Slow and unresponsive menu on Kodi Matrix
(2021-05-21, 19:56)PatK Wrote: @olympus

Suggest stable release of Kodi v19.1 (Matrix) is available and circumvents 2021-Jan-15 release candidates.
Thank you for your reply.
I posted 2 debug logs, the second debug log is for 19.1, I posted that it's from RC1 by mistake. I am sorry about that.
I will create a new thread tomorrow and I will also post videos that show the difference of 19 beta 2 and 19.1.
(2021-05-21, 22:22)olympus Wrote: I will create a new thread tomorrow

Just continue to post here. A new thread isn't gonna help you differently.
(2021-05-21, 22:27)Klojum Wrote: Just continue to post here. A new thread isn't gonna help you differently.

Thank you, these are new logs of beta 2 and 19.1
This happens only on my old windows htpc with ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, my new windows machines work fine with all matrix builds.
As you can see in the videos, the navigation I am doing in beta 2 takes 10 seconds and it needs 20 seconds to do the same navigation in 19.1.

kodi-19.0-Matrix_beta2-x64

https://paste.kodi.tv/pevefudaru.kodi

https://i.imgur.com/MCG2tF6.mp4

kodi-19.1-Matrix-x64

https://paste.kodi.tv/elefuqigag.kodi

https://i.imgur.com/WBpI1uv.mp4
(2021-05-22, 12:36)olympus Wrote:
(2021-05-21, 22:27)Klojum Wrote: Just continue to post here. A new thread isn't gonna help you differently.

Hi, new to the forums, so please let me know if I'm slipping up on any guidelines.

I have the same issue as olympus.  Used Kodi for many years without any real issue, mainly for local movies and PVR.

I have 4 laptops that run Kodi as dedicated TV boxes, they are all older laptops, say 8 to 10 years old.  Each has been upgraded with 4GB RAM and SSD, they run Windows 10 and Kodi perfectly, well they all did until I installed v19 or v19.1.  Tracing back as Olympus has done it comes down to a difference between v19 beta 2 and v19 RC1.

I have tried 3 different laptops, all have exactly the same result, menus on beta 2 (and anything before it back to v17) are all fine, everything after beta 2 (RC1, RC2, v19 and v19.1) are all very slow on the menu system.  Video playback is fine, overlays, subtitles, TV recording, PVR playback are all absolutely fine @1080p.  Even the video overlay for the playback and pause/rewind etc is absolutely fine, but as soon as you open up a more full menu system, say the guide in TV, then the menu and the entire Kodi interface hits about 4fps, the mouse, background video etc are all affected by the same drop in FPS.  This is visible in all menus, including the home menu, when the mouse is horribly laggy, with no video or anything playing.  Also visible in the pictures screen saver when the pictures jump across the screen at 3 or 4 FPS.  Back in 19Beta2 the screen saver, menus etc are smooth and fluid as expected.

Have tried a blank Kodi install, even a blank Windows 10 install, all basically the same.  I don't think it's a CPU or GPU problem as the CPU is running at about 5% when this happens, it's not flatlining any of the 4 cores at all, also these laptops may be old, but they still outperform most android TV boxes by a healthy margin.  Can post logs, fresh installs etc or whatever anyone would like to investigate.

Any help you can give would be great, really don't want to go back to 18 and Beta2 doesn't support PVR plugins Sad

Cheers

Richard
@RichardRamshaw please post a Debug Log . If you have several machines thats are affected post a Debug Log from every machine.
"Me too" posts are not useful for debugging.
Different logs from different machines affected by this issue may help a developer to narrow down a common denominator for this issue, eg: gpu model/generation, windows version, etc.
So is there a fix for this ? just add more memory?
It will help reduce the resolution from 1080p to 720p, but then you will no longer enjoy nice sharp images and video. I don't know why the kodi menu has to be so demanding on the GPU.
(2022-05-14, 19:23)Surad Wrote: I don't know why the kodi menu has to be so demanding on the GPU.

One solution to that is to not use prehistoric computer hardware. Kodi needs a certain minimum OpenGL version to perform properly, handled by a video driver package that is not outdated.

If the hardware itself is simply not capable of meeting certain standards anymore, then it's over and done.
I think the question is, why can one’s archaic hardware play 1080p full motion video with Dolby multichannel audio but struggle tracking a mouse arrow over a fairly static Kodi GUI? I, for one, would love to understand that.
(2022-05-18, 15:41)TimTech Wrote: why can one’s archaic hardware play 1080p full motion video with Dolby multichannel audio but struggle tracking a mouse arrow over a fairly static Kodi GUI?

Apples and oranges: different video techniques. H264 video acceleration/rendering support in GPUs has been there for a while now, but we cannot accommodate for every GPU generation in terms of screen buildup combined with all sorts of video drivers.
My graphics chip: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Kodi-19.0-Matrix_beta2-x64.exe works for me well.

Also have NEWER Kodi (v19.4) installed on Linux Lite 5.8 and it works as well.
still no fix? been using kodi for a long time and i've spoken highly of kodi, but after seeing those arrogant and disrespectul replies by the team, i have lost all respect for kodi and wont ever recommend it.

way how you blame it on "banned addons", addons have NOTHING to do your bad and unoptimized programming. addons do not make interface lag. 
it lags, because you, the devs, are too lazy to optimize it. you are rich and all run supercomputers, so you cant bother testing it on more realistic computers that people use for movies. even if i had a powerful laptop, i would not use it, because it costs me too much in electricity. i used to run a secondary pc as media center, but it takes too much electricity, i pay like 30 eur a month just to run that pc, while laptop is 10 or below. some power hungry gaming laptop would easily top that 30 a month and you expect people to WASTE money on some super computer just to run kodi's interface??

i noticed this pattern on all "modern" programs and websites, where "modern" just means make it "gigantic, dont optimize, slow and resource hungry".
modern should mean that its well optimized and will run on win xp like a dream, that's what MODERN should mean, but nowday society's understanding of "modern" is completely the opposite, they just make things worse and worse.

kodi is just another program that will forever be stuck on version 18 for me, because anything higher lags and is un-usable. i cant even browse thru my movies without having to wait couple seconds before moving between folders and/or going up/down the list, its so sluggish and slow.
also kodi 20 crashes a lot, first audio gets stuck and then entire kodi crashes. NEVER had this with 18 or below in 5+ years of using it.

and to top it off, kodi purposly removes older downloads and FORCES people to use that latest slugfest that is not usable, its almost as if kodi's devs want this program to die out and not be used anymore.
i get it its free, but WHY MAKE IT WORSE? as i said, i used to speak highly of kodi, but after trying v20 and seeing this topic, i lost all respect for kodi.

(2022-05-14, 19:50)Klojum Wrote: one solution to that is to not use prehistoric computer hardware. Kodi needs a certain minimum OpenGL version to perform properly, handled by a video driver package that is not outdated.
or how about learn to optimize? explain to me again, why is version 18 and below working fine and later versions lag?
badly optimized programs are not an excuse to force people to use super expensive hardware. i can play movies in 4k just fine using vlc or bsplayer, so why would i want to WASTE money on buying super computer just to run kodi's interface? can you not see how dumb this sounds?

bottom line here, is that devs need to start making programs better and smoother, not make it hog the resources only beause modern computers can handle it.
thats as dumb as building roads only for ferraries and saying "dont use prehistoric cars". not everyone has millions to buy new laptop every year just so that you an visit extremely resource hungry website or watch a simple GUI that could easily be made to run on commodore.

now some hateful moderator will probably ban me, but i really dont care. i just wanted to come here and tell you all the truth. we all know that truth hurts and people cant handle the truth, so paint yourself a colorful unicorn and stare at that,but know that ignoring the reality will not change it.
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: you are rich and all run supercomputers
I stopped reading at this point. No we're not and no we don't.
thanks for the laugh, it's rare for me to read such drivel

(2023-08-24, 20:57)Hitcher Wrote:
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: you are rich and all run supercomputers
I stopped reading at this point. No we're not and no we don't.

OP is talking about 30 eur/mo being high so the bar seems to be quite low and by comparison it might be correct

you should have kept reading for a good laugh
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: after seeing those arrogant and disrespectul replies by the team
Bullshit - Attributed to the team ? wonder who is disrespectful? Forum rule #3 Respect the coding efforts of Kodi devs and other coders. Calling a program or add-on “worthless” will be automatically deemed as disrespect.
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: "banned addons", addons have NOTHING to do your bad
Read the URL link in my sig for 'Caution add-ons you install', perhaps that would enlighten and yes; they do inhibit the software, and yes they can install and break code. It's a common problem for those seeking help.
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: stuck on version 18 for me
No shame in that, we don't want to support old versions that go back 10 years and rely of software that isn't readily available anymore, developers are always pushing ahead with new features, patches and fixes, that on my machine with a rom from 2008 seems to work well, abet i do have a nice gfx card, none of this spreadsheet laptops shit, I think Klojum was just testing out a bit of humor in his mention of prehistoric computers. If you value higher resolutions, better sound, and the efficiencies found in the new Kodi, your equipment must match these expectations.
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: i can play movies in 4k just fine using vlc or bsplayer
That is the beauty of Kodi, the ability to utilize External players (wiki) and still have a commanding library regardless.
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: bottom line here, is
Think you might have forgotten that developers are just users like you and me, and contribute to an open source project just as anyone here can do, so if we're going down the blame game... let's start with you! First post in 5 years and only to vent your personal frustrations, wants and selfish needs?
(2023-08-24, 20:51)mordax Wrote: moderator will probably ban me
My presumption is that you wrote this first diatribe post in the spirit of vengeful, hateful and just plain horseshit, with the expectations of banning. No debug log, nothing that could help anyone,, but for the slight clue in your ramblings that suggest you want help but suggest developers are gods and with a wave of the wand... all will be right. Your idea of the truth, would seem more political propaganda than real.

I'll just flip that around and suggest that the solution is in your hands, personally I run Kodi on a number of platforms without many issues, you can't have it your way with banned adds, jurasic hardware, and crappy scripts and still have responsive software. Time you grew up and contribute to get what you want, or get comfortable with any video player, and don't hijack posts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow and unresponsive menu on Kodi Matrix0