Solved How to properly scrape the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries ?
Hello,

I'm currently trying to scrape the 2 episodes of the 2003 Battlestar Galactica Miniseries and i can't get it to work. I successfully scraped the 4 seasons of the show but Kodi just doesn't recognize properly those two episodes.

As it seems to be a recurring problem, after a quick search i used methods i found on olders posts from this forum. I created a "Season 00" folder as it seems this folder is needed for special episodes. Then i tried the following naming :

Battlestar.Galactica.2003.S00E01.Miniseries (1)
Battlestar.Galactica.2003.S00E02.Miniseries (2)

along with several others namings that apparently worked in the past for other users. While the episodes are being recognized by Kodi, they aren't displayed properly as Kodi identifies them as 2006 special episodes, which aren't the correct ones.

How should i name those to be properly identified by Kodi ? I'm using the latest Matrix release.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thread moved to TV scraper support.

Presuming you mean this series and you're using the TMDB scraper (the standard for a new Matrix install) then you need to label the show folder name as Battlestar Galactica (2003) and the two episodes have to contain S01E01 and S01E02 (so Battlestar Galactica S01E01 for example).

The TMDB treat the miniseries as a different show from the main series (which is Battlestar Galactica (2004) ).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-04-27, 15:03)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to TV scraper support.

Presuming you mean this series and you're using the TMDB scraper (the standard for a new Matrix install) then you need to label the show folder name as Battlestar Galactica (2003) and the two episodes have to contain S01E01 and S01E02 (so Battlestar Galactica S01E01 for example).

The TMDB treat the miniseries as a different show from the main series (which is Battlestar Galactica (2004) ).

Thanks for moving my thread to the appropriate section.

I'm using the TVDB scraper. I'm going to try your method to see if it works, thanks.
With TVDB same, follow the naming as written here under Specials.

Cheers
Tom
OK for TVDB it's a bit different.

There the two are classed as part of the main series, as specials (part 1 and part 2).

So the filenames are indeed S00E01 and S00E02, and the show's folder name is Battlestar Galactica (2003).

For example, if you make the Battlestar Galactica (2003) folder, then a sub-folder Specials and put Battlestar Galactica S00E01 - Miniseries Part 1.mp4 and Battlestar Galactica S00E02 - Miniseries Part 2.mp4 in that it should work (swap .mp4 for .mkv or whatever format your files are in).

The two key points are the shows root folder name (Battlestar Galactica (2003)) needs to be correct, and the episode name needs to contain S00E01 and S00E02 respectively for the two parts. Everything else (sub-folders and the rest of the episode name) are entirely optional, although should not of course be something that would confuse the scraper.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-04-27, 16:40)DarrenHill Wrote: OK for TVDB it's a bit different.

There the two are classed as part of the main series, as specials (part 1 and part 2).

So the filenames are indeed S00E01 and S00E02, and the show's folder name is Battlestar Galactica (2003).

For example, if you make the Battlestar Galactica (2003) folder, then a sub-folder Specials and put Battlestar Galactica S00E01 - Miniseries Part 1.mp4 and Battlestar Galactica S00E02 - Miniseries Part 2.mp4 in that it should work (swap .mp4 for .mkv or whatever format your files are in).

The two key points are the shows root folder name (Battlestar Galactica (2003)) needs to be correct, and the episode name needs to contain S00E01 and S00E02 respectively for the two parts. Everything else (sub-folders and the rest of the episode name) are entirely optional, although should not of course be something that would confuse the scraper.

Thanks for your assistance. Do i need to create two folders, one for the 2003 miniseries and another one for the 4 seasons of the 2004 show, or can i just put everything under the Battlestar Galactica (2003) folder ?
(2021-04-27, 17:09)Vonsid83 Wrote:
(2021-04-27, 16:40)DarrenHill Wrote:  
Thanks for your assistance. Do i need to create two folders, one for the 2003 miniseries and another one for the 4 seasons of the 2004 show, or can i just put everything under the Battlestar Galactica (2003) folder ?
You just need to create one root folder named Battlestar Galactica (2003).
Then create 5 sub folders within this root folder as follows:-
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Specials

The 2 part mini series goes into the special folder and the regular episode files into the relevant season folders. 
You can place everything into the root folder and not create any season or special folders, but things can get quite messy and confusing with the downloaded artwork files, episode fanart files and NFO files, so I personally always create season folders to keep everything tidy (and less confusing).

Rather oddly, I've just added the latest 2 episodes from Season 4 to my library which was broadcast here in the UK last Friday, which is why I thought I would comment on this post.
Hope this helps and clarifies.
Cheers
On a side note I have the Special folder in my collection named Season 00. My Naming is such Battlestar Galactica 00x01 bluray and Battlestar Galactica 00x02 bluray. This basically is saying the same thing that DarrenHill has said. Kodi picks up my specials without any problems. Picture is of my folder structure under main folder Battlestar Galactica (2003)
(2021-04-27, 17:09)Vonsid83 Wrote: Thanks for your assistance. Do i need to create two folders, one for the 2003 miniseries and another one for the 4 seasons of the 2004 show, or can i just put everything under the Battlestar Galactica (2003) folder ?

In addition to what @Dumyat says above (which is entirely correct), the simplest way to handle this is to look at the site for the scraper and see how they have things set up, and follow that guideline.

As you can see from the info given in this thread, TVDB and TMDB have different set-ups for the show, which unfortunately doesn't help users in getting their set-up correct (and if the user switches scrapers it becomes a complete nightmare).

In the case of TVDB, as you can see from their site they class the whole reboot show as one entity (Battlestar Galactica (2003)) and have the miniseries as part of that show, listed as two special episodes (S00E01 and S00E02). So the whole show goes under the same folder (with the individual seasons and the specials in sub-folders if you wish, although that is optional).

As I mentioned before, the only two items that are mandatory for TV shows are the top level folder name (so the scraper knows specifically which show you are talking about) and the SxxEyy part of the episode name for each individual episode (so the scraper can tie the specific episode to its metadata). It's good practice of course to use season/special sub-folders to keep everything clearer, and the episode namings should not contain additional stuff that may confuse the scraper (for example I wouldn't include the 2003 year in the episode name) but if you stick to that then you should be ok.

I would use (and indeed have used) exactly the folder/sub-folder structure that Dumyat mentions above, with the mini-series episodes and any other non-season specials put in the specials sub-folder and the 4 seasons in their relevant sub-folders too.

Kodi Blog Posts
So, here's the situation now. I renamed the show folder to "Battlestar Galactica (2003)". I created a new sub-folder inside alongside the 4 other seasons, named it "Specials" and dropped the 2 miniseries episodes inside, then re-scraped.

I then had 2 Battlestar Galactica folders on my Kodi interface : one with the 4 seasons, and another one with the two miniseries episodes + 2 others video files (i have no idea of how this happened, as the "Specials" folder only includes two files).

I then tried to remove the two BSG folders from the library, and to re-scrape in hope it would give me only one folder with all the show together. It seems it was a bad idea, as Kodi now doesn't want to re-scrape the 4 seasons : it only scrapes the two miniseries episodes and the two "extra" episodes which i had no idea where they come from.

Do you happen to know how i could force Kodi to re-scrape the 4 seasons ?

Sorry for the mess, i ripped and scraped 8 other of my TV shows, and never had any issue before that...
After a quick search it seems i have to use the "Clean Database" Kodi option. Will do that and try to re-scrape using the guidelines you all provided. Thanks again.
I ended up solving this, so i will explain how i did it because it seems this show is a recurring problem for a lot of Kodi users, so maybe my experience will help someone later. But first i'd like to thank all the posters in that thread that helped to lighten my headache Smile

So, i made two mistakes regarding that show : firstly, forget to add the year after Battlestar Galactica. This show has had several remakes, so Kodi needs to know which show it has to scrap. Secondly, i was convinced i was using the TVdb scraper, while i was in fact on the "TMDB for TV shows" scraper. I realized that while i was messing with Kodi settings, so of course i was naming files in an improper way and the TMDB scraper couldn't identify correctly the files. When you first set up Kodi, it gives you two scraper choices, which are pretty similar, and that's what got me confused and thinking i was on the TVdb tracker.

So for BSG with the TMDB tracker, you need to follow DarrenHill's guidelines. Create two folders, one named "Battlestar Galactica (2003)", and the other one "Battlestar Galactica (2004)". The first one will be for the 2 episodes of the miniseries, and the second for the full seasons of the show itself. The two episodes namings need to include S01E01 and S01E02, if you try it with S00 it will scrape unrelated stuff.
Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for coming back and wrapping it up with the summary.

Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-04-28, 18:30)Vonsid83 Wrote: So for BSG with the TMDB tracker, you need to follow DarrenHill's guidelines. Create two folders, one named "Battlestar Galactica (2003)", and the other one "Battlestar Galactica (2004)". The first one will be for the 2 episodes of the miniseries, and the second for the full seasons of the show itself.
If you end up with two series, but want to merge them into a single series, it is quite simple using nfo files. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Convert_movie_to_...e_TV_Shows
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-04-28, 22:17)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-04-28, 18:30)Vonsid83 Wrote: So for BSG with the TMDB tracker, you need to follow DarrenHill's guidelines. Create two folders, one named "Battlestar Galactica (2003)", and the other one "Battlestar Galactica (2004)". The first one will be for the 2 episodes of the miniseries, and the second for the full seasons of the show itself.
If you end up with two series, but want to merge them into a single series, it is quite simple using nfo files. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Convert_movie_to_...e_TV_Shows

As a matter of fact, i'm not really bothered by having the two shows, but the 2003 one doesn't come with any extra banner included (the default one being pretty ugly), what made me switch to the poster view for my shows. I wasn't aware you could merge both shows, so as i would happily go back to the banner view, i'm going to look into this. I've been using the basic player functions of Kodi for years but i'm pretty unexperienced with the media center functions so thank you for the link.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to properly scrape the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries ?0