Kodi crashes when attempting to browse directory with videos of “multiplexed MPEG-1/2
THIS THREAD IS NOW SUPERCEDE BY THE FOLLOWING THREAD:
> SAMPLE file available for replicating Kodi crash when browsing directory!

THIS THREAD IS MISLEADINGLY TITLED SINCE THE PROBLEM IS NOT LIMITED TO “multiplexed MPEG-1/2” files.

-- ORIGINAL THREAD FOLLOWS

I am running the latest stable Kodi v19.0 Matrix [Downloaded today, 2021.04.21] on Mac OS X 10.14.6.
This problem has existed also on prior beta versions of Kodi 19.0 as well but only now did I bother to troubleshoot and have found a workaround.

WORKAROUND

Open the parent directory in Finder window and make sure the column "Kind" is visible.
Remove any files where the "Kind" property is “multiplexed MPEG-1/2”.
The problem only seems to happen when a file of Kind “multiplexed MPEG-1/2” is present in the directory you are trying to navigate into.

I do not wish to create a debug log or upload to pastebin, as required to report a bug but would be happy to upload one of my problem files for support staff to try and replicate this problem.
Before flaming me for disregarding "requirements" here. I have tried to discuss this issue before, to no avail: posting my personal system debug logs to a public site compromises one's privacy: the Kodi team should respect the privacy of users who want to help fix problems by simply offering an internal form for pasting debug data that would go DIRECTLY to Kodi support, rather than through public sites like pastebin, etc.

TROUBLESHOOTING

These are the things that I have tried so far to diagnose / rule out possible causes and have lead me to the conclusion that filetype is the issue.

> I changed file name to x. No change. Still crashes.
> I change file extension from .mpg to .mpg.avi. No change.
> I changed problem file in alphabetical directory order by adding good files before or after the problem file in the directory name sort. No change.
> I moved the file from location on a smb shared directory to a local directory.
No change: Kodi still crashes when navigating to the local directory on MacOS “Downloads” folder.
> I disabled "Extract thumbnails from video files" in Kodi settings and restarted Kodi. No change. Still crashes.
UPDATE

I tried deleting addons since this was recommended in another thread.
I cannot delete YouTube addon - can't even disable it. It gives the message:
Quote:YouTube is used by the following installed add-on(s):
m7lib
This add-on can't be uninstalled.
I could not find any add-on named "m7lib" in Kodi add-ons list, however, I searched my Library folder in the Finder on "m7lib" and found this:
/Users/greg/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/script.module.m7lib/lib/m7lib.py

So I deleted the entire directory: /Users/greg/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/script.module.m7lib/
Restarted Kodi with only NPR and maybe a couple of addons from Kodi Team (which cannot be uninstalled).
No change. Still crashes same as before
UPDATE

This problem is not limited to “multiplexed MPEG-1/2" type files.
I used VLC to convert from “multiplexed MPEG-1/2" to mp4 and the crash still happens.
So, it must be something deeper in the data structure which Kodi is choking on.

At this point, I have identified 6 files which cause the crash.
All of these problem files appear to be captures from Spanish TV which I have downloaded from youtube.

I will continue to study this by searching for other problem files.
(2021-04-21, 23:20)gkeraunen Wrote: I do not wish to create a debug log or upload to pastebin, as required to report a bug

Well, let's keep it simple then: no debug log = no problems for us to solve. It's like asking someone to fix your car engine but it's not allowed to open the hood/bonnet.

I am kinda though curious which part(s) of the kodi.log file you find so privacy-related. Passwords are already filtered, info with a username that you could edit/censor yourself (but you didn't) as well as change any movie filenames. Log files on paste.kodi.tv are wiped after some 60 days. So what's left that could be so annoying?

Privacy or not, Kodi is not part of some conspiracy pact or any state secret. We also have no crystal ball to wirelessly check on your Kodi setup, so considering the options I'm afraid this is the extend of our support.
(2021-04-22, 08:55)Klojum Wrote: Well, let's keep it simple then: no debug log = no problems for us to solve. It's like asking someone to fix your car engine but it's not allowed to open the hood/bonnet.

This is a community forum. We are (most of us) here to help each other. You are not obligated. Have a nice day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes when attempting to browse directory with videos of “multiplexed MPEG-1/20