Release Weather.NOAA (aka National Weather Service)
(2021-03-26, 10:01)Daydream Wrote: Works as described.
But for ex-Europeans in America Smile, upon switching to Celsius, the user gets a mix of values on different scales. The "now" temp in Overview switches to C, but anything Forecast, Daily, Hourly remains in F.

That would be a bug for me to fix then.  The "current" skin temp variable is sent to kodi as an integer (in celcius) that kodi itself then converts.  There's some "Day.1.xyz" variables that are also sent back in that fashion, but most skins now use the "Daily.1.xyz" variables, which are all sent as text (and the plugin is responsible for converting).

I'll have to look into that.
Using the NOAA weather map I get the following for my location, 40.57N 75.71 w. If I enter that as 40.57,-75.71 into your addon it pulls up weather for Wellsboro, NY which is nowhere near my location in PA. If I use google maps I get, 40.5701,-75.7229. If I put that in again it pulls up Wellsboro, NY. The only way I have found to fix it is to put in 40.5701,-75.7229 in both the first entry and then the second entry in the configuration screen. Once you put it into the second entry then it pulls up the correct list of local forecast locations. It's not clear to me what the first entry in the configuration is actually doing but clearly you need to enter the correct lat/long in both entries.
For clarity, what I'm referencing above is that each location in the app configuration screen seems to have 3 entries:
1 - Latitude,Longitude(to 4 decimal places)
2 - Fetch Forecast Zone and Station
3 - Location Display Name
(2021-04-03, 14:59)wags1 Wrote: Using the NOAA weather map I get the following for my location, 40.57N 75.71 w. If I enter that as 40.57,-75.71 into your addon it pulls up weather for Wellsboro, NY which is nowhere near my location in PA. If I use google maps I get, 40.5701,-75.7229. If I put that in again it pulls up Wellsboro, NY. The only way I have found to fix it is to put in 40.5701,-75.7229 in both the first entry and then the second entry in the configuration screen. Once you put it into the second entry then it pulls up the correct list of local forecast locations. It's not clear to me what the first entry in the configuration is actually doing but clearly you need to enter the correct lat/long in both entries.
For clarity, what I'm referencing above is that each location in the app configuration screen seems to have 3 entries:
I am not clear what you mean by "the second entry"?  if you mean Location2,  that is for a 2nd weather location (which [depending on the skin] you can swtich between. (you can put in up to 5 locations at present)
(2021-04-05, 18:31)randallspicher Wrote:
(2021-04-03, 14:59)wags1 Wrote: Using the NOAA weather map I get the following for my location, 40.57N 75.71 w. If I enter that as 40.57,-75.71 into your addon it pulls up weather for Wellsboro, NY which is nowhere near my location in PA. If I use google maps I get, 40.5701,-75.7229. If I put that in again it pulls up Wellsboro, NY. The only way I have found to fix it is to put in 40.5701,-75.7229 in both the first entry and then the second entry in the configuration screen. Once you put it into the second entry then it pulls up the correct list of local forecast locations. It's not clear to me what the first entry in the configuration is actually doing but clearly you need to enter the correct lat/long in both entries.
I am not clear what you mean by "the second entry"?  if you mean Location2,  that is for a 2nd weather location (which [depending on the skin] you can swtich between. (you can put in up to 5 locations at present)
For each location there are 3 entries. I listed them at the bottom of my post as 1, 2, and 3 for clarity. So when I said "the second entry" I meant #2 in the list. The second entry for one single location.
(2021-04-06, 14:55)wags1 Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 18:31)randallspicher Wrote:
For each location there are 3 entries. I listed them at the bottom of my post as 1, 2, and 3 for clarity. So when I said "the second entry" I meant #2 in the list. The second entry for one single location.
Number 2:  "Fetch forecast Zone and Station" is a button to fetch (or re-fetch) some zone and forecast center details from weather.gov for that lat,long (the hidden variables that are actually used in the api calls to fetch the actual forecasts), as well as fetch a list of nearby weather stations to use for the current conditions (which it then shows as a pop-up for you to pick which one you want to use).   If you don't click it and fetch that data, you should see a pop-up the first time kodi actually tries to fetch weather from that location when the plugin notices it doesn't know which weather zone you want.  Also, if you edit and change your lat,long, you would need to click it again to fetch the new zone information for that location.

Note that because of the way the settings behave, when you type the latitude,longitude, that does not actually get saved until you click OK on the settings dialog, so if you immediately click "fetch forecast Zone and station", it will still see the previous lat,long that was saved in the settings (or a blank) when it tries to fetch the zone/station info.  I may turn the lat,long entry into a pop-up dialog for that reason, so that I can use the scripting to actually save the value before it tries to do the fetch.

Number 3:  is just the label to use for the location (initially grabbed from weather.gov with the zone when you fetch the location data) which you can then change.   For example, instead of "TwoTownsOver, TX" that weather.gov uses for the name of your general area, you can name it "Home" or "Grandma's House" or "Work", or "MyActualTown", which then gets sent to the skin as the name of the location.   It has no effect on the actual weather data returned.  It's just what you want to call it, which becomes more useful if you put in several locations that you switch between.
(2021-04-07, 04:26)randallspicher Wrote:
(2021-04-06, 14:55)wags1 Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 18:31)randallspicher Wrote: I am not clear what you mean by "the second entry"?  if you mean Location2,  that is for a 2nd weather location (which [depending on the skin] you can swtich between. (you can put in up to 5 locations at present)
Number 2:  "Fetch forecast Zone and Station" is a button to fetch (or re-fetch) some zone and forecast center details from weather.gov for that lat,long (the hidden variables that are actually used in the api calls to fetch the actual forecasts), as well as fetch a list of nearby weather stations to use for the current conditions (which it then shows as a pop-up for you to pick which one you want to use).   If you don't click it and fetch that data, you should see a pop-up the first time kodi actually tries to fetch weather from that location when the plugin notices it doesn't know which weather zone you want.  Also, if you edit and change your lat,long, you would need to click it again to fetch the new zone information for that location.

Note that because of the way the settings behave, when you type the latitude,longitude, that does not actually get saved until you click OK on the settings dialog, so if you immediately click "fetch forecast Zone and station", it will still see the previous lat,long that was saved in the settings (or a blank) when it tries to fetch the zone/station info.  I may turn the lat,long entry into a pop-up dialog for that reason, so that I can use the scripting to actually save the value before it tries to do the fetch.

Number 3:  is just the label to use for the location (initially grabbed from weather.gov with the zone when you fetch the location data) which you can then change.   For example, instead of "TwoTownsOver, TX" that weather.gov uses for the name of your general area, you can name it "Home" or "Grandma's House" or "Work", or "MyActualTown", which then gets sent to the skin as the name of the location.   It has no effect on the actual weather data returned.  It's just what you want to call it, which becomes more useful if you put in several locations that you switch between.
Thanks for the explanations. You may want to rethink how entries 1 and 2 work.
Why do I get only the high or low for each day instead of both?

ImageIMAGE LINK
(2021-03-26, 10:01)Daydream Wrote: Works as described.
But for ex-Europeans in America Smile, upon switching to Celsius, the user gets a mix of values on different scales. The "now" temp in Overview switches to C, but anything Forecast, Daily, Hourly remains in F.
The latest beta in my repo (2.0.4-b8) should fix this.  Only Celsius and Farenheit though, because if you want Kelvin or one of those other weird units that Kodi decided for some bizarre reason to put in as options, then your too nerdy and I'll just roll my eyes at you.
(2021-04-08, 17:02)melons2 Wrote: Why do I get only the high or low for each day instead of both?

ImageIMAGE LINK

Because the NWS has 2 separate forecasts for each day.  One for Daytime (which has a high) and a second, different forecast for NightTime (which has a low)  That  means instead of seeing "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", you will see "Monday", "Monday Night", "Tuesday", "Tuesday Night", "Wednesday", "Wednesday Night" as the "days" instead.  NWS supplies forecasts for ~7 days out, but will show up as ~14 separate records in kodi.
(2021-04-07, 17:55)wags1 Wrote:
(2021-04-07, 04:26)randallspicher Wrote:
(2021-04-06, 14:55)wags1 Wrote: For each location there are 3 entries. I listed them at the bottom of my post as 1, 2, and 3 for clarity. So when I said "the second entry" I meant #2 in the list. The second entry for one single location.
Number 2:  "Fetch forecast Zone and Station" is a button to fetch (or re-fetch) some zone and forecast center details [snip snip snip]
The latest beta in my repo has revamped the settings.  you now get a separate dialog for lattitude, and longitude, which hopefully will make it less confusing.  And it should pass on the right data into the "pick your weather station dialog" right after that when you enter (or update) a location.
(2021-04-17, 07:21)randallspicher Wrote:
(2021-04-07, 17:55)wags1 Wrote:
(2021-04-07, 04:26)randallspicher Wrote: Number 2:  "Fetch forecast Zone and Station" is a button to fetch (or re-fetch) some zone and forecast center details [snip snip snip]
The latest beta in my repo has revamped the settings.  you now get a separate dialog for lattitude, and longitude, which hopefully will make it less confusing.  And it should pass on the right data into the "pick your weather station dialog" right after that when you enter (or update) a location.
Thanks. When I get a few minutes I'll try it out for you and post back.
When adding a location, how do you select a preferred weather station, and what happens if the first one selected is not providing accurate data? Can you change the location display name and how does the radar map work in the Kodi weather add-on?
(2023-02-15, 07:26)DunogRamedu Wrote: When adding a location, how do you select a preferred weather station, and what happens if the first one selected is not providing accurate data? Can you change the location display name and how does the radar map work in the Kodi weather add-on?
When you initially add a location (lattitude/longitude) it should immediatly bring up the local weather station selector dialog as the next step.

If you go to the settings, you can also directly click on the "selected station" option under the location, which will bring up the select dialog to allow you to pick a different weather station.  (note, they are sorted by distance from your latitude/longitude).  I'd note that that unless you have a lot of airports nearby, chances are any 2nd choice stations will be much further away, and be even less accurate for your location.

The display name can also be edited (the setting just below the selected station).  I'm noticing that the "select a station" dialog also seems to be immediately re-setting the location display name (I'll probably investigate that, should only need to pre-populate it when changing the lattitude/longitude), so you'll need to edit the name again after picking the station.

The maps show up under the "general" category in the settings.
The radar map (map 1), is a gif pulled from your local weather service office (eg, the regional radar station) that provides the forecasts for your map grid location.

Maps 2-5 are various regional (or continental) satellite or radar imagery that is available that you select on your own.

Note that maps require skin support (not all skins display weather maps)
And some other features (such as emergency weather alerts, or the verbose multi-paragraph forecast descriptions) are pretty unique to the Weather.NOAA addon, and require skin support (the Mimic-LR skin is the only one I'm currently aware of that supports those additional features, although I had played around with adding the additional functionality to the weather screens of some other skins such as Aeon NOX and Esturary-MOD in the past)

As far as accuracy goes, there are 2 APIs that are available to pick from (the "preferred data source" under general settings).  api.wather.gov is the main one.  But it also allows you to select "forecast.weather.gov" as an alternative (forecast.weather.gov is basically what feeds the www.weather.gov website, which is an older version of the api that I'm given to understand will eventually go away).  There are some minor differences between what data they return.  So if the default is giving issues (there have been issues in the past with the api either returning old data, or not responding), you can try switching to forecast.weather.gov as the data source and see if that fares better.  I'd note that if you have api.weather.gov selected as the source,  and it fails to respond, the add-on will fallback to trying to grab the daily weather from forecast.weather.gov instead.  Also note that some features (weather alerts for instance) only come from the api.weather.gov source (regardless of what data source you pick)

Map grid locations are 2km squarish blocks that gets looked up when picking the lattitude/longitude, and is what the "hyper-local" forecasts are based on. The grid forecasts take into account things such as local terrain and altitude, so a forecast from a couple miles away may be a degree or 2 different for instance) You can see more details if you open the settings.xml in the addon data directory if you want to see the actual grid points, as well as things such as the regional forecast office and the like.  If you go to www.weather.gov, and find your location on the click-map, you can get an idea of the grid locations..

I'd also note that depending on your location, you may find you get more accurate forecasts by picking a grid zone next to the one you actually live in.  for example, if you live up a mountain, and the grid you are in mostly covers the area down in the valley, the forecasts (eg, temperatures) may reflect the valley temps rather than the up-the-mountain temps, in which case picking a grid zone next-door that is more up-the-mountain like your location may be more accurate.  Use www.weather.gov to browse around the map-click grid, and grab the latitude/longitude from that if you want to adjust.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weather.NOAA (aka National Weather Service)0