Kodi on Android TV
Hi guys
I've been using Kodi for a long time on RaspberryPi with openELEC (LibreELEC now?)  and only problem I have had until now is that videos encoded in x265, HEVC do not play correctly (video starts freezing). Other functionalities are perfect for my taste (missing Netflix app for it and that is the only reason I do not have Netflix subscription)
Now I'm planing to do an upgrade of my old TV into something better.

As far as I know, Kodi is awailable only for Android TV (other TV OS-es do not support Kodi?)

I have tried Kodi on Android device once in the paste (Xtreamer) and it did not work well (slow as hell). For any of you using such combo, how do you feel about it? Any problems / issues worth mentioning?
I'm thinking about Sony Oled 65" (like Sony OLED 4K HDR KD65AG9BAEP), any better ideas?
Hm, can't find edit post so another reply

If you are unhappy with Kodi on android, what would you suggest as alternative?
I do not want to use RaspberryPi after upgrading my TV...
(2021-05-07, 11:18)kzendra Wrote: Hm, can't find edit post so another reply

If you are unhappy with Kodi on android, what would you suggest as alternative?
I do not want to use RaspberryPi after upgrading my TV...
I have a sony tv which I bought for the android, Kodi works fine.  When Sony does an upgrade Kodi will complain a bit but it works itself out.
Addons you have may be happy with kodi but unhappy with sony/android/kodi and sony prefers you install extras from google play and not as addons in kodi.
I have a tv with the Amazon Fire OS on it. I run the Android Kodi via sideloading on it. Works great. Admittedly though I don't do anything high end. The highest resolution any of my media is at 720p. Live tv playback via Mythtv is at 1080p max. I don't even know what most of the terms that people use here mean. Hevc, h.265. All above my head.

Somehow I get the feeling that if you want those "higher end" options for playback and decoding you will need a dedicated device such as an Nvidia Shield. Only saying based on what I've read here. I again have no personal knowledge of that type of thing.
(2021-05-07, 11:13)kzendra Wrote: Hi guys
I've been using Kodi for a long time on RaspberryPi with openELEC (LibreELEC now?)  and only problem I have had until now is that videos encoded in x265, HEVC do not play correctly (video starts freezing). Other functionalities are perfect for my taste (missing Netflix app for it and that is the only reason I do not have Netflix subscription)
Now I'm planing to do an upgrade of my old TV into something better.

As far as I know, Kodi is awailable only for Android TV (other TV OS-es do not support Kodi?)

I have tried Kodi on Android device once in the paste (Xtreamer) and it did not work well (slow as hell). For any of you using such combo, how do you feel about it? Any problems / issues worth mentioning?
I'm thinking about Sony Oled 65" (like Sony OLED 4K HDR KD65AG9BAEP), any better ideas?

I will suggest you to purchase an Andoid TV Box with Amlogic S905x processor. Usually it came with 2 gigs of RAM. It's relatively cheap, it handle 4K okay, it handle 10bit videos (anime) okay with little, forgivable lag. H265? Great! And on top of that, it greatly handles emulation. Paired with a bluetooth controller, I personally run Kodi, PPSSPP, ePSXe, and RetroArch on this little badass.
If you live in a certain country, you can acquire one of this used set top boxes for fraction of price from a certain marketplace.
Just my two cents, I'm using Sony XH950 (2020 model, Europe, latest software Android 9), Kodi 19.0 and I am quite satisfied.

For video all H.264/5 content plays fine including 4K & HDR. I stream over SMB using TV wifi which gives me stable 300+Mbit rates. Over SMB I can play 140Mbit Jellyfish sample video without problems. There is no support for frame rate switching but all content 50Hz live tv (using Kodi PVR, TVHeadend) or 24Hz movies are smooth using TV motion settings clearness 1 smoothness 1 cinema auto, zero artifacts or soap opera effect.

For audio I just installed Sony HT-Z9F soundbar to which I can passthrough most DD and DTS format using eARC. Only problem is that passthrough for TrueHD does not work. There's one fix coming in 19.2 which might solve this issue I hope https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/19607

I also get audio dropouts for Dolby TrueHD which have been reported previously, but not sure if it's related. If sound problems gets solved then it's pretty much perfect for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Android TV0