Kodi 19 is it just me?
Hi all

Is it just me or has Kodi 19 completely RUINED my Kodi experience.

I was running 18.9 and as usual I thought I had disabled auto updates, but I must have missed one as it decided to update to 19 again over night and I just spent an hour rolling it back to a WORKING version of this app. 18.9

SMB does not work on 19 properly. And even if some do get it working it has issues.

When it asked me for user creds what is it asking me for a username and a password for? I have a network share . The pc it is on had no login creds. So What is it asking me for! Username and password? What username and password? Anyone?

I have used Kodi for years without issue and Kodi 19 has to be the worst upgrade I have ever seen.......period.

I am not alone in my thoughts I know. Many have complained about it , but nothing has been done about it that I can see so everyone is rolling back to 18.9 and hoping and praying it does not auto update again.

What happened Kodi? Who made this decision and why? Why break what was not broken is my question?

Now you have RUINED my evening and wasted my time for the third time in 2 months, I will hope to watch some media on a the only version that actually accepts SMB shares without asking for usernames and passwords.

I am an extremely unhappy camper with whomever upgraded this app to 19 and in my opinion FAILED miserably in rolling out a working version.

PLEASE Kodi...........FIX the issues..............I implore you.

Thanks
"Is it just me" vs "I am not alone in my thoughts I know" ... So which one is it?
"SMB does not work on 19 properly. And even if some do get it working it has issues." ... So which one is it? Does it work or not?

And no, you are not alone. See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360606

(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: What happened Kodi? Who made this decision and why? Why break what was not broken is my question?
SMB works. However, Microsoft has changed the rules of engagement, not Kodi. Going from SMBv1 (with all its giant security holes) to SMBv2 requires a different approach. Network browsing with SMB is mostly restricted, and by default requires a password. This is not a Kodi requirement, this is all Microsoft's doing. Don't point your finger at us for that.

(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: I will hope to watch some media on a the only version that actually accepts SMB shares without asking for usernames and passwords.
For that you will need to set up YOUR windows server to handle SMBv1 connections and without passwords, but turning your PC/server into a bio hazard using SMBv1 connections, that is your choice. YOUR file server is not our problem. Because if/when Windows has updated your PC to create SMBv2+ only connections, that is not Kodi's doing.

(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: I am an extremely unhappy camper with whomever upgraded this app to 19 and in my opinion FAILED miserably in rolling out a working version.
Certain things have changed, and apparently you didn't get the memo about the SMB changes. Fixing all "issues" includes you making changes to your (network) setup.
Big Grin 
(2021-04-13, 13:09)Klojum Wrote: "Is it just me" vs "I am not alone in my thoughts I know" ... So which one is it?
"SMB does not work on 19 properly. And even if some do get it working it has issues." ... So which one is it? Does it work or not?

And no, you are not alone. See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360606
(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: What happened Kodi? Who made this decision and why? Why break what was not broken is my question?
SMB works. However, Microsoft has changed the rules of engagement, not Kodi. Going from SMBv1 (with all its giant security holes) to SMBv2 requires a different approach. Network browsing with SMB is mostly restricted, and by default requires a password. This is not a Kodi requirement, this is all Microsoft's doing. Don't point your finger at us for that.
(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: I will hope to watch some media on a the only version that actually accepts SMB shares without asking for usernames and passwords.
For that you will need to set up YOUR windows server to handle SMBv1 connections and without passwords, but turning your PC/server into a bio hazard using SMBv1 connections, that is your choice. YOUR file server is not our problem. Because if/when Windows has updated your PC to create SMBv2+ only connections, that is not Kodi's doing.
(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: I am an extremely unhappy camper with whomever upgraded this app to 19 and in my opinion FAILED miserably in rolling out a working version.
Certain things have changed, and apparently you didn't get the memo about the SMB changes. Fixing all "issues" includes you making changes to your (network) setup.
Glad in a way to read this , I had no idea there were issues with SMB and matrix. I spent a few hours yesterday trying and wondering why it took so long for kodi on my shield tuo populate my library from a drive connected to an M1 mac mini. then when it finally finished scanning , no artwork showed up and none of the 460 movie play . Thank god for plexkodiconnect , saved my arse.
Kodi has evolved; if you had of participated in the forum and discussions, I wouldn't have to be writing this missive. All changes were done with acceptance from contributors, and 'this' being your first post it's likely you have contributed zilch, nadda, other than to make random dispersion and incorrectly point. Let's just say a large selection of users prefer software that keeps in tune with new hardware available.
(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: Many have complained about it , but nothing has been done about it that I can see so
Yes, obviously you didn't help, volunteer, contribute; as Kodi is a community driven project; it appears you have been absent in that community. Team Kodi offers satisfaction or your money back, just leave us your bank details here.
(2021-04-13, 12:19)Iceman88888 Wrote: I am an extremely unhappy camper
Let's alter the perspective, dig in and change the code, and fix your issues, or change your campsite...... the onus is on you.
I think the KODI team should give this guy a refund for all the money he spent on the app.
No it's not just you. I have several kodi systems that I customized, I put a great deal of effort into optimizing everything, on a specific skin, with specific add-ons. I gave these devices to close family members and friends as gifts. In several of their homes they have a primary Kodi "server" that allows tv's throughout their homes to stream media via SMB.

Kodi updates roared down stream through google onto google tv's and broke nearly everything.

I am disgusted.

Simply disgusted.

I am now looking for any other software I can find to build out my home media servers, because the utter disregard for the users the developers of Kodi has makes it to much work, and frankly I do this for a hobby to enjoy and I don't need to waste another moment configuring software and hardware just to have selfish, ignorant, self involved idiots take a poop on it just because they can.

Kodi is being ruined by fools. Simple as that.

Continuous improvement does not = utter disregard for backward compatibility.

Kodi needs grown ups leading the dev or they will find most of their users give them the finger an move on.

IMHO YMMV

DigDog
@digdog 

With ten messages under your belt., mostly support issues; contributions = nada, helping out others = nada,  I hardly entertain your thoughts.
(2021-04-23, 09:12)digdog Wrote: frankly I do this for a hobby
This statement is suspect, given the lack of community presence & contributions, paralleled with Kodi 'gifts', and suggesting you don't want to 'waste another moment' with large collections.  The words "Simply disgusted" are applicable to 'frankly' and his automated downloads.
lot of angry people today....
personally I think it's a new covid variant making people lose their cool.
Kodi 19 is working great here on Linux with OS mounted NFS 4.1 shares. Smile
(2021-04-23, 18:38)sparklyballs Wrote: I think it's a new covid variant making people lose their cool.
It's that new dual variant, [no new equipment] + [no money to buy] mix it all up with backward comparability and no back-up and you have a pandemic.

We were all warned years ago. I got my Kodi Matrix shot a few months ago, and haven't looked back.
As a long time Kodi user (registered here since 2008) I have consistently used two simple solutions to almost all of these issues (which happen every year...).

* I have automatic updates turned OFF - in Kodi, as well as in any other device that might perform some type of unwanted update without my prior knowledge that would materially affect my Kodi setup (so that mostly means mostly my Android and LibreElec devices).

* I WAIT some months until everything has settled down in Kodi land before doing major updates. By then there is normally a further bug fix release from Kodi itself, and the Addon and Skin developers have caught up too.

It's really that easy - just do nothing, just do not take any major updates immediately, and just keep using Kodi as normal.

Just because a new version of Kodi has been released doesn't mean that your existing version and setup magically stops working...

Of course it's also prudent to make backups too. In general I find that my other devices are my backups because I don't make major changes on all my devices at once. When such changes are necessary I go slowly, updating one device and using it as a test platform until everything is running smoothly again and thereafter the other devices can be updated too. That's just common sense though right?

Following these simple steps is easy, low stress, and preserves my working setups that are in constant daily use until I'm ready to update everything Nod

PS: A big thanks to all the Kodi developers, Addon developers, Skin Developers, Forum Moderators and Helpers Angel

Where would we all be without you... (and without your voluntary contributions of that most precious personal resource - time)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2021-04-23, 09:12)digdog Wrote: No it's not just you. I have several kodi systems that I customized, I put a great deal of effort into optimizing everything, on a specific skin, with specific add-ons. I gave these devices to close family members and friends as gifts. In several of their homes they have a primary Kodi "server" that allows tv's throughout their homes to stream media via SMB.

Kodi updates roared down stream through google onto google tv's and broke nearly everything.

I am disgusted.

Simply disgusted.

I am now looking for any other software I can find to build out my home media servers, because the utter disregard for the users the developers of Kodi has makes it to much work, and frankly I do this for a hobby to enjoy and I don't need to waste another moment configuring software and hardware just to have selfish, ignorant, self involved idiots take a poop on it just because they can.

Kodi is being ruined by fools. Simple as that.

Continuous improvement does not = utter disregard for backward compatibility.

Kodi needs grown ups leading the dev or they will find most of their users give them the finger an move on.

IMHO YMMV

DigDog
In my humble opinion yould should be grateful that such a wonderfull piece of software is available for free and being developed further by talented people in their free time and with an active community (forum). An attitude on this forum that appreciates this is expected in return.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 is it just me?0