Add folder from NAS
Hello, 

I am having trouble adding folders from a ZyXEL NSA320 NAS to KODI v19.0
From windows i can access the NAS and browse it's folders without any issues, but when i open KODI and go to Library>Add Source>Browse, it does not see the NAS no matter what. I tried with NFS, SMB, with IP, with remote path, etc. 
I looked at some tutorials, but nothing helped Sad
(2021-03-23, 22:50)Andrei Wrote: Hello, 

I am having trouble adding folders from a ZyXEL NSA320 NAS to KODI v19.0
From windows i can access the NAS and browse it's folders without any issues, but when i open KODI and go to Library>Add Source>Browse, it does not see the NAS no matter what. I tried with NFS, SMB, with IP, with remote path, etc. 
I looked at some tutorials, but nothing helped Sad
Does this help ? --> https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB#Adding_Remote_Sources
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Yes, it works on the PC (with the IP as server name). Don't know why it did not work in the first place, but nevermind. Now that I know the NAS is accessible to Kodi, how do I make it accessible to the TV too?
If I do the exact same steps on the TV (Android OS), it says "Software caused connection abort.
Also, on the PC from the "Browse for new share menu", if I click directly on the Windows Network (SMB) it sees the NAS and I can select it. On the TV it just says Error 2: Share not available. 
If I go instead on Network file system (NFS) it does nothing. 
If I go to Add network location... and select Network File System (NFS) as protocol, and type the same IP and shared folder as I did on the PC, it says "The connection to the network location could not be established"
What am I doing wrong? Sad
Well, NFS & SMB are two completely different file sharing protocols.  You can use one or both on a LAN but you cannot connect to an SMB share by selecting NFS as the protocol.  If your NAS can share files using NFS (and if it's running some sort of Linux as it's OS it probably can) then I'd switch to using that if you possibly can, rather than SMB. Windows can access NFS shares (see https://medium.com/ibexoft/mounting-nfs-...4dc8751196) so you can still easily transfer files to/from it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
FWIW I got in the habit of using the file manager to add smb folders, then they appear as potential source folders (or set artwork or artist info etc).

scott s.
(2021-03-24, 22:32)black_eagle Wrote: Well, NFS & SMB are two completely different file sharing protocols.  You can use one or both on a LAN but you cannot connect to an SMB share by selecting NFS as the protocol.  If your NAS can share files using NFS (and if it's running some sort of Linux as it's OS it probably can) then I'd switch to using that if you possibly can, rather than SMB. Windows can access NFS shares (see https://medium.com/ibexoft/mounting-nfs-...4dc8751196) so you can still easily transfer files to/from it.

Ok, so from windows I used SMB to access the NAS. 
What do I use to access the NAS from the Android TV? I mean, if SMB worked from Windows, that means that the NAS uses SMB protocol (since I can't access it using NFS protocol). So why can't I access the NAS from the Android TV using the SMB protocol?
I have SMB working well on my Android TV (Sony) I don't recall having to do anything special.  Check on your NAS what SMB versions are supported.  Entering a password using the TV remote was a challenge (Kodi blocks the password display so you have to hope you hit the right buttons).

scott s.
What password are you talking about?
I don't need a password to access the NAS. There is an admin account (with a password) used to access advanced settings, but for normal file browsing I don't need a password. I just go to Network locations (in File Explorer) and access the folders.
Try this in KODI: goto SETTINGS - SERVICES - SMB CLIENT and select minimum protocol version SMBv1 and for max protocol version SMBv1. For the Wins server i entered the IP
Of my Nas. Doing this worked for me on my Zyxel Nsa 325v2 Nas . I Suspect kodi tries to connect using v2 or v3 if the protocol but the nas knows only v1.
Try this in KODI: goto SETTINGS - SERVICES - SMB CLIENT and select minimum protocol version SMBv1 and for max protocol version SMBv1. For the Wins server i entered the IP
Of my Nas. Doing this worked for me on my Zyxel Nsa 325v2 Nas . I Suspect kodi tries to connect using v2 or v3 if the protocol but the nas knows only v1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add folder from NAS0