Kodi skin and addons development
Hey all!

First off, I am more of a dev with WordPress, and it has occurred to me that WordPress and Kodi are built with the same philosophy... let me indulge you before I come to the actual questions...
  • They both are database driven
  • They both have a core, that only really experienced devs should touch and if a function is not part of the core - it's provided by an add-on or plugin.
  • They both have skins/themes
  • They both have plugins/addons
  • They also have hooks/filters so you can manipulate the database etc
  • The user has to supply the content! (I am pretty sure those scam sites use WordPress!!)
  • They both are FOSS/GPL2
  • They are both Content Management Systems!!! (Think about it - they do both manage content - text/images/video!!! Although running a website off Kodi or a Home Theatre running WordPress right be a bit of an ask!)

Now from a dev point of view, I write/manipulate themes/plugins for WordPress - are my skills transferable to Kodi with skins/addons. I know themes are XML driven, and if I were to write an addon, that's python. Is it a 'simple case' of syntax when writing for themes/addons, and are there any kind of boilerplate themes/addons that can be used as a jumping-off point?

Secondly - do themes/add-ons hook into a Kodi API like WordPress too?

The reason why I ask is it is this FOSS project that has got me off my butt and restarted my web development, and I would dearly love to be able to give something back to this project, even if it's an addon with one line of code!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
Follow the 'wiki' pages in 'development', there's all kinds of material & tutorials to get you started in skins, add-ons, etc..  from the sounds of your background you could fit in; just about everything is open source, we welcome your contributions, even if it's only one line.
(2021-04-09, 13:32)tjay260476 Wrote: Hey all!

First off, I am more of a dev with WordPress, and it has occurred to me that WordPress and Kodi are built with the same philosophy... let me indulge you before I come to the actual questions...
  • They both are database driven
  • They both have a core, that only really experienced devs should touch and if a function is not part of the core - it's provided by an add-on or plugin.
  • They both have skins/themes
  • They both have plugins/addons
  • They also have hooks/filters so you can manipulate the database etc
  • The user has to supply the content! (I am pretty sure those scam sites use WordPress!!)
  • They both are FOSS/GPL2
  • They are both Content Management Systems!!! (Think about it - they do both manage content - text/images/video!!! Although running a website off Kodi or a Home Theatre running WordPress right be a bit of an ask!)

Now from a dev point of view, I write/manipulate themes/plugins for WordPress - are my skills transferable to Kodi with skins/addons. I know themes are XML driven, and if I were to write an addon, that's python. Is it a 'simple case' of syntax when writing for themes/addons, and are there any kind of boilerplate themes/addons that can be used as a jumping-off point?

Secondly - do themes/add-ons hook into a Kodi API like WordPress too?

The reason why I ask is it is this FOSS project that has got me off my butt and restarted my web development, and I would dearly love to be able to give something back to this project, even if it's an addon with one line of code!

Hi tjay260476,

A bit of a shot in the dark, but I saw this post and thought I'd throw it out there.  I'm looking for someone who can assist me in the development of an addon that will require some light integration with Wordpress.  I have some funds available for the development. Essentially some Kodi skinning, WP authentication and data retrieval.  I'd love to have a chat with you and would be happy to provide additional info if you want to discuss  Any interest? No pressure. Just send me a message if you are.  Much thanks.
@shibetpc 

To answer your question - no, I can't, firstly I am still reading up on how to code skins and addons via the wiki, secondly, I won't take offers of work on a forum that is on someone else's server.

Lastly, I want to extend my knowledge with coding using python/XML - purely for learning at this moment in time, whilst I can see how connecting a WordPress site could theoretically work  - i.e I have a podcast elsewhere, and it would make sense in making a podcasting add-on that connects to the main site - I am not experienced enough yet to try that out.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2021-04-28, 19:51)tjay260476 Wrote: @shibetpc 

To answer your question - no, I can't, firstly I am still reading up on how to code skins and addons via the wiki, secondly, I won't take offers of work on a forum that is on someone else's server.

Lastly, I want to extend my knowledge with coding using python/XML - purely for learning at this moment in time, whilst I can see how connecting a WordPress site could theoretically work  - i.e I have a podcast elsewhere, and it would make sense in making a podcasting add-on that connects to the main site - I am not experienced enough yet to try that out.
Understood. Thanks for the reply Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi skin and addons development0