v19 Concerts & Music Videos in Kodi - Please Read!
Here's some screen shots of Kodi's Estuary skin with a mixture of audio and concert videos for an artist. These are 'out of the box' views, no skin customization:

An audio album highlighted:

A concert video highlighted (note the cover is a video aspect ratio):

The Songs view for a concert video (this is a single MKV file with chapters and a CUE file):

And the Kodi screen when a concert video track is played: (The quality of this 1976 video is not great of course):
Here are some additional focused screenshots from my personal "Music Videos and Concerts" This is also an 'out of the box' view utilising the Estuary Skin, with no customization.

Music / Album views, where as @HomerJau mentioned the rectangular cover aspect ratio is clearly different for our DVD's.
(Utilising stored "folder.jpg" held within each folder of mkv files)

Music / Play view, considering which individual track from original "Peter Gabriel Play DVD" to Watch & Listen to. (Note. fanart background, provided by Kodi Scraper)

Playing / Paused on selected track being watched. "Games without Frontiers" from album "Peter Gabriel 3 (Melt)" released in 1980
(.mkv containing HEVC 720x576 Video with DTS 96/24, 6 Channel Audio)

Music / Artist view (Note. Artist information and images, provided by Kodi Scraper)

I have been switching all my completed "Music Videos" over from Music Video Library into Music Library in Kodi (19.1 Matrix installed on Win Laptop and Rpi4, with files stored on central NAS) this weekend.
Been using latest MMH batch feature to create .cue file within every Music Video folder where almost all my files are now individual .mkv per track.

Got to say it’s working perfectly and am extremely pleased with cleaner consistent look with Music Videos when read into Kodi Music Library. (I have now hidden Music Video option in Estuary Skin)

I think I’m going to stick with method of separating all tracks (even concerts) into individual .mkv’s and load them into Kodi Music Library. CoolSmile
Where HomerJau's Music Media Helper app (Windows Only) makes its easier to organise our personally pre-ripped Music Video and Concert files with necessary additional elements, for use within Kodi Music Library.
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
(2021-05-12, 08:59)HomerJau Wrote: EDIT: You must add .mkv and .mp4 file types (and any other video file types) to the audio files supported by Kodi:

<musicextensions>
  <add>.mkv|.mp4</add>
</musicextensions>

Add this to your advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder.
-- End Edit

Slightly Bad News for the Video Library
Adding these music extensions to the music library messes up the movies playback.

I have used this method since Leia, and there seems to be a small problem which has carried over to Matrix as well. In short, adding .mp4 music extension to the music library causes mp4 movies to freeze during playback. Full post here
I suspect it is a bug but nobody confirmed or even replied to the post. Now I know not many people add videos to the music library.

Before I learnt of the Music Helper App, I used Picard to tag my mp4 music video, which I still prefer because it works great. The drawback is, Picard has no support for .mkv and that is where the Music Helper becomes really helpful  Laugh .

In addition to fully tagging my music videos using Picard and Music Helper, I would add [video] in the album title e.g People (Digital Deluxe) [video] , so that when I or any of my family members scroll the music library we can easily identify albums which are video. Fortunately, KODI relies on the MBID and not the title to match the album, so editing the title is totally safe.

This integration is more than wonderful compared to using the Music Video node but works best for me if individual tracks are split into separate files. If they are not split, I rather leave them alone in the Music Video/Concert section. In other words, some of my music video reside in the music library while others in the concert library. Confused, I know but...
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
That’s pretty weird the .MP4 setting in the Audio library would have any effect on video library playback. Are you sure?

Ive made a new Folder menu nodes that shows only artists with Concert videos. Navigating down I only see concerts from that node. I could make an Audio Only node to see only audio albums. But probably won’t.

Actually, I’m in the middle of a total reorganisation of my music folder structure to better support my browsing/search requirements with new menu nodes for: Stereo, Quad, Surround (not quad), Atmos, Concerts and Music Videos. These will all be music library nodes. No more music video library for me.

On your setup. Have you tried making a CUE file for your concerts you have not split into chapter files and scanning those into the audio library? To me, that works better than splitting and adding to the music video library AND not splitting and adding to the music video library.

Take a look at MMHs new (updated) Chapter Editor tool. You can do a MusicBrainz lookup to name the chapters on a non-split file, then auto create a CUE for the MKV or MP4 source file. It’s fast and easy.
(2021-05-31, 13:17)HomerJau Wrote: That’s pretty weird the .MP4 setting in the Audio library would have any effect on video library playback. Are you sure?

That is what I thought. It is weird very weird. As I described in the post, the issue bugged me for quite some time and I could never have guessed the culprit until I decided to start all over with a separate setup. So, yes, am pretty sure these settings were the problem. The problem is resolved if I remove them.

I have never used the CUE sheets before. I have just downloaded the new version of MMH and will give it a spin. If I can get it to work with single files, I might just do away with the Concert section.

If you could find time to a test the problem I described in the post, I will appreciate because so far, I seem to be the only one. It is not good for my sanity seeing things that others don't  Laugh .
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
A user reported that Music Media Helper (MMH) wouldn’t convert PCM streams in MKVs to MP4 yesterday. After investigation I found MPEG containers (MP4 video and M4A audio) don’t support PCM streams.

Today I released a new MMH release that auto converts any selected PCM stream to FLAC during conversion to MP4 or M4A as a workaround. The FLAC streams are lossless conversions from PCM and play in Kodi 19 perfectly.

MP4 music videos can be tagged and loaded into Kodi’s Music Library.
@HomerJau thank you for this.   After getting a few concert dvds loaded into Kodi I came looking in the forum for how to create playlists of selected tracks from the concert, and possibly combining them with other individual music video files (this is for playback in a home gym)

This looks like a great possible solution to my needs.

It's all working so far apart from the ability for Kodi to automatically launch the tracks in fullscreen mode.
I've made the changes to advancedsettings.xml so the MKV files are supported by the music library, but when I click on a track from the album list the track starts playing in the background behind the album track list.

I need to go to the 'full-screen' option to get the video to play in the foreground.

I'm running on Kodi 19.1.  Any suggestions on what may be stopping the videos launching in fullscreen in the foreground?

Thanks.
I'm still using 19.1 and videos get played in fullscreen automatically. For audio files try this.

Here is the new Kodi 19 Setting to play music (audio) in full screen, in Media Settings:

(2021-10-15, 23:32)HomerJau Wrote: I'm still using 19.1 and videos get played in fullscreen automatically. For audio files try this.

Here is the new Kodi 19 Setting to play music (audio) in full screen, in Media Settings:

Perfect!

The Media->Music->Switch to visualisation on playback -> Enable
worked.

Thanks you.
@HomerJau I also just noticed strange behaviour when playing the music concerts back under the Movie mode.

If I have a MKV that has imbedded chapters, and a corresponding CUE file created, when Kodie plays back under the Movie library the chapter markers are not recognised.
If I delete the CUE file the chapters are recognised as expected.

Have you noticed anything similar?

I can still play the full concert (album) via the Music library, it's just the Movie library now ignores the chapters metadata.

Thanks.
(2021-10-16, 04:06)kidhazy Wrote: @HomerJau I also just noticed strange behaviour when playing the music concerts back under the Movie mode.

If I have a MKV that has imbedded chapters, and a corresponding CUE file created, when Kodie plays back under the Movie library the chapter markers are not recognised.
If I delete the CUE file the chapters are recognised as expected.

Have you noticed anything similar?

I can still play the full concert (album) via the Music library, it's just the Movie library now ignores the chapters metadata.

Thanks.

I found out that if the cue file is named with the MKV name matching the first part of the file name it exhibits the above of 'ignoring' the chapters in Movie mode.  Renaming the cue or mkv file so that the first parts of the files don't match allow 'normal' operation of the chapters in both Movie and Music modes.

As an example:
U2 Rattle and Hum (2008).cue
U2 Rattle and Hum.mkv
The chapters in the MKV will be ignored when the concert is played from the movie library

Renaming the cue file (as an example - adding a hyphen between artist and album):
U2-Rattle and Hum (2008).cue
U2 Rattle and Hum.mkv
The chapters in the MKV will be recognised when the concert is played from either the movie or music library

I'm not sure if you've noticed the same, but the slight renaming of the Cue file allows me to skip chapters in both Movie and Music library modes.

Thanks.
Thanks for your posts @kidhazy

I’ve not tried playing cue files from the video library, but navigating a concert by chapter in the music library would be useful.
Hi, thanks for the work with this. I'm able to add .mkv concerts to the music section and have that part working. Is there a way to enable full screen video playback from the music section? If I need to assign a key on the remote to this how can I go about it - which command.  Thanks.
There is a Kodi setting for music playback in full screen somewhere in the settings. Sorry I can’t remember exactly where but probably in Player settings.
(2022-11-05, 20:25)luminart Wrote: Is there a way to enable full screen video playback from the music section?

Settings > Media > Music >
Switch to visualisation on playback = Enabled
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Concerts & Music Videos in Kodi - Please Read!0