Slow and unresponsive menu on Kodi Matrix
Good evening to everyone.

Since @jogal was able to help with a issue in Kodi 19 on my laptop, I thought I could "take a mile" and hope to have another issue fixed on my dated machine Smile

I'm getting a slow menu (10-12 fps showing when debug is enabled) on Kodi Matrix since quite sometime, even on a fresh install and before setting up my sources.

The last build with "fast" (40-60 fps) menus was from 20201226. Everything after that has the slow fps problem.

The problem only happen when navigating kodi menus. Video playback is working fine.

Here are the logs on 20201226 build (fast menu): https://paste.kodi.tv/ovuxucotum.kodi

and here, the log with slow menus on official v19 release: https://paste.kodi.tv/vudotenaye.kodi

Thanks in advance.
System has 4.0 GB of RAM installed, Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 2 cores available, laptop class FTL: "CreateGUI - using the default windowing system" Intel® HD Graphics Family shared gfx engine; might have something to do with the slow and unresponsiveness of the GUI.  Suggest that you might want to revert to "The last build with "fast" (40-60 fps) menus was from 20201226" or update the hardware to include a standalone gfx engine and add some extra memory. Alternatively this might be a consideration or even https://libreelec.tv/
I’m also getting real slow GUI response with Matrix. My HTPC specs are i3-540 @ 3.06Ghz using onboard intel HD graphics, and 4 gig ram. Video playback seams fine. Just moving my mouse around is laggy in the Kodi GUI only. Leia worked fine.
(2021-05-11, 02:58)TimTech Wrote: I’m also getting real slow GUI response with Matrix. My HTPC specs are i3-540 @ 3.06Ghz using onboard intel HD graphics, and 4 gig ram. Video playback seams fine. Just moving my mouse around is laggy in the Kodi GUI only. Leia worked fine.
What have you set your desktop resolution and frame rate to? You should have at 50 or 60Hz. Anything less (like 25 or 30 Hz trying to match your TV broadcast) will cause laggy behaviour.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have the HTPC connected to a 1080p projector at 60hz.
(2021-05-11, 03:16)TimTech Wrote: I have the HTPC connected to a 1080p projector at 60hz.
Ok, provide a Debug Log that captures the problem and someone might spot the issue.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-05-11, 03:42)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-05-11, 03:16)TimTech Wrote: I have the HTPC connected to a 1080p projector at 60hz.
Ok, provide a Debug Log that captures the problem and someone might spot the issue.
I hope I did this right...
My log file
@TimTech - yes you did the log upload right.

Unfortunately what you didn't do is actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted and agreed to abide by when you signed up here. The log is stuffed full of banned addons (wiki) that violate our piracy policy (wiki). Whilst those are installed, there is no support available for the device. So either the whole thing needs to be cleaned up and those addons/repos removed, or assistance ends here.

The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-05-11, 20:48)DarrenHill Wrote: @TimTech - yes you did the log upload right.

Unfortunately what you didn't do is actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you accepted and agreed to abide by when you signed up here. The log is stuffed full of banned addons (wiki) that violate our piracy policy (wiki). Whilst those are installed, there is no support available for the device. So either the whole thing needs to be cleaned up and those addons/repos removed, or assistance ends here.

The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.

Sorry,
Delete and ban away...
I am also experiencing the same problem.

This is my first post on this forum, so first I'd like to thank the Kodi team for their software and continued efforts in developing it.

I have an "older laptop" attached to a television, and use Kodi software  to watch our videos.  I have been using Kodi for years and up to (and including) version 18.9 it was working very well on that laptop.  However,  with version 19.1, while the videos still play very well and smoothly,  when viewing the Kodi menus the GUI "mouse" pointer is sluggish, and very difficult to control. 

I installed version 19.1 in portable mode so I can  continue to test it, and continue to use version 18.9 as the primary video viewing software. 

The debug log for version 19.1 is located here: omeradawos.kodi (paste)

I note that , in the the "debug mode " the  following info  is displayed  on the screen for version 19.1: 
        (a) when watching a video:  CPU approx 23%,  MEM 1.5/4 GB ,  - 60 FPS
        (b) when in the kodi menu:  CPU approx 5%,  MEM 1.6/4 GB , - 10 FPS

I am puzzled as to why the the videos can play smoothly, (high FPS with the GUI pointer also operating  smoothly) , but when simply viewing the Kodi menus (which are static in nature),  the GUI pointer is sluggish (very low  FPS) .  I am sure the age of the computer hardware is an issue, but there does not seem to be any limitations caused by the CPU capacity nor the memory.   I lowered the screen resolution, and that seems to help a bit with the slow GUI, but does not solve the problem. 

If there are any setting modifications that I missed that could address this issue, I would appreciate any input.  If it turns out that the hardware is the problem , I'll simply continue using version 18.9. 
I suppose there are thousands of older computers  that will face the same situation.  (Is there a possibility that there is an issue with the version 19.1 software itself that needs some adjustment ?)
(2021-05-21, 11:29)Bear99 Wrote: I am also experiencing the same problem.
While the symptoms may appear to be the same, the op issue is banned add-ons and we don't support installations that violate the forum rules. If this is your case, then the end result is the same; no support. But looking at your log it's clearly a different issue that a fresh post might have been addressed in detail. "CPU: Genuine Intel® CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz, 2 cores and 4.0 GB of RAM available" stand out. If you don't have intention of 4K UHD designs, and Kodi 18.9 is where you're at, then suggest to settle in. Kodi has it's roots in the gaming area, and the GUI is always pulling redraws at break neck speeds looking for input, more overlays (graphics) are heavily reliant on gfx routines, which slows down the gfx engine. Once Kodi is playing a video, the interface routines are secondary, and the video priority routines are pretty fast. As you have noted, lower res is faster; if you don't use a joystick make sure the joystick setting is disabled; keep the res the same as your desktop when using full screen, it should give you the best performance.
I have the same issue in an older htpc I have.
Latest versions work fine in my other windows setups but in this windows setup which has ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, latest Kodi builds are slow and unresponsive.

This is a debug log with the last working version (19 beta 2), Kodi is very fast.
kodi-19.0-Matrix_beta2-x64.exe
66.0 MiB    2020-Dec-07 09:58
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows...a2-x64.exe
https://paste.kodi.tv/ixupetufig.kodi

This is a debug log with the last version, the first slow and unresponsive Kodi build is 19 RC1.
kodi-19.0-Matrix_rc1-x64.exe
66.0 MiB    2021-Jan-15 13:46
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows...c1-x64.exe
https://paste.kodi.tv/jumuxeqevo.kodi

I am not updating Kodi in this hptc, Kodi after 19 beta 2 is very slow and unresponsive on it.
I can upload videos if needed to show how fast beta 2 is in this setup and how slow Kodi is after 19 RC1.
My only guess is that the various PRs that have been merged between 19 beta 2 and 19 RC1 about HDR can become problematic with older hardware.
(2021-05-21, 19:36)olympus Wrote: this is a debug log with the last version, the first slow and unresponsive Kodi build is 19 RC1.
My only guess is that the various PRs that have been merged between 19 beta 2 and 19 RC1 about HDR can become problematic with older hardware.

selected ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics adapter.
Your AMD FX™-6300 is from 2012, and ditto GPU.
Your machine is not going to handle HDR videos very well. The Kodi GUI itself should still be okay though.
@olympus

Suggest stable release of Kodi v19.1 (Matrix) is available and circumvents 2021-Jan-15 release candidates.

Note: ALL in this thread.

Recommend starting your own post in your own thread with the issue and debug, as this thread is likely to be binned shortly due to banned addons (wiki) that violate our piracy policy
(2021-05-21, 19:53)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-05-21, 19:36)olympus Wrote: this is a debug log with the last version, the first slow and unresponsive Kodi build is 19 RC1.

selected ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics adapter.
Your AMD FX™-6300 is from 2012, and ditto GPU.
Your machine is not going to handle HDR videos very well. The Kodi GUI itself should still be okay though.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it's my old windows htpc, I don't expect it to handle HDR videos.
My new windows pcs work fine with all matrix builds.
It's not slow in video playback, playback is fine in all matrix builds on it.
I mentioned HDR because I checked the PRs in Github and I found PRs mostly about HDR between the release of beta 2 and RC1. 
It's the Kodi GUI that has become slow and unresponsive after 19 beta 2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow and unresponsive menu on Kodi Matrix0