Kodi main screen not displayed all of a sudden
Had Kodi 18.7 running of my R4 for a while. I run it as a service. Yesterday on a reboot the Kodi main screen did not display. I heard the startup sound but no screen and the desktop is locked from any interaction. Its like its on another monitor but only have TV connected on HDMI .

Going through SSH do a sudo systemctl stop kodi.service and it stops and Desktop is released. Then do sudo systemctl start kodi.service and its start fine just as of old. It only screws up on boot
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Done as requested 

kodi.log
Just a bit more detail on how I reproduced on 18.7 Leia
From terminal of Pi:
  1. Started Kodi as command as this works fine
  2. Set debug in System settings
  3. Exit Kodi 
  4. sudo systemctl enable kodi.service
  5. sudo reboot
  6. On boot no Kodi window but hear the startup sound
  7. Desktop locked
  8. SSH into server and copy kodi.log from /home/pi/.kodi/temp/ to /home/pi to make sure I have it exactly at this point
  9. sudo systemctl stop kodi.service - unlocks desktop
  10. Copied and pasted to Kodi Paste
Folks I have done as I was asked providing the logs I would really appreciate any help
(2021-04-10, 00:04)plug_it_in Wrote: Folks I have done as I was asked providing the logs I would really appreciate any help

It may be that no-one can see what the problem is.

'Demanding' help from people who are not paid to help you is unlikely to be beneficial.
(2021-04-10, 10:45)mcelliott Wrote:
(2021-04-10, 00:04)plug_it_in Wrote: Folks I have done as I was asked providing the logs I would really appreciate any help

It may be that no-one can see what the problem is.

'Demanding' help from people who are not paid to help you is unlikely to be beneficial.
I am certainly not demanding , just desperate . I have also tried deleting guisettings.xml just to see if this helps. It doesnt . Also noticed on the Display settings I have no option for Display Mode in any level of settings (Basic - Expert)
(2021-04-10, 11:48)plug_it_in Wrote: I am certainly not demanding , just desperate . I have also tried deleting guisettings.xml just to see if this helps. It doesnt . Also noticed on the Display settings I have no option for Display Mode in any level of settings (Basic - Expert)

Have you considered using LibreElec rather than Raspberry Pi OS?
(2021-04-08, 18:46)plug_it_in Wrote: Desktop locked

I don't think this is a supported mode.  What works well is install Raspbian Lite, install Kodi, install the service, no desktop at all.  Or install LibreELEC, it works well.  And as I understand it this is no longer supported in Kodi 19 (Desktop & GBM).
(2021-04-10, 12:16)wagnerch42 Wrote:
(2021-04-08, 18:46)plug_it_in Wrote: Desktop locked

I don't think this is a supported mode.  What works well is install Raspbian Lite, install Kodi, install the service, no desktop at all.  Or install LibreELEC, it works well.  And as I understand it this is no longer supported in Kodi 19 (Desktop & GBM).
Hi I thought I would start from ground zero. So backed up my microsd and installed a new image of Raspberry pi from rasberry.org site . Full with desktop as this is what I prefer as I run other things than just Kodi.

Did update so all current and installed Kodi. Created the service and enabled via systemctl . Exactly the same problem . So I guess something has changed in Buster thats causing this. Worked fine a while ago.

Are you suggesting Kodi is not supported on a full desktop R4 Raspberry pi ?
OK have fond this is an issue with kodi-standalone. If I run this from a terminal it locks the system up and no Kodi main meu screen
(2021-04-10, 21:36)plug_it_in Wrote: Full with desktop as this is what I prefer as I run other things than just Kodi.

Good luck with that.
Should have finsished typing sorry folks. So I am using a service like this
 [Service]
User = pi
Group = pi
Type = simple
ExecStart = /usr/bin/kodi-standalone
Restart = always
RestartSec = 15

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

This used to work fine

Reading up on kodi-standalone didnt realize this was done for systems without desktop. So will try with kodi instead of kodi-standalone
Kodi on pi runs on gbm (directly on drm driver sort of) while desktop runs on X11.
Both need exclusive access to the gpu.

On raspios when you start kodi via menu/.desktop file there is some hacky magic that happens in the script to allow kodi to run, which does not happen when you start kodi-standalone via sd unit.
Check the file /usr/bin/kodi - it's a custom script shipped by raspios package maintainers, the magic happens there.
Actual binaries are in /usr/lib/kodi/

Does kodi work if you launch it via desktop menu?

Anyway this issue is distro specific and you may have better chance of getting an answer or a workaround on on official rpi forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi main screen not displayed all of a sudden0