maybe not so Kodi related question
Hello,
I am interested in watching video streaming websites on my TV. For that purpose, something like Chromecast is great, it fullfills my 2 major needs:

1) control everything from my phone
2) ability to truly cast onto TV from my phone, not mirroring

However Chromecast being closed system is heavily limiting video content I can watch.

I am currently using classical Kodi with remote control app on my phone. It works, but the UI is quite cumbersome/robust cnsidering to my specific use since I do not need any of the media center features. Chromecast is amazing in it's simplicity - you just look up a video you want to watch on your phone and cast it on tv. Done. That is all I need.

So my question is, is there a Kodi version that would support my needs better or should I look or some other platform(RaspberryPi cast)?

Thank you for your suggestions.
There is basically only one version of Kodi, although it can be given a number of different skins which appearance different and either simplified or almost infinitely customisable, depending on the skin used.

But Kodi cannot cast to Chromecast for the very reason you mention, that it's a closed system.

So for your usage case, you may be better off with a simple player which can do so. You don't say what ecosystem you're phone is in (Apple, Android or something else) but there are a lot of other video players out there which you can try (VLC being the most common example). Once the media is cast to the Chromecast then it should make a direct link to whatever is acting as the source of the media (usually anyway) and become independent of the casting device.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-03-19, 17:56)DarrenHill Wrote: There is basically only one version of Kodi, although it can be given a number of different skins which appearance different and either simplified or almost infinitely customisable, depending on the skin used.

But Kodi cannot cast to Chromecast for the very reason you mention, that it's a closed system.

So for your usage case, you may be better off with a simple player which can do so. You don't say what ecosystem you're phone is in (Apple, Android or something else) but there are a lot of other video players out there which you can try (VLC being the most common example). Once the media is cast to the Chromecast then it should make a direct link to whatever is acting as the source of the media (usually anyway) and become independent of the casting device.
Kodi can, or could, cast to Chromecast. I might misunderstood what you are saying but your proposal does not seem to fix my issue. Chromecast is like Kodi - a platform that is playing the media from different sources therefore if Chromecast cannot play the source, there is no solution.

Although I could play it in some player and mirror it to Chromecast but that would be redundant.

I found https://www.stremio.com/ which is very very close to what I am after. Unfortunately it does not allow enough customizability/freedom such as Kodi - ie. I cannot add youtube videos to library, I can only add channels. Maybe there is something I overlooked though...

I am looking for simple thing to look through content on ie. Netflix, Youtube or 123movies, pick content I want and add it to my own library or playlist. I believe that is doable with Kodi, right? So far I haven't figured out how to add stuff to library or create playlists from add-on.

I am just experiementing with Kodi that runs on my PC attached with HDMI cable to TV as my 2nd screen. From there I use Yatsee on Android phone to control Kodi. I must say it does work and using phone solves most of my issues with Kodi UI.

Once I have setup finilized I move it to Raspberry or some kind of box.
Piracy stuff like 123movies are against our forum rules (wiki) and are not supported here. Nor are any projects or devices which make use of such banned addons (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-03-20, 11:08)Gant Wrote: I am looking for simple thing to look through content on ie. ... 123movies

Please mind our forum rules (wiki) and piracy policy (wiki), because just even mentioning add-ons that provide content is a video piracy manner is not accepted here.
I am sorry if I offended anyone. I just wanted to give some cloud storage site as a refrence(I don't use that particular site nor intent to) and apparently picked a wrong one - I am not US based so the reference to my small local site would be moot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
maybe not so Kodi related question0