Viewtype for multiple disc albums (disc sets)
Kodi can handle multiple disc albums (disc sets) with individual artwork for each discs (since v18, see e.g. Disc Set Artwork Improvements).
This feature can be set with setting "Split albums into individual discs" (on/off).

With this feature activated you see discs as individual items first instead of all songs. (Sometimes I like it but sometimes not.)
I wonder the way the disc items are shown: It looks they are displayed with Viewtype Shift as default. After changing the Viewtype to a different one, e.g. InfoWall, this will be used for this album only. It looks it is stored for this specific album.
I don't find a way to set the Viewtype for all albums or as default type. Is there no way to do it?

P.S. It is for the default skin (Estuary).

P.S. 2: I would not call any multiple discs album as disc set
(2021-05-10, 22:51)NeroRome Wrote: P.S. 2: I would not call any multiple discs album as disc set

They aren't sets.  Boxsets are different from multiple disc albums in that each disc is named and you cannot turn off "Split albums into individual discs" for boxsets.  They will always show as discs regardless of that setting, it only affects multi-disc albums that are not sets.
(2021-05-10, 22:51)NeroRome Wrote: I don't find a way to set the Viewtype for all albums or as default type. Is there no way to do it?

As far as I know, this is down to the skin itself but I will ask and check for you.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-05-12, 14:50)black_eagle Wrote: They aren't sets.  Boxsets are different from multiple disc albums in that each disc is named and you cannot turn off "Split albums into individual discs" for boxsets.  They will always show as discs regardless of that setting, it only affects multi-disc albums that are not sets.

I don't understand this ... Maybe I'm just blind.
I don't know how boxsets are defined/identified in/by Kodi. I don't know which metadata tags (coming from Picard) are used to identify them and how they differ from multiple disc albums.
I can also have disc names (Disc Subtitles) for from multiple disc albums (and even for single disc albums).
(2021-05-13, 22:32)NeroRome Wrote: I don't know how boxsets are defined/identified in/by Kodi. I don't know which metadata tags (coming from Picard) are used to identify them and how they differ from multiple disc albums.

Kodi will class a multi-disc album as a boxed set if it
  • Isn't a compilation album
  • Contains three or more discs
  • The discs each have a distinct name (DISCSUBTITLE in Picard)
All three criteria must be met for an album to be added to the boxed sets node.  It's possible to force an album (compilation album for instance) into the boxsets node by adding boxset to the album type tag in Picard.

As an example of how they differ from ordinary multi-disc albums, consider this release https://musicbrainz.org/release/ee3c1c85...8ab16a4812 which is a 3 disc compilation from Bob Dylan and not a box-set, with this one, https://musicbrainz.org/release/994b0f3a...83422ea52a which is also 3 CD's but is a box-set.
(2021-05-10, 22:51)NeroRome Wrote: I don't find a way to set the Viewtype for all albums or as default type. Is there no way to do it?

Yes there is!  You have to edit the file guisettings.xml in your userdata (wiki) directory.  You must do this while Kodi is not running, otherwise the changes will be overwritten.  To change the default view for ALL albums to info-wall, open that file in a test editor and find this bit.
xml:
        <musicnavalbums>
            <viewmode>65536</viewmode>
            <sortmethod>1</sortmethod>
            <sortorder>1</sortorder>
            <sortattributes>0</sortattributes>
        </musicnavalbums>

Change <viewmode>65536</viewmode> to <viewmode>131126</viewmode> and save the file. Restart Kodi and all album views including multi-disc should be info-wall.
Oh, fine. Thx!

Maybe I should have better asked for a different viewmode. Maybe InfoWall is not my preferred mode.
I try to understand the way viewmode works but currently I haven't found the magic file.

P.S.: At least, I think, I know where I can find valid viewmodes: ViewModes6.db (table view)
(2021-05-16, 22:45)NeroRome Wrote: P.S.: At least, I think, I know where I can find valid viewmodes: ViewModes6.db (table view)

Yes, that's correct.  If you exit Kodi and move the current ViewModes6.db out of the Database directory then when you start Kodi again it will create a fresh empty one.  Then just set up the view that you want as default and quit Kodi again.  ViewModes6 will now contain the value for just that view.  Now you can use that in your guisettings.xml file and copy your old ViewModes6.db back over the top of the new one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Viewtype for multiple disc albums (disc sets)0