Strong studdering when playing HD-Videos
Hi there,

after having used XbmC on 3 Xboxes (in 3 different rooms) for years, i am now more and more becoming a HD-whore. So i build myself a HTPC, and now the most amazing thing would be, if I could only use this amazing "best-of-all"-Frontends that it out there: XBMC :-)

I installed it, which worked pretty fine so far. I started up, set the screen to 1920x1080p, and then i immediately noticed the mouse being pretty laggy (moving is delayed pretty much).
When playing an 720p encoded file, the video studders strongly, the movie is not watchable. Same with 1080p codec. I set the screen to 1280x720, but nothing really changes.

I'm running XBMC on an Athlon X2 5000+ Dual Core with 2GB Ram and a 780-board with a Radeon 3200 on it. When playing the same videos with Zoomplayer and ffdshow, it runs perfectly smooth. A few 1080p videos might have a random studder, but using CoreAVC even these videos run perfectly.

So it's not the hardware, but what can it be then? I've read in the forum, that people say the internal player runs faster than other players. For me the player is completely unusable :-(

Is there anything i could have set up wrong, or is there anything i might try/do?

Help is much appreciated. I love this tool, and i have the highest respects of the people involved.

Thanks in advance,
Felias

p.s.: tomorrow i'm gonna install ubuntu on the maschine and try installing xbmc there... but i guess i'll stick to windows.
Read this thread. it should answer your questions:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34138
The-Boxhead Wrote:Read this thread. it should answer your questions:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34138

Thanks for the link, but I've read this thread already. I know that XBMC uses FFmpeg and it's own player, but i haven't read of any users that have a lower performance with XBMC than with another player and ffdshow. Like i said, with ffdshow (no CoreAVC) everything runs perfectly smooth, but with XMBC is judders a lot.

I mean it's a 2,6 Ghz DualCore, it should at least play 720p perfectly with XBMC from what i've read here.
Post a debug log. Your problem is probably the AMD/ATI device drivers, have you updated them? Do a search for "ATI" in this forum.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
yeah it might be your video card because i run the same x2 5000+(black edition) and 2 gigs of ram but with a 9600gt and i can play back 720p fine but 1080p has little hiccups.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strong studdering when playing HD-Videos0