The challenge with the special charakters
Many Artist tend to "Creative" Album names. Not bad per se but i got the impression, that Kodi has some challenges with special signs, either in folder names or Album Names.

My database is set up as follows:
NAS/music/artist/album

Artist and Album Folder names correspond to the name on TheAudioDB.org. This applies to the tags in the flac files as well.

Latest Problem: ...´Til We Meet Again from Norah Jones. Not imported at all after refreshing. Same applies to the ...Featuring Norah Jones Album.

Is this a problem with the folder names? Is there any creative approach how to get such Albums into the Library?
Have you got a log file showing you trying to scan those albums?  Kodi doesn't really care about directory names when it builds the music library, it figures out the tracks for an album from the embedded tags, not the directory.  However, it's possible that the directory names are causing the scanner to skip over them.  A proper debug log (wiki) showing you trying to scan them into your library might show what is happening.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Any folder or file name beging with "." is consdered to be hidden by Kodi, so "...´Til We Meet Again" will be skipped in the scanning process because of that. Sometimes it can be very useful to be able to add "." to a name to get is skipped.

But there is no need to match the name of the folder to the name of the album at all, unlike video Kodi does not parse music folder or file names to get information about music but uses the metadata embedded in the file. So simply rename that folder "Til We Meet Again" or anything else you like, and it will be scanned correctly.
(2021-04-18, 13:12)black_eagle Wrote: Have you got a log file showing you trying to scan those albums?  Kodi doesn't really care about directory names when it builds the music library, it figures out the tracks for an album from the embedded tags, not the directory.  However, it's possible that the directory names are causing the scanner to skip over them.  A proper debug log (wiki) showing you trying to scan them into your library might show what is happening.

Hi black_eagle!
I was able to create the log. But could you help me how to share it using http://paste.kodi.tv? Not fully sure how to use the website that this is linking to...
@Reelyator don't worry about a log, it will be the "." at the beginning of the folder name that is why that folder is skipped.
(2021-04-19, 09:00)DaveBlake Wrote: Any folder or file name beging with "." is consdered to be hidden by Kodi,....
Thank you DaveBlake!
That explains it!  I usually tend to avoid special charakters in file- or folder-names. But later i realized that kodi creates duplicated folders during export when the folder with the flac files is unequal to the album name. After that i went over to name the folders EXACTLY like the album. Now this leads us to the problem with the special charakters from this thread....
(2021-04-19, 10:35)Reelyator Wrote: But later i realized that kodi creates duplicated folders during export when the folder with the flac files is unequal to the album name.
I think you are confusing things with what video does. Export of music does NOT create any folders using album name, it either creates a single file with data for many things or album.nfo files alongside the music files (proving there is a unique folder for every album).

Or are you using some addon?
(2021-04-19, 15:16)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2021-04-19, 10:35)Reelyator Wrote: But later i realized that kodi creates duplicated folders during export when the folder with the flac files is unequal to the album name.
I think you are confusing things with what video does...

...i do not think so. If i remember correctly the Kodi is asking if you wish to export to one sigle folder or into individual folders. I took the second route as i wanted to have alll relevant files in the folder of the corresponding album/artist. This led to a huge amound of duplicates:

E. g. The Album "Back to Black" with the flac files in a folder back_to_black. After Export i had another flder named "Back to Black" just with the folder.jpg an the nfo file in it.

I would have preferred if Kodi exports into the same folder like the flac files. Unfortunately i see no option how to achieve this.
You have 4 choices of export destination  a) single file, b) library folders, c) separate files for each item, d) artist folders only

a) Single file
This is a great way to back up your music data that is not embedded in the music files themselves e.g. scraped artist and album information, and song playback history. You can also use it to transfer this data from one installation to another.

b) Library folders
The album.nfo will land in the album folder (if there is one, it is not compusory that msuic files are arranged in album folders) and the artist.nfo will land in an artist folder (named exactly as the artist is named plus part of the mbid if name is not unique) in the nominated Artist Information Folder.  If you have not nominated an Artist Information Folder then this will prompt you to do so.

c) Separate files for each item
You specify destination folder and within that artist folders (named exactly as the artist is named plus part of the mbid if name is not unique) are created if they don't already exist. The artist.nfo will land in each artist folder and the album.nfo will go onto a folder with the album titile under the artist folder of the first album artist (could be more than one).

d) Artist folders only
This is a utility to create empty artist subfolders in the nominated Artist Information Folder. Several reasons a user may want to do this, one is a quick way to create subfolders with the correct names or to see what would be created if b) or c) was done.

Users have asked why doesn't it just do what it used to do (v17 and below) and take the common folder above all the album folders for albums by that artist as the artist folder? Well that approach is over simplistic and fatally flawed, it often resulted in odd art attached to the wrong artist and difficult to locate the cause. It also limited local art and NFO to only album artists not those that appear only on compilation albums or as guest appearences, and different artists with the same name could also not be accomdated. Finally is also imposed limited folder layouts on users, rather than allowing them to gather their music in a natural way for them, e.g. put the kids or party music separately from their main music etc.

Hence the introduction of the Artist Information Folder - a nominated folder with unique subfolders for all artists. It is easiest to place it separately from your music source folders, which can have any layout you like with many sources (and the same artists in several places). However if you have only one music folder you can nomiate that as the AIF but it has consequnces. It will use exact artist names as artist subfolders directly beneath the AIF, these may or may not match what you have.

It is common to have music in some kind of  <artist>/<album> folder layout, which is what I assume you have. Perhaps with your collection it has been possible to have a unique folder for every albumartist that contains all the music by that artist and only that artist, that you have no artists with the same name, no collaboration albums, are only interested in local art for album artists, and have no desire to arrange your music files by some other criteria. I would still suggest you consider having a separate Artist Information Folder from your music folders.

But long explanation over, let's see if I can find a way to get you want you want without too much pain.

You want album.nfo to go to the album folders (however you have named them) alongside the music files, use export b) to library folders. This will demand you nominate an  AIF, so enter one. If all your music is in correctly named artist subfolders under one folder then you could use that as AIF. If you want to see what folder names it expects then nominate somewhere else as a test and use d) and see what you get.

I guess the problem is that you understandably have continued using "Spearate files" export c) because that is the option you would have used before, rather than use to library folders and AIF. I really need to get a guide written one day.
(2021-04-22, 11:59)DaveBlake Wrote: ,,,, I would still suggest you consider having a separate Artist Information Folder from your music folders.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive information! Very helpfull!!

My Music-DB is structured as follows:
NAS/music/artist/album/xyz.flac...

I have set NAS/music as path for the artist information because i was under the impression that then all artist information goes into the artist folder (artist folder name = artist name).
Is that not correct? What would be the benefit of creating a separate Artist Information Folder??
(2021-04-22, 17:26)Reelyator Wrote: My Music-DB is structured as follows:
NAS/music/artist/album/xyz.flac...

I have set NAS/music as path for the artist information because i was under the impression that then all artist information goes into the artist folder (artist folder name = artist name).
Is that not correct?
It is one way of setting things up, and you may continue to be perfectly happy with it.
However with that AIF setting you will have to ensure:
  • The artist folder name exactly matches the artist name
  • All music by an artist is under that artist folder folder and nowhere else.
  • Only music by that artist is under that folder, no albums by more than one album artist.
  • All artist names are unique (if you tag music files with mbids then Kodi will handle artists with the same name as separate individuals).
  • You limit yourself to only one music source.
Maybe that is easy with your music collection, and if so then great.
And remember that export to Library Folders is the option you want.

But beware, say you have scraped additional info and art for song artists (those appearing only on compilation albums or making guest appearences on albums by other people but not having albums credited) or even other performers. If you export nfo and artwork for them, then it will create artist folders for them mixed among all your original album artist folders containing music. Not everyone is happy to have that and again that is one reason for export options c) and d), to see what could happen without touching your music folders.

(2021-04-22, 17:26)Reelyator Wrote: What would be the benefit of creating a separate Artist Information Folder??
Having an AIF separate form any folders you may have used to organise your music files means:
  • You can arrange your music files in any way you like, naming the folders anything you like, anything that is meaningful to you. That may still mean you have some kind of folders for music by artist, but you do not have to be precise.
  • You can have multiple music sources with music by the same artist in many of them. Filtering by music source (the location of the music files) supports lots of different uses e.g. split the kids music from yours (well you could have artists you both like), or put your classical music separate from your pop (artists cross genres), the why-did-I-buy-this stuff off on a separate source etc.
  • You can have artists with the same name in your library e.g. John Williams the gutarist and the Star Wars composer
  • You can have collaboration albums - those by more than one artist e.g. "Rising Sand" by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss. If you have albums by Robert Plant, and more by Alison Krauss then there is no unique way to put all the music by an artist and only that artist into a folder.
  • Art and NFO for song artists and other performers (artists that are not album artists) does not have to clutter up your music collection folders.
Right now your music collection may not have duplicately named artists, collaborations or any reason to use multiple sources, but a separate AIF means that you are future-proofed for such things being added to your collection one day.

Also a final note for other readers: none of this matters at all unless you want to use local artwork and NFO files, or export remotely scraped information and artwork to store locally. Kodi can build a music library from a totally flat folder layout of correctly tagged music files (although that would be tough to manage as a human), the file and folder names or arrangement do not matter to that process.
(2021-04-19, 10:35)DaveBlake Wrote: @Reelyator don't worry about a log, it will be the "." at the beginning of the folder name that is why that folder is skipped.

At long last I now know why Phil Collins' ...But Seriously would never scan. Though I never really cared enough to track down the answer. Stumbling across it years later is my usual method.
(2021-04-23, 16:29)burcs Wrote:
(2021-04-19, 10:35)DaveBlake Wrote:  

At long last I now know why Phil Collins' ...But Seriously would never scan. Though I never really cared enough to track down the answer. Stumbling across it years later is my usual method.
...welcome to the club!

But still strange that "...Featuring Norah Jones" is not imported. Even after i renamed the folder to "Featuring Norah Jones".
(2021-04-29, 16:23)Reelyator Wrote: But still strange that "...Featuring Norah Jones" is not imported. Even after i renamed the folder to "Featuring Norah Jones".
Ok, then you are going to need to provide a debug log.

Restart Kodi. Turn on debugging. View Music > Files and navigate within your music source(s) down to that folder (or the one immediately above it), and from the context menu select "Scan to Library". When asked if you want to rescan unchanged files (I can't remember the exact wording) say yes. Once done upload the Kodi.log file to a past site and post a link here.
(2021-04-29, 16:23)Reelyator Wrote: But still strange that "...Featuring Norah Jones" is not imported. Even after i renamed the folder to "Featuring Norah Jones".

Just looking it up I don't see an album for her by that name. There's a ...Featuring (2010), though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The challenge with the special charakters0