Kodi 19 crashes when switching from home screen on new FIreOS 7.2.3.4
Hi, Using Kodi 19 on a fireTV 4K and now a new FireTV Cube (for the extra storage). Works just great.

But after the new FireTV update to 7.2.3.4 (apart from the strange new ugly UI), Kodi crashes when switching from  FireTV main screen to a suspended Kodi.

Start Kodi
Press home button on FireTV to go to FireTV menu
Select Kodi again -> black screen a bit, then returns to FireTV menu
Select Kodi -> Kodi restarts completely with matrix loading screen.

I have never seen this before the FireTV update..

regards,
Jesper
(2021-04-15, 11:09)jjames55 Wrote: Hi, Using Kodi 19 on a fireTV 4K and now a new FireTV Cube (for the extra storage). Works just great.

But after the new FireTV update to 7.2.3.4 (apart from the strange new ugly UI), Kodi crashes when switching from  FireTV main screen to a suspended Kodi.

Start Kodi

regards,
Jesper
Hello,

I have quite the same thing (Fire TV Cube v7.2.3.4):
Cube TV screen on Menu
Select Kodi -> black screen then few seconds after Cube TV menu again
reSelect Kodi -> Kodi starts then works fine

P.S : I'm using Kodi v18.9 Leia because Kodi v19 Matrix doesn't work at all (Impossible to retrieve my USB Hard Drive). This version 19 is a real mess...

P.S2 : @jjames55 : you tell extra storage for the cube. Do you speak of internal storage or external one. In the second case, were you able to connect a USB storage to the cube and MAKE IT WORK ? Thanks
I’m having this identical problem. Same hardware and versions. Kodi will eventually crash and then will work. So, it’s kind of usable but annoying.

(2021-04-15, 11:09)jjames55 Wrote: Hi, Using Kodi 19 on a fireTV 4K and now a new FireTV Cube (for the extra storage). Works just great.

Start Kodi

regards,
Jesper
(2021-04-16, 10:01)phantomas13 Wrote:

Start Kodi

regards,
Jesper
Hello,

I have quite the same thing (Fire TV Cube v7.2.3.4):
Cube TV screen on Menu
Select Kodi -> black screen then few seconds after Cube TV menu again
reSelect Kodi -> Kodi starts then works fine

P.S : I'm using Kodi v18.9 Leia because Kodi v19 Matrix doesn't work at all (Impossible to retrieve my USB Hard Drive). This version 19 is a real mess...

P.S2 : @jjames55 : you tell extra storage for the cube. Do you speak of internal storage or external one. In the second case, were you able to connect a USB storage to the cube and MAKE IT WORK ? Thanks

I had a 4k stick but kodi almost used up all the storage, so I offloaded it to a USB stick (Kodi 18.9). Worked like a charm, a tiny bit slower. But when I put on Kodi 19 it was a slow mess no matter what I did. The cube has so much more storage it will run it all internally and really speedy.
(2021-04-16, 19:19)mdedmon Wrote: I’m having this identical problem. Same hardware and versions. Kodi will eventually crash and then will work. So, it’s kind of usable but annoying.

Start Kodi

regards,
Jesper

Does anyone know if this issue was resolved in the 19.1 released today? I don't see any mention of it in the bug fixes/issues that are listed with the release.
Hi - There is a bug report for this here:  18310 (GH issue) But, I don't know that it's gotten any attention. I updated with my experience and added a link to this forum thread.
Nothing much happens - same problem on 19.3 A shame
(2021-04-15, 11:09)jjames55 Wrote: I have never seen this before the FireTV update..
So just like the latest Nvidia Shield update, we are to fix an OS issue?

(2022-02-11, 15:22)jjames55 Wrote: A shame
Yep, that will surely motivate us.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide a full Debug log (wiki) | Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | VPN policy (wiki)
I did not mens it that way. I was just iterating that the issue perists. I can’t tell wether it’s a firetv bug, changed interface behavior or whatever.

Kodi was the only app experiencing this issue after the upgrade, and still is, it kind of works after crash and restart.

This fortunately does not prevent one from using it, just not as smooth as just switching back and forth to it.
… and “not kind of works” - it works perfectly after restart, no other issues at all.
Hi All,
Just pinging this discussion to see if there is any movement on correcting this problem? I'm kinda tired of dealing with this. I've been playing with Plex as an alternative and don't love it, but would like something that works.
I’ve been having the same/similar issue on my Fire TV 4K Max (and previously with the Fire Tv 4K). I click on Kodi, and it immediately crashes back to home. If I go to manage installed applications in settings, go to Kodi, force stop and clear cache, it opens perfectly. This has been happening for some time now, and doing a clean install does nothing to fix it.
I realise this can be annoying but it is likely something to do with the way Android suspends apps that are in the background that upsets Kodi in some way. Unfortunately we are without dedicated Android developers at this present time so it is likely issues like this will persist until we get someone on board with a detailed expertise in the intricacies of the Android operating system.

Of course they simplest solution to the problem is to exit Kodi in the correct way (power ---> exit) so that it closes gracefully. Not a real hardship.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 crashes when switching from home screen on new FIreOS 7.2.3.40
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.