wrote: Same answer again. There is no copy option available in the context menu when selecting a folder. The File Manager page gave no info relating to settings or this issue. Sad 

Here is the screenshot of what you have to enable for full potential of file manipulations in File manager:

And this is how it should look to copy from root to storage:

I will have to check whether all those prerequistes have been enabled. I think they have but I need to go home to see that. 

In your 2nd screenshot, there is no "Install from zip file" option. Where will I find that please, and are you sure that installing this default Estuary skin will not remove all the extensive customization I have done of the original Estuary skin?
(2021-03-20, 15:14)QT-Pro Wrote: I will have to check whether all those prerequistes have been enabled. I think they have but I need to go home to see that. 

In your 2nd screenshot, there is no "Install from zip file" option. Where will I find that please, and are you sure that installing this default Estuary skin will not remove all the extensive customization I have done of the original Estuary skin?

It probably will remove some, not all, but you can always return to your original skin to see your changes and do them again in new version. You'll have 2 skins to choose with which one to work.
To se "Install from zip file" in Home screen scroll down to "Addons" and it's the third option in top icon row. Or go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Add-on browser and choose Install from zip file.

Btw, after installing a new skin you'll need to reboot before it becomes visible in Add-ons -> My add-ons -> Look and feel -> Skin. There you have to long press on your new skin and choose Information -> select "Use". After this you go to Settings -> Interface -> Skin and there finally select your new skin.
Wonderful! Very explicit reply for which I thank you very much. I will try all this once I return home although I can see no reason why it shouldn't work.
(2021-03-20, 13:31)QT-Pro Wrote: the only options I get after a long press are: 
Edit Source
Make Default 
Remove Source 
Choose Thumbnail

That's because you've made that folder a source. You need to go back a level and then add that as the source so when you enter it you can see the folder you want to copy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to copy and paste using Kodi File Manager?0