• 7(current)
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares
(2023-11-25, 01:42)pucknell Wrote: as for mounting via Shield vs mounting vis Kodi, one small issue i found wth the Shield method (which increases speeds by a lot)  is that Kodi could scan/see the folders, but not the content. Found this fix and it is now working 100%.
- Nvidia Shield / settings / Apps / Kodi / Permissions / Files and media / Allow all the time

But..i just found another issue. When i try and export library, Kodi doesn't seem to have write abilities. Unable to write to folder is the warning i get. Doh.

Whether uPNP is more or less secure than SMB depends upon your setup.   With the sharing solution I use, I believe uPnP is more secure than SMB and SMB shares are often not necessary.  in my setup uPnP is used simply for discovery and the centralized server manage which uPnP endpoints (i.e. Kodi, nonKodi etc..) can access the server and once they have access, it is all over HTTP with centralized permissions.  SMB may or may not be needed depending upon where the underlying media is located (i.e. on the server or not) but even when it is accessed via SMB, only the server accesses the SMB share vs. each client. 

IMHO that is more secure and I don't deal with any Kodi SMB to media sharing config issues.  I realize the solution I use won't work for everyone.  I was simply commenting on the protocol security discussion.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Will Kodi interface fine with this server system by network? Is this program free?
(2023-12-10, 15:24)carlmart Wrote: Will Kodi interface fine with this server system by network? Is this program free?

Kodi can access a Mezzmo server via HTTP natively as a UPnP source or better with the Mezzmo Kodi addon, which provides tons of additional features over native usage.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon is free, like all Kodi addons.  I author it and push out updates regularly.  Mezzmo itself has a free and a paid version which adds some additional features for a small cost. 

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install the server on my PC and what should I do on my Kodi units?
(2023-12-10, 21:44)carlmart Wrote: Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install the server on my PC and what should I do on my Kodi units?

This Wiki page should help. 

Jeff
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares0