• 3(current)
Release Kodi Matrix UWP Xbox v19.1 Preview
The HDR toggle code is here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/090350...1255-L1298

For HDR metadata is used other code path (D3D11) that is common code for both Windows x64 and UWP:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/96a794...1122-L1166
Hi,

Nice found for all these HDR infos!

First, i would like to say that i played approximately 60 more videos (1080p, 720p, 480p, ...) of all types (mpeg2, vob, mpeg4, ...) yesterday and this current "beta release" never crashed and played all my videos nicely.
The "auto-update" error on startup do not make sense for a UWP application. The UWP applications are auto-updated through microsoft store. Then perhaps we can do something about this error on startup.

Here are the informations asked about the HDR support problem.
It's probably my last post for this week-end. Will be able to provide future help next week-end.

All my following HDR tests use the same video as "Test #3 : 4K HEVC x265 HDR10 4gig video file"
Here are the logs and a screenshot
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am4la0djZrU4gQq3ZxZr...0?e=fH0UV6

kodi_testing_f11toggle_normalhdr_withouthdr_colorprofilswitch_manuallyset.log
f-11 switch did nothing (no toast notif appear, no settings change)
color profil switch did nothing (no toast notif appear, no settings change)
manual set the hdr to off and color profil to either 3d or ICC do not change anything visually from video playing

kodi_normalstartup_hdractivatedwithhdrtv_playinghdrmovie.log
hdr = on
all default settings

kodi_3testswithouthdr_in_sequence.log
1st video play = hdr off
2nd video play = hdr off and colour management activated with 3d lut file
3rd video play = hdr off and colour management activated with ICC Profile

kodi_normalstartup_hdractivatedwithhdrtv_playinghdrmovie_and_debugvideoinfos.log
hdr = on
all default settings
using "Alt+O" and saving screenshot
see screenshot

Note, outside these tests, i tested "f-11" button during video play and seem to restart the video without any visual changes.
Nothing seem to produce any effect on the video colors.

You can see the "Alt+O" result of the same video using Kovi v18 UWP on Windows10 with HDR support - my tv receive hdr infos (see "kodi_uwp_windows10_samevideowithhdrsupport" screenshot)
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, some settings and video used seems inadequate to draw clear conclusions:

2021-05-02 09:41:27.545 T:2012     INFO <general>: Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080   should be 3840x2160  (4K)

Video played "MyPersonalMovieTestNum3.mkv" seems not has HDR light metadata or ffmpeg not shows it:

ffmpeg[0x2563cd6f290X]:     Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 3840x1606 [SAR 1:1 DAR 1920:803], 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 24 tbc (default)

Despite being BT2020 and smpte2084

Tone mappings methods Hable and ACES Filmic not tested or does no work ¿?

F11 seems tested while in playing video and F11 only works from Kodi GUI  (if "Use display HDR capabilities" setting is enabled)

I also appreciate the effort and I know that it is not easy to do this type of test.

We will hope that someone else can provide more information.

At the moment I have the suspicion that Kodi does not use HDR even though it is activated. That is, it detects that the device is HDR capable but it is thought that it is NOT enabled (when it is).
Conclusions for now: 

HDR pass-through is NOT working.

Then is need disable "Use HDR display capabilities" in Kodi settings to obtain correct picture.

Next test:
Determine if new tone mapping methods are working (Hable and ACES)   Alt+F11 key to switch between  or video settings OSD 

(2021-05-02, 21:29)jogal Wrote: Conclusions for now: 

HDR pass-through is NOT working.

Then is need disable "Use HDR display capabilities" in Kodi settings to obtain correct picture.

Next test:
Determine if new tone mapping methods are working (Hable and ACES)   Alt+F11 key to switch between  or video settings OSD 

If i disable hdr, start video, i now have access to set "Tone mapping" from default "Reinhard" to "ACES Filmic". After that, the colors are now great for this video!
Alt+O and TV Signal Information say it's not HDR but the colors are displayed fine on my tv.

When i switch this setting value to the best one "ACES Filmic", i can reactive the HDR toggle at ON and the video play fine for the next times (keep my tone mapping change).

Even after Kodi restart, the next time i play this video, the "ACES Filmic" is applied because the same video play now with great colors (no more pale colors for this video).
Tried 3 others videos after applied these settings, everything look fine.

Nice workaround!
Even without "pure HDR", i can now play all my 4k videos with nice colors and nice results.
UWP Xbox v19.1 Preview3
Updated at 04-05-2021 (forked from Kodi Matrix v19.0).

Fixes HDR toggle logic and other fixes for UWP / Xbox.
This build should enable HDR passthrough on Xbox Series S / X.
If HDR is disabled on Xbox settings (or not supported) this build allow advanced tone mapping methods (Hable / ACES Filmic).

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Debug logs would be welcome

Have fun!
(2021-05-04, 22:44)jogal Wrote: UWP Xbox v19.1 Preview3
Updated at 04-05-2021 (forked from Kodi Matrix v19.0).

Fixes HDR toggle logic and other fixes for UWP / Xbox.
This build should enable HDR passthrough on Xbox Series S / X.
If HDR is disabled on Xbox settings (or not supported) this build allow advanced tone mapping methods (Hable / ACES Filmic).

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Debug logs would be welcome

Have fun!

Amazing 👏
Hopefully those better equipped than me can run some useful tests.
Unfortunately it doesn't work on Xbox yet (UWP Windows 10 only).
Worked on my dev kit but unfortunately HDR is still unavailable on Xbox. On the plus side it correctly hides the option to enable HDR and tone maps it to SDR.
Same result here.
The HDR toggle switch is no more present in kodi settings UI and, like previous versions, HDR infos are not sent to my tv in this latest version.
But, this latest version have a better behaviour for a "not active hdr tv". By default, we are now able to set Tone Mapping settings (hdr tone mapping workaround).

Logs on my side:
Display HDR capable is detected and Windows HDR switch is OFF
DX:: DeviceResources::IsHDRDisplayEnabled: Monitor is HDR capable although is NOT enabled.
DXVA:: CProcessorHD::InitProcessor: video processor supports HDR10.

But, with the great Kodi documentation, i'm now able to build and deploy some code change on my side (based on your current branch).
I tried some little things, but nothing fixed the HDR problem on my side at this moment.
For sure, i will continue to try some things on my side Smile

My next steps to "help Kodi" is to continue reading this thread, provide some testing help asked here, reading documentation here and trying some code change on my side.
Thx
Any updates please? 4k crashes aren't fun! 😁
(2021-04-28, 08:03)OldOne Wrote: can someone test the tvheadend client?

Last times i tried it crashed the whole xbox Series X and I fear to kill my xbox...

same problem here with Series S and tvhdeadend as enigma2, please resolve this thanks
I sideloaded this build on my XBOX One X and so far so good. Been streaming 4K up to 60gb (Biggest I have found so far) for the past 3 days
Wondering if there's any update
There is a bug stopper currently in Kodi 19.1 (not published yet to Microsoft Store) which prevent Xbox users to download and update AddOns.
I can confirm this bug is present on my side using latest Kodi 19.1 preview on Xbox Series X.

As far as i know, a fix must be provided for this issue to eventually publish a new version of Kodi for Win10 UWP and Xbox users.
I'm not sure if the discussed "Xbox memory issue" here is a Kodi Team priority for Xbox (the fix is not in the nightly builds).
I think the idea is to publish an up-to-date and working Kodi 19.x version to Xbox Users ASAP before starting the "slow approval process" for the "Xbox memory issue".
Someone can confirm?

I saw a lot a great code change for Xbox version of Kodi recently (last days).
Then, i can confirm it's not "dead" for Xbox users and Kodi Team work hard.
I'm very happy to see that Kodi Team have at least an active dev expert for UWP/Xbox Smile

Personally I'm a newbie currently learning Kodi and all the development process.
For HDR problem, I tried some minor code change to always force HDR (bypass all checkups) and disabled all SDR Tone Mapping logic on my Xbox without success.
For AddOn issue, I saw that the last working version of Kodi UWP seem to use TLS 1.2 to download AddOns and Kodi 19.1 use TLS 1.3 by default on Xbox. I forced TLS 1.2 on my Xbox but this doesn't fix the issue.

What i can confirm for Xbox Series X using latest Kodi 19.1 Nightly build and increasing the memory limit (running the app explicitly in Game mode or using the code fix requiring Microsoft approval):
- fix "4k videos play crashes" (Direct3d)
- fix "Milkdrop2 crashes" (Direct3d app with Kodi running in 4k)
- fix some "lags"
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix UWP Xbox v19.1 Preview0