Solved Issue with foldername and structure withmovie library
Brick 
I have a issue with the foldername and structure when I create a movie library in Kodi. All my movies are on a Synology NAS and are connected with NFS. The sourcepath is \\*IP*\video\films\*folderwithmoviename*\*file*.

The folder with the name of the movies are seperated with movies I have already seen and I still have to watch. the movies i haven't seen yet containing a "- folderwithmoviename*". For example:

- movie 1
- movie 2
movie 1
movie 2

When I create a library I pinpoint the source to \\*IP*\video\films\ but somehow the folders in the library doesn't include the "- " for the foldername so there is no seperation between watched and unwatched movies.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong in the options before I start te scan for the library? How can I get the folders in the library with the exact folder name

Thank you for your help.
You should trust the Kodi video database to keep track of what is watched or not. Renaming existing filenames to something else only messes up the Kodi database.
(2021-05-12, 19:42)Klojum Wrote: You should trust the Kodi video database to keep track of what is watched or not. Renaming existing filenames to something else only messes up the Kodi database.

Even if the folders are located on my NAS? Is there also a way you can check a movie as "watched"?
(2021-05-12, 21:31)HSG1984 Wrote: s there also a way you can check a movie as "watched"?
Highlight the movie, call up the Context Menu. Select "Mark as Watched" or pressw on a keyboard.

(2021-05-12, 17:07)HSG1984 Wrote: When I create a library I pinpoint the source to \\*IP*\video\films\ but somehow the folders in the library doesn't include the "- " for the foldername so there is no seperation between watched and unwatched movies.
I am not really sure why you are expecting movies to be marked as watched just because they happen to be in a particular folder. How would Kodi know that is what you want?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-05-12, 21:40)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 21:31)HSG1984 Wrote: s there also a way you can check a movie as "watched"?
Highlight the movie, call up the Context Menu. Select "Mark as Watched" or pressw on a keyboard.
(2021-05-12, 17:07)HSG1984 Wrote: When I create a library I pinpoint the source to \\*IP*\video\films\ but somehow the folders in the library doesn't include the "- " for the foldername so there is no seperation between watched and unwatched movies.
I am not really sure why you are expecting movies to be marked as watched just because they happen to be in a particular folder. How would Kodi know that is what you want?

And can you do that with multiple movies.

KODI doesn't know but when I watched the movie I change the foldername by delete the "- " on the NAS and hopefully that KODI can see that the foldername has been changed.
(2021-05-12, 21:44)HSG1984 Wrote: KODI doesn't know but when I watched the movie I change the foldername by delete the "- " on the NAS and hopefully that KODI can see that the foldername has been changed.
No, it does not work that way. All you are doing there is killing the entry in your library. After you make that change, try playing the movie again. You will notice the entry is now dead as Kodi can no longer find the movie.

After you have added items to your library, don't go fiddling with the files and folders. What you want is done in Kodi, not by rearranging your files and folders.

(2021-05-12, 21:44)HSG1984 Wrote: And can you do that with multiple movies.
Not that I am aware of. If you have a keboard attached, and using the keyboard shortcuts, you can run down the list quite quickly.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-05-12, 21:51)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 21:44)HSG1984 Wrote: KODI doesn't know but when I watched the movie I change the foldername by delete the "- " on the NAS and hopefully that KODI can see that the foldername has been changed.
No, it does not work that way. All you are doing there is killing the entry in your library. After you make that change, try playing the movie again. You will notice the entry is now dead as Kodi can no longer find the movie.

After you have added items to your library, don't go fiddling with the files and folders. What you want is done in Kodi, not by rearranging your files and folders.
(2021-05-12, 21:44)HSG1984 Wrote: And can you do that with multiple movies.
Not that I am aware of. If you have a keboard attached, and using the keyboard shortcuts, you can run down the list quite quickly.

Then I will first have to adapt everything to KODI standards right?

The same as for my series since I have readed the instructions on the following link: https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows

A lot of work because I have a lot of series.
(2021-05-12, 22:28)HSG1984 Wrote: Then I will first have to adapt everything to KODI standards right?
If the movies are already in your library, then it means you already have adopted to Kodi standards. Now you just need to change old habits and not fiddle with the files and folders anymore. All that can be done in Kodi.
For example you can then filter your watched/unwatched movies from the sideblade menu... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Sideblade_Menu
You can create smart playlists to display movies... Playlists (wiki)
You can also add new menu items on compatible skins... Custom home items (wiki)

(2021-05-12, 22:28)HSG1984 Wrote: A lot of work because I have a lot of series.
TV shows are a bit more work. All episodes of a tv show must be in the tv show folder. The episodes need to have the correct numbering (S01E01) to match what is at the scraper site, and the tv show folder must be correctly named.
My Signature
(2021-05-12, 22:43)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-05-12, 22:28)HSG1984 Wrote: Then I will first have to adapt everything to KODI standards right?
If the movies are already in your library, then it means you already have adopted to Kodi standards. Now you just need to change old habits and not fiddle with the files and folders anymore. All that can be done in Kodi.
For example you can then filter your watched/unwatched movies from the sideblade menu... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Sideblade_Menu
You can create smart playlists to display movies... Playlists (wiki)
You can also add new menu items on compatible skins... Custom home items (wiki)
(2021-05-12, 22:28)HSG1984 Wrote: A lot of work because I have a lot of series.
TV shows are a bit more work. All episodes of a tv show must be in the tv show folder. The episodes need to have the correct numbering (S01E01) to match what is at the scraper site, and the tv show folder must be correctly named.

So the folder of the series has to be changed into "TV Shows"? Right now I have "\\*IP*\(mini)series\*seriename*" and that should be "\\*ip*\TV Shows\*seriename*"?
A bit confusing, but my reference to TV Shows was for the actual show ie big bang theory, american gods and not the Source folder.

\(mini)series\ is your Source folder for tv shows. It can be named anything you like. I was referring to this... *seriename*" which should be named as shown at the scraper site. ie... https://www.themoviedb.org/ or https://www.thetvdb.com/ or https://www.tvmaze.com/ depending on which scraper you are using

f:\TVShow1\American Gods\Season 1\American Gods S01E01.mkv
\TVShow1\ = Kodi Source
\American Gods\ = TV Show folder
\Season 1\ = Season folder
\American Gods S01E01.mkv = Episode video file
My Signature
(2021-05-12, 23:22)Karellen Wrote: A bit confusing, but my reference to TV Shows was for the actual show ie big bang theory, american gods and not the Source folder.

\(mini)series\ is your Source folder for tv shows. It can be named anything you like. I was referring to this... *seriename*" which should be named as shown at the scraper site. ie... https://www.themoviedb.org/ or https://www.thetvdb.com/ or https://www.tvmaze.com/ depending on which scraper you are using

f:\TVShow1\American Gods\Season 1\American Gods S01E01.mkv
\TVShow1\ = Kodi Source
\American Gods\ = TV Show folder
\Season 1\ = Season folder
\American Gods S01E01.mkv = Episode video file

Thank you for your answer. Smile One more questions about TV Shows. I'm changing the name to the format of themoviedg.org and according to the wiki page https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Seasons the name of the folder should be *name (year)*. Then a subfolder should be called *Season 1/2/3/4*. But all of the files should be again named *name (year)*. But what if seaons are from different years, for example Game of Thrones?
(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: the name of the folder should be *name (year)*.
Correct. This name is what is matched with the scraper site.

(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: Then a subfolder should be called *Season 1/2/3/4*
Yep. The season folders are ignored by Kodi, so they can be named anything you want. Season 1/2/3/4 is the most obvious choice though.

(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: But all of the files should be again named *name (year)*.
The minimum required file naming is SxxExx.
Adding the tv show name like The Expanse SxxExx is a recommended suggestion.

(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: But what if seaons are from different years, for example Game of Thrones?
Doesn't matter. It plays no part in matching episodes. The TV Show is found and matched from the TV Show folder name. Once the TV Show is matched, the scraper site provides a list of episodes, and your episode files are then matched to this list using the SxxEyy in the filename.
My Signature
(2021-05-13, 09:35)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: the name of the folder should be *name (year)*.
Correct. This name is what is matched with the scraper site.
(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: Then a subfolder should be called *Season 1/2/3/4*
Yep. The season folders are ignored by Kodi, so they can be named anything you want. Season 1/2/3/4 is the most obvious choice though.
(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: But all of the files should be again named *name (year)*.
The minimum required file naming is SxxExx.
Adding the tv show name like The Expanse SxxExx is a recommended suggestion.
(2021-05-13, 09:21)HSG1984 Wrote: But what if seaons are from different years, for example Game of Thrones?
Doesn't matter. It plays no part in matching episodes. The TV Show is found and matched from the TV Show folder name. Once the TV Show is matched, the scraper site provides a list of episodes, and your episode files are then matched to this list using the SxxEyy in the filename.
I think I understand. It will scan on folder with *Season xx* and inside the folder on *name* and *SxxExx* and with that data it will create a library?
Almost.

The top level folder name for each show tells the scraper which show you're talking about ("American Gods" in the multi-colour example above). So it knows where to look in its own database to provide the metadata.

Within that folder, you can optionally have the season/series folders, or as noted indeed any other folder name you may wish (or no sub-folders at all). Everything within the folder tree gets parsed recursively and all the episode file entries are found. Those are individually matched using the SxxExx part of the filename to locate specific season and episode (the S and E part respectively).

So /tvshows/American Gods/American Gods S01E01.mkv , /tvshows/American Gods/Season 1/American Gods S01E01.mkv and /tvshows/American Gods/This is a great show/Unwatched/Pilot Episode S01E01.mkv would all work as they all contain the required information ("American Gods" and "S01E01") enabling the scraper to identify both show and episode correctly.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-05-13, 10:22)DarrenHill Wrote: Almost.

The top level folder name for each show tells the scraper which show you're talking about ("American Gods" in the multi-colour example above). So it knows where to look in its own database to provide the metadata.

Within that folder, you can optionally have the season/series folders, or as noted indeed any other folder name you may wish (or no sub-folders at all). Everything within the folder tree gets parsed recursively and all the episode file entries are found. Those are individually matched using the SxxExx part of the filename to locate specific season and episode (the S and E part respectively).

So /tvshows/American Gods/American Gods S01E01.mkv , /tvshows/American Gods/Season 1/American Gods S01E01.mkv and /tvshows/American Gods/This is a great show/Unwatched/Pilot Episode S01E01.mkv would all work as they all contain the required information ("American Gods" and "S01E01") enabling the scraper to identify both show and episode correctly.

Then it should be this right? It is a example of the serie Bridgerton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with foldername and structure withmovie library0