v19 Kodi plays 2160p material at 1080p
Kodi is set to 3840x2160p in settings, but when I play 2160p content, Kodi switches from 3840x2160p resolution to 1920x1080p.

Both resolutions are in the whitelist.

Looks like there's an error in there (DXGI?) Also get an error about 'scaling method 9 not supported'.

Thanks for looking

Short snippet from the log (not the whole log:

[mod edit] Snippets don't tell the whole story. We need a full debug log posted to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to this thread.
Most skins are 1080p, but the videos should play-out at full resolution.
(2021-04-01, 05:02)PatK Wrote: Most skins are 1080p, but the videos should play-out at full resolution.

Okay, thanks.

But why isn't 2160p video being sent out to my display? It's entirely possible I've missed a setting somewhere, but I've been using Kodi a fair while and don't think I have.

Just to double check - should Kodi change the display resolution to match the material? I know it can change the frame rate, but is the problem just that I'm expecting it to change resolution when it in fact won't do that?
Set your GPU settings to 2160p 60hz so Kodi will definitely automatically match the resolution and don't whitelist anything.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Okay thanks, will give that a try. From memory I think it still reverts to 1080p (which is what I want it to do with 1080p material of course), but I'll check.

Might run into the 18Gbps HDMI barrier with HDR/4:4:4/60Hz though. Will have to play around a bit. 4:2:0 works okay with the Xbox One S so will start with that.
Why would you want to display 1080p at 1080p instead of letting it upscale?  Even the Kodi GUI displays at 4k and the high resolution artwork looks great because of it.  Fwiw, no one else is running into barriers with HDR/4:4:4/60Hz titles (I think there are only two in existence) with the proper settings and hardware - unless you mean games which I have zero experience with.  A PC is designed to use 4:4:4.  All other devices are designed to use 4:2:0/4:2:2.  Setting a PC at 4:2:0 would be a step backward.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-04-06, 02:44)brazen1 Wrote: Why would you want to display 1080p at 1080p instead of letting it upscale?  Even the Kodi GUI displays at 4k and the high resolution artwork looks great because of it.  Fwiw, no one else is running into barriers with HDR/4:4:4/60Hz titles (I think there are only two in existence) with the proper settings and hardware - unless you mean games which I have zero experience with.  A PC is designed to use 4:4:4.  All other devices are designed to use 4:2:0/4:2:2.  Setting a PC at 4:2:0 would be a step backward.

I would respond with 'why would you want to upscale something rather display it natively?'.

There is an 18Gbps barrier with HDMI 2.0b chipsets and cabling - you can have two out of three: 4K HDR/60Hz/4:4:4 but not all three unless you go to 2.1 (for 48Gbps).

And my blu-ray player defaults to 4:4:4 - it's not just for PCs.

Anyway, that's all irrelevant.

I'd like Kodi to switch to the correct resolution and frame rate. Prior to the introduction of the whitelist, it would at least switch to a suitable frame rate for all material.

Now it doesn't do that and I'm trying out different content to see what's going on.

The whitelist doesn't include common refresh rates/content rates, like 25p, so they can't be set, meaning that 25p material gets played back at whatever was set beforehand (my default is 23.976 as I watch mostly films). It used to be fine - I can't remember what Kodi switched to but it was probably 50p.

Clearing all the whitelist entries doesn't help.

My guess is that if a refresh rate isn't in the whitelist, Kodi won't switch.

Can the whitelist options be updated?

EDIT: I found the advanced settings option to override 25p to 50p, which works fine for the refresh rate issue. I think there must be a display rate option missing in Windows, as the display does 25p but it's not listed in Windows (is that why 25p is not in the Whitelist?)

Would still like to know how to get Kodi to switch to 2160p with 4K material. Windows has this resolution in its list.
(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: The whitelist seems to be a mess as it doesn't include common refresh rates/content rates,

Whitelist only allows whitelisting the modes that are *actually* supported by your monitor/tv/projector.

(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: Can the whitelist options be updated?

Can you add new modes to your monitor/tv/projector hardware?

(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: I can't remember what Kodi switched to but it was probably 50p.

There is an option for that: "Allow double refresh rates"
(2021-07-09, 23:25)asavah Wrote:
(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: The whitelist seems to be a mess as it doesn't include common refresh rates/content rates,

Whitelist only allows whitelisting the modes that are *actually* supported by your monitor/tv/projector.

(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: Can the whitelist options be updated?

Can you add new modes to your monitor/tv/projector hardware?

(2021-07-09, 22:49)Yearofthegoat Wrote: I can't remember what Kodi switched to but it was probably 50p.

There is an option for that: "Allow double refresh rates"

I disagree. The Whitelist does not list the modes that are *actually* supported by my display. It probably lists the ones that Windows reports via the EDID. My display supports several modes that are NOT listed in the Whitelist.

I can't add new modes to my hardware (what a stupid comment). But it is of course possible to add modes the the software Whitelist. Let the user do that.

Lastly, that option didn't exist in 17.6 IIRC, so it wasn't that.

Can someone *actually* provide some help, or explanation rather than sarcasm?  Thanks.
@Yearofthegoat you may want to watch your attitude a bit.
This software is provided to you by volunteers free of charge.

(2021-07-10, 03:47)Yearofthegoat Wrote: But it is of course possible to add modes the the software Whitelist. Let the user do that

No, manually adding resolutions to whitelist is not supported.
If you want a feature added you have 2 options: code it yourself and contribute or post on the "feature request" subforum and hope that a developer finds it interesting enough to spend their free time on implementing it.

There was no sarcasm in my previous post.
Whitelist allows adding *only* the modes your hardware reports are supported.
If you think your EDID is broken/incomplete - go pester your hardware manufacturer support.
Or find a way to edit the EDID and tell windows to use it, yes, this is possible. (Search for "windows edid override").

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi plays 2160p material at 1080p0