SAMPLE file available for replicating Kodi crash when browsing directory!
Your debug log (wiki) please. Preferably not given via a website deemed dangerous as you did before.
(2021-05-12, 07:52)Klojum Wrote: Your debug log (wiki) please. Preferably not given via a website deemed dangerous as you did before.

Thank you Klojum for the reply.

I hate to say what follows - it is not directed to you, personally, but to the hire-ups who have allowed so many "volunteers" like you to operate in a manner which discourages those of us underlings who are not even asking for help, but trying to contribute to an understanding of why Kodi sometimes fails.
I will keep my response brief:

0) You allege that I am "slamming my fists on the table" demanding support.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
I am not even asking for support, only how to get the ball moving in actually document this bug properly so that development can address it, as they see fit.

1) The fact that you are a "volunteer" and I am not seems central to your gripe.
I think this is what most people would call "virute signalling" on your part.
Yet the fact that I was a paid QA guy and you are unpaid should tell us all something about the value both of us add to product.

2) Shaming me for mentioning my work history is a red herring - irrelevant to the subject at hand: documentation of a problem with Kodi and problems with Kodi support and quality assurance staff and methods.

3) You suggest that Kodi team could use a good QA guy like me...
Do you really think that your style would recruit anyone of merit to the Kodi team?

4) You suggest that I am lording my work history with Apple over volunteers like you, working for Kodi, given the fact that I worked for 20 years in profitable companies... doing what?

A) Being very, very grateful for any and every problem report from a user. Any user. No matter their ability or inability to do things the way I think they should.

B) Never, ever doing - as you do - in shaming them for submitting a debug log to through an allegedly "dangerous" web site, even though Kodi's own debug log instructions told me that I could use whatever web site I wanted to. And I did exactly that.

5) You suggest that I should resubmit another log file by using a different intermediary when you don't tell me if my prior debug data was even read by anyone at Kodi Team.

I ask you this: why should I jump through your hoops like a dancing bear when you give me absolutely no reason to believe that anyone at Kodi Team has read my debug log or has been injured in any way by the method I used to post it.
(2021-05-14, 05:06)gkeraunen Wrote: I ask you this: why should I jump through your hoops like a dancing bear when you give me absolutely no reason to believe that anyone at Kodi Team has read my debug log or has been injured in any way by the method I used to post it.

If my web browser informs me that your 'method 1' website can be dangerous to my computer's health, then I will not open that web page. I can imagine others will react the same way. As simple as that. Kodi has its own, safe, paste service mentioned in bold red letters at the bottom of every opened forum thread. Uploaded contents is removed after some 60 days. Yet you chose to use a different paste service website that apparently has a bad reputation.

Jump trough hoops..? You alone have a problem with some video file, and now stating I am not even asking for support, because .. you just want to improve Kodi's "Q&A handling"? You're now running a new Kodi version (19.1 vs 19.0), internal handling of problem can have changed, hence the request for a new log file. Just to be on the safe side.

Moreover, the hoops and way that you are having us go through before we get new tech/log information is proving to be demotivating and demoralizing. If this were the common way that most of our users would communicate with us, I'm pretty sure the whole Kodi project would have stopped a long time ago.

There is also only so much a developer can do when relying on an external application that Kodi uses (=ffmpeg). There is no 100% foolproof way to get around all read/handling errors, that would take way too much extra time and energy. Software is never tested 100% on all possible failures, unless perhaps you work in NASA's space programs. Even in banking software, testing only touches up to some 90-95% of the possible outcome depending on the application (I've been there).

So, my final suggestion (as a non-developer) on all this: don't watch that problem video anymore with Kodi.
(2021-05-14, 08:14)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-05-14, 05:06)gkeraunen Wrote: I ask you this: why should I jump through your hoops like a dancing bear when you give me absolutely no reason to believe that anyone at Kodi Team has read my debug log or has been injured in any way by the method I used to post it.

If my web browser informs me that your 'method 1' website can be dangerous to my computer's health, then I will not open that web page. I can imagine others will react the same way. As simple as that. Kodi has its own, safe, paste service mentioned in bold red letters at the bottom of every opened forum thread. Uploaded contents is removed after some 60 days. Yet you chose to use a different paste service website that apparently has a bad reputation.

Jump trough hoops..? You alone have a problem with some video file, and now stating I am not even asking for support, because .. you just want to improve Kodi's "Q&A handling"? You're now running a new Kodi version (19.1 vs 19.0), internal handling of problem can have changed, hence the request for a new log file. Just to be on the safe side.

Moreover, the hoops and way that you are having us go through before we get new tech/log information is proving to be demotivating and demoralizing. If this were the common way that most of our users would communicate with us, I'm pretty sure the whole Kodi project would have stopped a long time ago.

There is also only so much a developer can do when relying on an external application that Kodi uses (=ffmpeg). There is no 100% foolproof way to get around all read/handling errors, that would take way too much extra time and energy. Software is never tested 100% on all possible failures, unless perhaps you work in NASA's space programs. Even in banking software, testing only touches up to some 90-95% of the possible outcome depending on the application (I've been there).

So, my final suggestion (as a non-developer) on all this: don't watch that problem video anymore with Kodi.
So your only answer is: don't do that which causes Kodi to crash.
Amen.
(2021-05-14, 13:07)gkeraunen Wrote: So your only answer is: don't do that which causes Kodi to crash.
Amen.

Wait a minute.
After having replied, I just noticed that I replied to a message that has been altered AFTER I replied to it.
Meaning that what one reads on Kodi.tv has no relevance to any type of reality.
Whatever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAMPLE file available for replicating Kodi crash when browsing directory!0